ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Bowl

Brent H.

Hall Of Fame
Aug 13, 2001
While Gardner will get most of the attention this week as he fights to be a 4th to 7th round guy. This week really belongs to Dillard. What he does this week will not only put him in the 1st round, he could be one of the first LT's taken off the board.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
While Gardner will get most of the attention this week as he fights to be a 4th to 7th round guy. This week really belongs to Dillard. What he does this week will not only put him in the 1st round, he could be one of the first LT's taken off the board.

O Line U. Keep saying it until it’s true.

O Line U. Keep saying it until it’s true.

He gets knocked down a couple of rounds cause he is in the air raid and has never put his hand in the ground.

Dahl has struggled to get on the field in the NFL, Cole Madison was drafted and that is all I have heard about him. Cody was an All American and he wasn't even invited to the combine. I could see Dillard going in 3rd or 4th round. But how he does in the combine will move that one way or another.

He gets knocked down a couple of rounds cause he is in the air raid and has never put his hand in the ground.

Dahl has struggled to get on the field in the NFL, Cole Madison was drafted and that is all I have heard about him. Cody was an All American and he wasn't even invited to the combine. I could see Dillard going in 3rd or 4th round. But how he does in the combine will move that one way or another.

Dillard is going to be a top 35 pick. The Air Raid is the NFL. Nagy, the director of the Senior Bowl said he's going to be a 1st round pick after this week. He isn't going in the 3rd round.

Weird how you haven't heard about Madison because it was discussed on here and in the news all during camp that he was taking a leave for personal reasons. He never reported to camp.

Dillard is going to be a top 35 pick. The Air Raid is the NFL. Nagy, the director of the Senior Bowl said he's going to be a 1st round pick after this week. He isn't going in the 3rd round.

Weird how you haven't heard about Madison because it was discussed on here and in the news all during camp that he was taking a leave for personal reasons. He never reported to camp.

Why is that weird? Let me rephrase. I knew he was taking a personal leave, but I didn't know the leave was for the entire season. Better? So I haven't heard about him since that moment.

If Dillard gets picked in round one that is great.

In Coug EDs world:

Taking A Personal Leave Of Absence from the NFL before training camp is due to playing in the Air Raid. If his hand was in the dirt, he wouldn’t have any personal problems.

Good Lord You’re Weird ED

In Coug EDs world:

Taking A Personal Leave Of Absence from the NFL before training camp is due to playing in the Air Raid. If his hand was in the dirt, he wouldn’t have any personal problems.

What's weird about what I said. You are the one who took creative license. First we are talking about the draft. Air Raid players have BEEN downgraded because of the system they are in. Mahomes and Goff may be changing that. Are you serious you have never heard one radio guy mention that? Guys like Wes Welker who are "system" guys?

Dahl was drafted were he was because of the offense he was in. Same with Madison. They get downgraded by the NFL because they don't put their hand in the ground and drive block. It may be changing but until NOW that has been the reality of the situation. If it wasn't, why would Leach go on the airwaves recently and say the NFL has been missing the boat, as it is a system that can be run in the NFL.

If his Madison's hand was in the dirt with his athletic ability and size he would have gone in earlier rounds, same with Dahl.

How you conflate his leave of absence for reasons I have yet to hear so I couldn't begin to comment on them. And how you link having his hand in the dirt with his personal reasons for leaving is the oddity. I didn't even come close to making some sort of claim.

Last edited:
What's WEIRD about what I said? How you connect the two is beyond me.

First, Madison was a four year starter that some thought would be taken higher. He like falk moved down in the draft, as have others that play in the offense because they don't drive block. The NFL may be shifting gears, but it is a slow shift.

What's weird about what I said. You are the one who took creative license. First we are talking about the draft. Air Raid players have BEEN downgraded because of the system they are in. Mahomes and Goff may be changing that. Are you serious you have never heard one radio guy mention that? Guys like Wes Welker who are "system" guys?

Dahl was drafted were he was because of the offense he was in. Same with Madison. They get downgraded by the NFL because they don't put their hand in the ground and drive block. It may be changing but until NOW that has been the reality of the situation. If it wasn't, why would Leach go on the airwaves recently and say the NFL has been missing the boat, as it is a system that can be run in the NFL.

If his Madison's hand was in the dirt with his athletic ability and size he would have gone in earlier rounds, same with Dahl.

How you conflate his leave of absence for reasons I have yet to hear so I couldn't begin to comment on them. And how you link having his hand in the dirt with his personal reasons for leaving is the oddity. I didn't even come close to making some sort of claim.

Question how highly recruited were either of those guys out of Highschool ? You know the answer. But somehow they are surefire early round NFL draft picks but not for the Air Raid ?

Logic would tell you the only reason that either of those players developed to the point that they were drafted in the NFL was because of the development that they received in college.

Question how highly recruited were either of those guys out of Highschool ? You know the answer. But somehow they are surefire early round NFL draft picks but not for the Air Raid ?

Logic would tell you the only reason that either of those players developed to the point that they were drafted in the NFL was because of the development that they received in college.

Ping...did I say they weren't well developed for what they run in college? Did I say they weren't well coached, and coached up at WSU?

Who says they sure fire NFL first round draft picks? Herc was suppose to go in the 4th round. Some thought Luke was going in the first three. Do you really belieev I am the only one who thinks those players from Mike Leach's air raid system is being downgraded because the offense they are in?

Last edited:
Ping...did I say they weren't well developed for what they run in college? Did I say they weren't well coached, and coached up at WSU?

Who says they sure fire NFL forst round draft picks? Herc was suppose to go in the 4th round. Some thought Luke was going in the first three. Do you really belieev I am the only one who thinks those players from Mike Leach's air raid system is being downgraded because the offense they are in?

I don't think anyone thought Herc was a 4th rounder. Everybody knew his size was an issue. Too slow to play edge, too small to be inside. Falk slid a lot farther than I thought he did, but Cole went where I thought he would. He was one pick away from being in the 4th round.

No, but that doesn't make your opinion wrong. Mahomes, Goff and Baker Mayfield say that you are wrong.

I don't think anyone thought Herc was a 4th rounder. Everybody knew his size was an issue. Too slow to play edge, too small to be inside. Falk slid a lot farther than I thought he did, but Cole went where I thought he would. He was one pick away from being in the 4th round.

No, but that doesn't make your opinion wrong. Mahomes, Goff and Baker Mayfield say that you are wrong.

Well there is no question at the QB position they are taking those players in the first round. But it is fairly new as you point to Goff and Mahomes. And Mahomes, he didn't have the first pick in the draft talent? I would love to see in the last 15 years who has had more physical talent than that kid.

I went back to see how many lineman Leach has had taken in the first two rounds. He hasn't. Will they come around this year, I hope so. And next year with Lucas. The highest picked player he ever had along the oline was Luis Vasquez in the 3rd round. He had a pretty productive NFL career.

Here is what Dahl had to say.- "“Huge thing was we barely ran any schemes,” Dahl said Tuesday. “We were really simple scheme-wise, we never played in a three-point stance, we hardly ever run blocked. It’s just learning all new schemes and all new techniques, it’s entirely different.”" So thinking olineman from this system are downgraded a bit isn't all that far fetched.

Whatever the reason, some had Falk pegged in the second round. Some like Mike Mayock had Cole in the third round.

Whatever the reason it seems like players that were rated higher especially for WSU have fallen lower than what was projected. Kind of make you wonder about Klingsbury, Cumbie, Carr, Halliday. None were really given a true shot, save Carr.

In Coug EDs world:

Shocker. Dickenson Baird gets his arse kicked again.

Reactions: Cougatron

I can probably find a "draft expert" that would project Ed as a third round pick.

Well there is no question at the QB position they are taking those players in the first round. But it is fairly new as you point to Goff and Mahomes. And Mahomes, he didn't have the first pick in the draft talent? I would love to see in the last 15 years who has had more physical talent than that kid.

I went back to see how many lineman Leach has had taken in the first two rounds. He hasn't. Will they come around this year, I hope so. And next year with Lucas. The highest picked player he ever had along the oline was Luis Vasquez in the 3rd round. He had a pretty productive NFL career.

Here is what Dahl had to say.- "“Huge thing was we barely ran any schemes,” Dahl said Tuesday. “We were really simple scheme-wise, we never played in a three-point stance, we hardly ever run blocked. It’s just learning all new schemes and all new techniques, it’s entirely different.”" So thinking olineman from this system are downgraded a bit isn't all that far fetched.

Whatever the reason, some had Falk pegged in the second round. Some like Mike Mayock had Cole in the third round.

Whatever the reason it seems like players that were rated higher especially for WSU have fallen lower than what was projected. Kind of make you wonder about Klingsbury, Cumbie, Carr, Halliday. None were really given a true shot, save Carr.

A lot of factors go into players and way they fall. Dahl was a tweener, great OT in college, but his arms and hands I believe pushed him back in the draft because he was more of a guard. Madison

Also, the NFL is transforming to a passing league. Dillard is one of the most athletic dude in the draft. He's going to put up insande number at the combine with running a sub 5.0 40.

Are you saying Lucas is going to go pro after his RS sophomore year? Lucas is on track to be a 1st round pick too.

Again, I'll be shocked if Dillard isn't a first round pick after this week and the combine.

Who says they sure fire NFL first round draft picks? Herc was suppose to go in the 4th round. Some thought Luke was going in the first three. Do you really belieev I am the only one who thinks those players from Mike Leach's air raid system is being downgraded because the offense they are in?

I don't disagree with you that the NFL had a lot of lazy group thinking going on and most of the franchises have languished because of it. They are now collectively scrambling to adjust which is why you crazy hiring like Kingsbury by the Cardinals.

The old thinking about hand in the dirt technique got a lot Alabama Offensive Linemen big early round contracts and they have been for the most part major busts. Some relevant articles about how those Alabama with "great technique" have been busts.

Go to the middle of the one on Fluker and tell me a Leach O-lineman would not be better at picking up stunts. They face them all of the time unlike the Lineman from Alabama.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/20...tion-bust-terminology-los-angeles-tom-telesco

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...1st-nfler-collect-loss-value-insurance-policy

Last edited:
A lot of factors go into players and way they fall. Dahl was a tweener, great OT in college, but his arms and hands I believe pushed him back in the draft because he was more of a guard. Madison

Also, the NFL is transforming to a passing league. Dillard is one of the most athletic dude in the draft. He's going to put up insande number at the combine with running a sub 5.0 40.

Are you saying Lucas is going to go pro after his RS sophomore year? Lucas is on track to be a 1st round pick too.

Again, I'll be shocked if Dillard isn't a first round pick after this week and the combine.
Abe will be eligible to- yes. My guess he will be evaluated and if he gets the right grade I could see him coming out. .

I don't disagree with you that the NFL had a lot of lazy group thinking going on and most of the franchises have languished because of it. They are now collectively scrambling to adjust which is why you crazy hiring like Kingsbury by the Cardinals.

The old thinking about hand in the dirt technique got a lot Alabama Offensive Linemen big early round contracts and they have been for the most part major busts. Some relevant articles about how those Alabama with "great technique" have been busts.

Go to the middle of the one on Fluker and tell me a Leach O-lineman would not be better at picking up stunts. They face them all of the time unlike the ones from Alabama.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/20...tion-bust-terminology-los-angeles-tom-telesco

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...1st-nfler-collect-loss-value-insurance-policy

I don't need to see Fluker. But the scout will say show me an Air raid olineman drive block. I never said the NFL wasn't backwards. I simply said that has been their thinking.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
FWIW I had the opportunity to meet an veteran offensive line coach ( over 30 years coaching in the NFL) about 3 years ago through business dealings, spent time with him off an on over a 2 year period. He coached the offensive line for two teams the made it to the Super Bowl, one of them won it all. So I'd like to think he knew what he was talking about. At that time Joe Dahl was coming out, and I asked him how much not playing with his "hand in the dirt" would hurt him. He immediately went off and said don't listen to those ESPN idiots they have no idea what they are talking about, HAND IN THE DIRT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, you can teach that. His keys were he has to be athletic, with quickness, good feet, balance, leverage and arm length. He also said he would look closely at the shuttle drill, and said he would never take an Offensive lineman that ran it over 5.0 regardless of how good the other measurable were.

He also got back to me a few weeks later, and was doing consulting work and reviews of offensive linemen in the 2016 draft. He said here are my thoughts on your Cougar player Joe Dahl; good player, won't get drafted high, but should get drafted. Maybe a starter someday, but most likely a good backup, was versatile and would serve a valuable roll on most NFL rosters, as it is difficult for an offensive linemen to start every game, and he could fill an important roll. Then his next statement surprised me, "you know that big lineman from Stanford everyone is talking about, Garnett, I wouldn't touch him, not athletic enough."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT