ADVERTISEMENT

Spokane media and WSU?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
A lot of has been said, written and documented how the Seattle media's favorable coverage benefits UW and negatively impacts WSU when it comes to local high school players, recruiting and their college choices.

But I wonder if the Spokane media is failing to do the same for the Cougars with GSL players?

With Gonzaga receiver Devin Culp's commitment to the Huskies (and it's still a long way from signing day) and University's Campbell Barrington announcing for BYU, it seems like there's been an emerging trend the last couple years: Central Valley K Ryan Rehnkow (BYU), Gonzaga Prep DE Evan Weaver (Cal), Central Valley OL Scott Peck (Utah), U-High OL Clark Barrington (BYU), Shadle Park QB Brett Rypien (Boise State), Mead LB Danny Mattingly (Oregon), Gonzaga Prep DE Charlies Hopkins (Stanford/Virginia) and G-Prep RB Bishop Sankey (UW) decided to leave the area to play college football.

I don't know how actively Paul Wulff or Mike Leach recruited these any or all of these kids or whether they were even good fits for WSU, but I just wonder are the newspaper and TV stations in Spokane doing something to push these recruits elsewhere? Or is this not even an issue with CML regularly landing 4-star and high 3-star kids from Oregon, California, Florida, etc.?

In my opinion -- largely due to years of mediocrity one could argue -- Spokane as a market, hasn't really viewed the Cougs like "their team."

I think the more consistent we get with this program, some of that stigma will change for football. Basketball is another story all together.

That's what we see in Seattle. UW athletics being seen as a Seattle team.

A lot of has been said, written and documented how the Seattle media's favorable coverage benefits UW and negatively impacts WSU when it comes to local high school players, recruiting and their college choices.

But I wonder if the Spokane media is failing to do the same for the Cougars with GSL players?

With Gonzaga receiver Devin Culp's commitment to the Huskies (and it's still a long way from signing day) and University's Campbell Barrington announcing for BYU, it seems like there's been an emerging trend the last couple years: Central Valley K Ryan Rehnkow (BYU), Gonzaga Prep DE Evan Weaver (Cal), Central Valley OL Scott Peck (Utah), U-High OL Clark Barrington (BYU), Shadle Park QB Brett Rypien (Boise State), Mead LB Danny Mattingly (Oregon), Gonzaga Prep DE Charlies Hopkins (Stanford/Virginia) and G-Prep RB Bishop Sankey (UW) decided to leave the area to play college football.

I don't know how actively Paul Wulff or Mike Leach recruited these any or all of these kids or whether they were even good fits for WSU, but I just wonder are the newspaper and TV stations in Spokane doing something to push these recruits elsewhere? Or is this not even an issue with CML regularly landing 4-star and high 3-star kids from Oregon, California, Florida, etc.?

It's a Gonzaga town.

I've never watched the Spokane TV stations on a regular basis.

Is Cougar Football the dominant sports story during the fall?

I'm guessing Gonzaga is the top story from November through March, but does WSU Basketball at least get a strong No. 2 billing on the ABC//NBC/CBS and Fox affiliates?

I've never watched the Spokane TV stations on a regular basis.

Is Cougar Football the dominant sports story during the fall?

I'm guessing Gonzaga is the top story from November through March, but does WSU Basketball at least get a strong No. 2 billing on the ABC//NBC/CBS and Fox affiliates?
Yea, in winter Spokane is a Gonzaga town. For all the crap Spokane gets, I don't get how that's a span to far, to grasp. Drive 15 minutes to the Kennel or an hour (one way) on a crappy road. Just that is a factor. I guess WSU gets 2nd billing. But we've sucked for quite a while.

Every TV station has their rundown.
I'm not 100% sure but I wanna say it was local stuff first, then regional, then national. That is the order of emphasis for the TV stations. The exact order would vary. If Eastern was #2 in the FCS but WSU was working hard at winning 2 games in a season, Eastern would get first billing, as an example. And sometimes if Seahawks are doing incredible, yeah, I think I can remember them getting top story.

But here's the real thing... I can't say that they "emphasize" WSU. For example, Seattle press has swallowed whatever UW is handing out. They do it with gusto, sometimes. I can't say I know of any Spokane Sports anchor that has WSU on that same level of support. I don't know that we have a sports radio show that has WSU as THEIR team. They cover WSU because its local! But there are no fluff stories about how awesome WSU is or they won't go on and on about Gabe Marks and how great he is and how the NFL should be getting him first round, kinda hype. No hype. Seattle hypes Ewe up. Spokane, it seems to report WSU.

I can't say that they "emphasize" WSU. For example, Seattle press has swallowed whatever UW is handing out. They do it with gusto, sometimes. I can't say I know of any Spokane Sports anchor that has WSU on that same level of support. I don't know that we have a sports radio show that has WSU as THEIR team. They cover WSU because its local! But there are no fluff stories about how awesome WSU is or they won't go on and on about Gabe Marks and how great he is and how the NFL should be getting him first round, kinda hype. No hype. Seattle hypes Ewe up. Spokane, it seems to report WSU.

Hard to figure why.

Leach is a quote machine. Wulff seems like a really likable guy. Bill Moos always has something interesting to say. Ernie Kent seems very open with the media.

It seems like these would be the kind of folks the Spokane media would enjoy covering, especially when Mr. Moos goes out of his way to relocate the spring game to Joe Albi Stadium.

So how does that low-key Spokane approach impact the top local recruits in regards to choosing WSU over other Pac-12 options?

I only visit back home in greater Spokane once or twice per year, so I am no authority. But it has seemed to me for decades that there are more WSU alums in broadcast in Seattle than in Spokane. At least it seems that way. If true, that may also be a factor.

I don't know. My take...if you're in Spokane and work in broadcast... either TV, Radio, or even the paper, (and it's your career), it's a big deal.

Outside of Spokane, you're not a major market, and consistently overlooked, getting some respect, but it's considered a small market. Therefore, the COUGS don't have that dominant media backing them, except the beat writers from Seattle/Tacoma, with some reasonable exposure in Seattle's TV and Radio market.

The LDS kids want to go to BYU.

Easy. Everything is influenced by money, There's plenty of rich UW alum in the Seattle area who likely have influence over the local media stroking UW at every turn. I don't think that's really the case in Spokane, so you get more of the plain ol reporting.

I do think WSU needs to continue to make an effort to prime the Spokane market for interest which would certainly help recruiting there too. Only big time football within a short drive, should be able to consistently get 15,000 down from Spokane on a Saturday and I doubt we sniff 5k.

Easy. Everything is influenced by money, There's plenty of rich UW alum in the Seattle area who likely have influence over the local media stroking UW at every turn. I don't think that's really the case in Spokane, so you get more of the plain ol reporting.

I do think WSU needs to continue to make an effort to prime the Spokane market for interest which would certainly help recruiting there too. Only big time football within a short drive, should be able to consistently get 15,000 down from Spokane on a Saturday and I doubt we sniff 5k.

I've always wondered what that actual number is. If the number is 5000 coming from down from Spokane from a population of 500K is that really a lot different than 40-50k Seattle area fans at a uw game? Especially when everyone coming from Spokane has at least a 70 minute drive and there are almost 4 million within 45 minutes of husky stadium.

Now if the number is only 1500-2000 coming down from Spokane that kind of sucks.

Last edited:
Yea, in winter Spokane is a Gonzaga town. For all the crap Spokane gets, I don't get how that's a span to far, to grasp. Drive 15 minutes to the Kennel or an hour (one way) on a crappy road. Just that is a factor. I guess WSU gets 2nd billing. But we've sucked for quite a while.

Every TV station has their rundown.
I'm not 100% sure but I wanna say it was local stuff first, then regional, then national. That is the order of emphasis for the TV stations. The exact order would vary. If Eastern was #2 in the FCS but WSU was working hard at winning 2 games in a season, Eastern would get first billing, as an example. And sometimes if Seahawks are doing incredible, yeah, I think I can remember them getting top story.

But here's the real thing... I can't say that they "emphasize" WSU. For example, Seattle press has swallowed whatever UW is handing out. They do it with gusto, sometimes. I can't say I know of any Spokane Sports anchor that has WSU on that same level of support. I don't know that we have a sports radio show that has WSU as THEIR team. They cover WSU because its local! But there are no fluff stories about how awesome WSU is or they won't go on and on about Gabe Marks and how great he is and how the NFL should be getting him first round, kinda hype. No hype. Seattle hypes Ewe up. Spokane, it seems to report WSU.
And Harry Missildine has been rotating in his crypt ever since he got there.

Reactions: PatBaum
I think we need to keep winning and the media issue will take care of itself. Any loss of local talent is disappointing, but each case has its own story behind it. Can't take any local talent for granted (not that I think this is happening).

Sometimes the grass looks greener and the sun warmer in other places away from the local Pac12 school.

Any loss of local talent is disappointing, but each case has its own story behind it.

Very good point.

As dgibbons pointed out, a few of these kids were apparently LDS and may well have been a done deal for BYU.

As a tight end, Culp doesn't necessarily fit Coach Leach's scheme.

Rypien reportedly took a glance at WSU's loaded depth chart at QB and decided to take a quicker path to playing time.

Not sure, but didn't Mattingly's older brother have some kind of issue while playing for the Cougs?

Sankey started high school in Akron before moving to the Spokane area, so he probably didn't grow up following WSU Football.

Not sure about Hopkins, Weaver and Peck -- did WSU even recruit these players?

As someone who has been close to GSL Football the last 33yrs, I have to weigh in on the opening post and concerns about Coug recruiting in Spokane.

Not trying to offend anyone, but overall I think WSU has only really missed out on a small amount of impact Power-5 GSL kids over the past 30+ years.

Sankey, Weaver, Austin Rehkow. These were freaky players that the league hadn't witnessed prior.

Two kids who blossomed well into college were: CE Kaiser & Will Davis, but those were 1'offs & great stories of perseverance.

Reality, the GSL just doesn't produce D1 talent. Sorry, but it just doesn't.

As stated above, LDS Kids will always choose BYU like all other cities not just Spokane.

But, the reality is the Cougs have done well with the D1 talent they have gotten from the GSL and I would argue that 80% of those Spokane kids that have left the area for other D1 programs haven't had the careers that the kids that picked WSU have had.

As Biggs has said here many times, you gotta fish where there is fish.

To bring it full circle: James Williams in the GSL would have crushed Bishiop Sankey's untouchable rushing records. If Gabe Marks played 3yrs in the GSL, he would have put up Receiving Yardage that trumped the GSL's Passing Leaders last season.

Reactions: Coug95man2
PeteTheChop,

A few points to your comments.

1) Culp was around at least as a 5th grader in Spokane. UW saying TE is interesting to me since he's only played WR in a run happy option offense & he's the same size as WSU's Isaiah Johnson-Mack & Dezmon Patmon (6'4 220lbs)
2) Rypien was a January transfer and Falk was coming off a great year #1. Not a fit.
3) The Cougs landed the better Mattingly (Andy). No question about that.
4) Sankey was at Gonzaga Prep all 4 years
5) Cougs tried, but Weaver was never going to WSU
6) Charlie Hopkins wanted a Stanford Education (G-Prep has had a strong Stanford pipeline over 30yrs Dinny Hansen, Glen Cavanaugh, Justin Strand)

PeteTheChop,

A few points to your comments.

1) Culp was around at least as a 5th grader in Spokane. UW saying TE is interesting to me since he's only played WR in a run happy option offense & he's the same size as WSU's Isaiah Johnson-Mack & Dezmon Patmon (6'4 220lbs)
2) Rypien was a January transfer and Falk was coming off a great year #1. Not a fit.
3) The Cougs landed the better Mattingly (Andy). No question about that.
4) Sankey was at Gonzaga Prep all 4 years
5) Cougs tried, but Weaver was never going to WSU
6) Charlie Hopkins wanted a Stanford Education (G-Prep has had a strong Stanford pipeline over 30yrs Dinny Hansen, Glen Cavanaugh, Justin Strand)

Excellent insider info, thanks. Any idea if CML made a push for the Central Valley lineman who redshirted as a freshman for the Utes last fall?

Interesting to hear your evaluation of the GSL. There's a poster on 'Brand X' who is a huge believer in the Greater Spokane League. I can practically hear him typing a rebuttal, lol

Hard to figure why.

Leach is a quote machine. Wulff seems like a really likable guy. Bill Moos always has something interesting to say. Ernie Kent seems very open with the media.

It seems like these would be the kind of folks the Spokane media would enjoy covering, especially when Mr. Moos goes out of his way to relocate the spring game to Joe Albi Stadium.

So how does that low-key Spokane approach impact the top local recruits in regards to choosing WSU over other Pac-12 options?
I think Whitworth has outlined well the impact for recruits. It doesn't. GSL has a few recruits a year that are good, solid recruits. Some are blue collar and see the field strictly out of work ethic. But those freaky, athletic (genetics) recruits? There aren't that many around here. Not the population density. But to further this concept... Not how it impacts the recruits but how does it impact the fans?! Without hype, can the fans get "hyped"? Just a thought.

Someone (maybe you) mentioned that it seems like there are more WSU alumni in the Seattle media market than in Spokane... There might be some truth to that! Don't know that for a fact so this COUld be fraudulent. BUT Spokane is a stepping stone for many. Mull around Yakima (or Lewiston), then hit Tri-Cities... After Tri-Cities head up to Spokane and then your next step can be Portland or Eugene THEN Seattle or if you have talent, go straight to Seattle. If talent wants to stay in the NW, that's the path. Period. There is media folk that have stuck around but that's because they've accepted Spokane. Love the smaller town and all the things that come with it. Not the biggest pay check but enough to live quite comfortably and still have the vanity of everyone knowing who you are. But if you are the eager Beaver, you want to get into a "bigger, better" job? Spokane is just a pit stop. We have Cougs in Spokane but I can't tell you if they are the Sports Anchors/reporters. That, I believe, is part of the issue regarding the lack of hype. Example: Even the moderators for this site... Live on the West side... Other sites? ... West siders. One or 2 that are over here but not many.

I think Whitworth has outlined well the impact for recruits. It doesn't. GSL has a few recruits a year that are good, solid recruits. Some are blue collar and see the field strictly out of work ethic. But those freaky, athletic (genetics) recruits? There aren't that many around here. Not the population density. But to further this concept... Not how it impacts the recruits but how does it impact the fans?! Without hype, can the fans get "hyped"? Just a thought.

Someone (maybe you) mentioned that it seems like there are more WSU alumni in the Seattle media market than in Spokane... There might be some truth to that! Don't know that for a fact so this COUld be fraudulent. BUT Spokane is a stepping stone for many. Mull around Yakima (or Lewiston), then hit Tri-Cities... After Tri-Cities head up to Spokane and then your next step can be Portland or Eugene THEN Seattle or if you have talent, go straight to Seattle. If talent wants to stay in the NW, that's the path. Period. There is media folk that have stuck around but that's because they've accepted Spokane. Love the smaller town and all the things that come with it. Not the biggest pay check but enough to live quite comfortably and still have the vanity of everyone knowing who you are. But if you are the eager Beaver, you want to get into a "bigger, better" job? Spokane is just a pit stop. We have Cougs in Spokane but I can't tell you if they are the Sports Anchors/reporters. That, I believe, is part of the issue regarding the lack of hype. Example: Even the moderators for this site... Live on the West side... Other sites? ... West siders. One or 2 that are over here but not many.

Good stuff!

I wonder what else Mr. Moos might do to generate enthusiasm for WSU athletics in Spokane; he certainly seems to be working hard to attract those fans "on the fence."

I mentioned a while back about WSU playing a game or two each season at Joe Albi — similar to what the University of Arkansas has done in Little Rock for a number of years.

Most people here shot the down that suggestion, but I wonder if moving the Oregon State game to Spokane this fall — when the Cougs otherwise will have 5 Pullman games in a 27-day span — might have been a good resolution for a quirk in scheduling.

Good stuff!

I wonder what else Mr. Moos might do to generate enthusiasm for WSU athletics in Spokane; he certainly seems to be working hard to attract those fans "on the fence."

I mentioned a while back about WSU playing a game or two each season at Joe Albi — similar to what the University of Arkansas has done in Little Rock for a number of years.

Most people here shot the down that suggestion, but I wonder if moving the Oregon State game to Spokane this fall — when the Cougs otherwise will have 5 Pullman games in a 27-day span — might have been a good resolution for a quirk in scheduling.

Don't like that idea of moving a game to Spokane. No offense to Spokane...but home games should be in Pullman (and I live west of the mountains...fyi).

Sept. 2 vs. Montana State AT Pullman
Sept. 9 vs. Boise State AT Pullman
Sept. 16 vs. Oregon State AT Pullman
Sept. 23 vs. Nevada AT Pullman
Sept. 29 vs. USC AT Pullman

Shifting the OSU game to Spokane would be another example of Mr. Moos reaching out to WSU Nation in Spokane. If the Cougs are coming off a big win over Boise, can anyone envision Joe Albi NOT being sold out when the Beavers come to town?

Reactions: Orecoug
Sept. 2 vs. Montana State AT Pullman
Sept. 9 vs. Boise State AT Pullman
Sept. 16 vs. Oregon State AT Pullman
Sept. 23 vs. Nevada AT Pullman
Sept. 29 vs. USC AT Pullman

Shifting the OSU game to Spokane would be another example of Mr. Moos reaching out to WSU Nation in Spokane. If the Cougs are coming off a big win over Boise, can anyone envision Joe Albi NOT being sold out when the Beavers come to town?

Probably quite a few Spokanites that would drive to Joe Albi but not Pullman.

I'm surprised one of those games isn't in Seattle.

On the Spokane subject, Joe Albi is pretty much a dump (though I love the beer garden at the spring game). If it was a decent stadium I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to play a game there every 2-3 years so Spokane folks would feel more like WSU was the hometown school.

Seattle is a terrible idea. Joe Albi is the dumbest idea I've seen here in a long time.

Conference home game at a high school stadium? Jesus H. Christ. You guys are small potatoes. Is this big boy football? You know this is the PAC 12 right???

What would any SEC head coach say if someone suggested playing at a high school stadium an hour away from their stadium to increase fan interest???

"Coach Saban, what do you think about playing a conference home game at a high school stadium an hour away?"

"Security, escort that idiot out of the building."

Tell me again why you pour tens of millions of dollars into a stadium remodel and ops building only to move a home game to a high school stadium???

Seattle is a terrible idea. Joe Albi is the dumbest idea I've seen here in a long time.

Conference home game at a high school stadium? Jesus H. Christ. You guys are small potatoes. Is this big boy football? You know this is the PAC 12 right???

What would any SEC head coach say if someone suggested playing at a high school stadium an hour away from their stadium to increase fan interest???

"Coach Saban, what do you think about playing a conference home game at a high school stadium an hour away?"

"Security, escort that idiot out of the building."

Tell me again why you pour tens of millions of dollars into a stadium remodel and ops building only to move a home game to a high school stadium???

Not sure comparing what works for Alabama and what works for WSU is apples to apples.

The Spokane (or Seattle) game in this case would've been a break from having games in Pullman five consecutive weeks (and a "gift" to WSU fans in Spokane).

IMO, going from seven to six games in Pullman for the 2017 season wouldn't have made the Martin Stadium remodel any less of a benefit for Cougar Athletics going forward.

Good stuff!

Pete, you do know we played two or three games a year at Joe Albi back in the 70's and early 80's. It still didn't create the rabid Coug fan that would drive 90 miles to see the Cougs. If Pullman was in Alabama they wouldn't think twice about a three hour drive each way to see their favorite team. We just don't have that type of fanaticism among our fans.

Pete, you do know we played two or three games a year at Joe Albi back in the 70's and early 80's. It still didn't create the rabid Coug fan that would drive 90 miles to see the Cougs. If Pullman was in Alabama they wouldn't think twice about a three hour drive each way to see their favorite team. We just don't have that type of fanaticism among our fans.

I keep hearing about the fanaticism Spokane shows for the Zags and thinking maybe part of that enthusiasm could be captured with WSU Football for one game each fall (and maybe catch the attention of some local recruits, too).

But if not ever playing is Spokane or Seattle is the way to go, then so be it.

Not sure comparing what works for Alabama and what works for WSU is apples to apples.

The Spokane (or Seattle) game in this case would've been a break from having games in Pullman five consecutive weeks (and a "gift" to WSU fans in Spokane).

IMO, going from seven to six games in Pullman for the 2017 season wouldn't have made the Martin Stadium remodel any less of a benefit for Cougar Athletics going forward.

Insert any Power 5 head coach into my post. Doesn't have to be Saban.

It's an hour drive. Not a 6 hour drive. Not a 12 hour drive. And they need a gift of driving across town? Good grief.

What's the capacity of Joe Albi? How does WSU make $$$???

What is it that you think other coaches say about WSU when recruiting against them? They already have a small stadium. Now they're gonna move games to an even smaller facility? Dumbest idea ever.

Who cares if there are that many games close together? Not every fan has to go to every game. Clearly, with WSU not having a series of sellouts, not every fan is going to every game anyways.

Your opinion about the remodel is dumb. You don't spend tens of millions and say, "oh well, one game in a rinky dink stadium won't hurt our already small budget." Absolutely ridiculous. Let's say WSU generates $1,000,000 per home game. What does your grand idea of Joe Albi generate? $75,000? $200,000? Not strong business math.

Big time, power 5 teams don't think like this. Could you imagine recruiting against the conference team you played at Joe Albi? What would they say? Go to WSU, play at high school stadiums!

I keep hearing about the fanaticism Spokane shows for the Zags and thinking maybe part of that enthusiasm could be captured with WSU Football for one game each fall (and maybe catch the attention of some local recruits, too).

But if not ever playing is Spokane or Seattle is the way to go, then so be it.
Pete let me ask you the following.. what do you think will happen if we play one game in Spokane a year? How many students do you think will attend? How many will drink and drive? That is one issue, but what do you think the people in Spokane will come to expect? If you can do one. why can't you do two? If you can do two, what about three? People are creatures of habit.

Some have said when WSU moved all the games down to Martin stadium there was a backlash from the people of Spokane.

In terms of basketball, you only need 14k crazies and that is enough.

Biggs and Ed,

Both of you know more about WSU Football then I ever will, so I certainly defer to your opinions in this discussion.

Really just got to thinking about the Spokane area because I heard a guy on sports talk blasting Leach's recruiting efforts because the kid from G-Prep and the quarterback from CDA did not commit to WSU recently.

But seems like expanding the Spokane Cougar Fanbase involves more than whoever the football and basketball coaches are at any particular time.

I'd love to hear the answer whatever it may be.

Biggs and Ed,

Both of you know more about WSU Football then I ever will, so I certainly defer to your opinions in this discussion.

Really just got to thinking about the Spokane area because I heard a guy on sports talk blasting Leach's recruiting efforts because the kid from G-Prep and the quarterback from CDA did not commit to WSU recently.

But seems like expanding the Spokane Cougar Fanbase involves more than whoever the football and basketball coaches are at any particular time.

I'd love to hear the answer whatever it may be.

To be honest I am not sure there is an answer. Attending live activities is only getting harder, not easier. Pac 12 while should be a great thing hurts WSU in terms of a live gate. It is Saturday night and the Cougs play at 7 on TV, that will keep a lot of people home. Jim Walden took on the people of Spokane and that was the beginning of the end for him. The cache of the 81 Holiday Bowl plus a new AD could not hold off the hangman. So he finally took another job.

He would say he would drive backwards from Spokane to watch the Cougs. They are casual fans and my guess is they always will be.

To be honest I am not sure there is an answer. Attending live activities is only getting harder, not easier. Pac 12 while should be a great thing hurts WSU in terms of a live gate. It is Saturday night and the Cougs play at 7 on TV, that will keep a lot of people home. Jim Walden took on the people of Spokane and that was the beginning of the end for him. The cache of the 81 Holiday Bowl plus a new AD could not hold off the hangman. So he finally took another job.

He would say he would drive backwards from Spokane to watch the Cougs. They are casual fans and my guess is they always will be.
I will disagree with this concept of Spokane. If you look at it from a neutral perspective, Spokane is a Sports driven town. Hoopfest (they shut down all of downtown for this), Bloomsday (if you've never been, you should. Incredible)... you look at the population of this town/area and realize it supports Gonzaga, Eastern, Whitworth (for what they are worth), WSU, The Spokane Chiefs... etc. etc. Per Capita, Spokane supports it's teams, and is fairly active with sports as a town. They actually "take care of their own" pretty well. WSU is just a different beast. And football has burned for so long... Price did well, a decade hole and now CML is doing well... But really... that's it. I'd submit we are NOW in the Golden Age of WSU football. Regardless of any other point that's been made, how excited can people be about a school they didn't attend and a football team that's been mediocre for so long? Takes time to build fandom.

Every off season, this comes up. There are many, many layers to the Spokane issue. And not only are there layers, the layers are tangled. Bottom line, I do believe winning will eventually fix all issues. But consistency is what will win Spokane over, more than anything. Not a spurt here, then when CML leaves we get Wulff Redu and we suck all over again at the bottom of the cellar. Consistency will win over Spokane, IMHO. How long is "consistency" defined by? Who knows... when Spokane starts traveling better.

Another slight point in the overall marketing concept for WSU that I touched on above... WSU needs to start finding a way to get non-alumni involved in their sports. How? With that kind of travel? Don't know. But IMHO, that's the missing key. THAT is the difference between just about any other school and WSU attendance.

I will disagree with this concept of Spokane. If you look at it from a neutral perspective, Spokane is a Sports driven town. Hoopfest (they shut down all of downtown for this), Bloomsday (if you've never been, you should. Incredible)... you look at the population of this town/area and realize it supports Gonzaga, Eastern, Whitworth (for what they are worth), WSU, The Spokane Chiefs... etc. etc. Per Capita, Spokane supports it's teams, and is fairly active with sports as a town. They actually "take care of their own" pretty well. WSU is just a different beast. And football has burned for so long... Price did well, a decade hole and now CML is doing well... But really... that's it. I'd submit we are NOW in the Golden Age of WSU football. Regardless of any other point that's been made, how excited can people be about a school they didn't attend and a football team that's been mediocre for so long? Takes time to build fandom.

Every off season, this comes up. There are many, many layers to the Spokane issue. And not only are there layers, the layers are tangled. Bottom line, I do believe winning will eventually fix all issues. But consistency is what will win Spokane over, more than anything. Not a spurt here, then when CML leaves we get Wulff Redu and we suck all over again at the bottom of the cellar. Consistency will win over Spokane, IMHO. How long is "consistency" defined by? Who knows... when Spokane starts traveling better.

Another slight point in the overall marketing concept for WSU that I touched on above... WSU needs to start finding a way to get non-alumni involved in their sports. How? With that kind of travel? Don't know. But IMHO, that's the missing key. THAT is the difference between just about any other school and WSU attendance.

Consistently putting out a winner, for 20 years in a row, is what brought Gonzaga to be such a big deal in Spokane.

Tell me, how many times in the last 100 years has WSU football put together a string of 3 winning seasons in a row?

Very good point.

As dgibbons pointed out, a few of these kids were apparently LDS and may well have been a done deal for BYU.

As a tight end, Culp doesn't necessarily fit Coach Leach's scheme.

Rypien reportedly took a glance at WSU's loaded depth chart at QB and decided to take a quicker path to playing time.

Not sure, but didn't Mattingly's older brother have some kind of issue while playing for the Cougs?

Sankey started high school in Akron before moving to the Spokane area, so he probably didn't grow up following WSU Football.

Not sure about Hopkins, Weaver and Peck -- did WSU even recruit these players?

If we're going to back to the dark ages of the Wulff era- why the hell would any highly sought recruit choose WSU?

I don't know how hard WSU did or did not recruit Peck. What I can say is that a guy that is a 6-6, 270+, Pac-12 OL prospect ought to be able to get onto the basketball court in the GSL. At least at the end of the half, to rebound, garbage time, something.

1895-1897 WSU was 6-0-1.
1906-1909 WSU was 21-2-2, 4 winning seasons in a row.
1914-1917 WSU was 17-2-1.
1919-1921 WSU was 14-5-1.
1928-1936 WSU was 59-23-5, 9 winning seasons in a row.
1941-1942, 1945 WSU was 18-8-2, 3 winning seasons in a row. WW2 took two seasons away.
1957-1959 WSU was 19-11.
2001-2003 WSU was 30-8.

Since WW2 WSU has had 3 winning seasons in a row 3 times. Think that might be why Spokane doesn't drive an hour down the highway for a ballgame???

WSU has tried losing. Maybe it's time to try winning???

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Plain and simple - WSU has treated Spokane like it owes WSU something. Gonzaga has treated Spokane like it owes Spokane something.

If that needs to be explained or defended, then go back and read it again.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Consistently putting out a winner, for 20 years in a row, is what brought Gonzaga to be such a big deal in Spokane.

Tell me, how many times in the last 100 years has WSU football put together a string of 3 winning seasons in a row?
Completely agree.

To also give a gauge, yes, Gonzaga built The Kennel in 2003. They are JUST NOW building a Sports building... our version of the Football complex building, for the basketball teams... JUST NOW! A team that could be argued to be #2 in the nation, has gone to the NCAA for I don't know how many consecutive years and several NBA players drafted and they JUST NOW are building facilities. Just putting that out there... Yes, we needed facilities. Not arguing that. But I also think Gonzaga is proof, facilities is not the only way to skin a cat. Culture, coaching... THOSE are ultimately the foundation of a great program. And once you get the ball rolling, you BETTER keep it going... I'm sure Monson will forever be kicking himself in the head for leaving Gonzaga but the program kept it going with the next hire, Mark Few.

Where is all this Gonzaga analogy talk going? CML has proven that he can win in Pullman. Barring something odd, I hope/pray that continues. The thought thats creeping in my head is, will the administration drop the ball on the next hire? Like after Price? Or can we keep the ball rolling this time? And I think the analogy holds water with our basketball program, as well.

Consistency is the key to life, it is CERTAINLY the key to building a successful football/sports program. And it won't come over night. It's a slow grinding gear.

Back to the original question about Spokane and the media, I've seen and heard quite a few ads for WSU football lately with a mention of the Soring game at the end of the ad. WSU is at least trying this year which hasnt always been the case.

From what I know, the media has very little impact on Spokane.

~ Spokesmen is bare bones these days
~ Sports talk is 80 yr old Patchin & Lukens
~ TV guys all under 27 & Wazzu Alum

Kids under 14 are trading in their Neon Green for Purple.

Outside of Gonzaga, most are Duke Fans

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT