ADVERTISEMENT

Tay Martin says it best ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
On the benefits of competition: "If you’re not out there trying to get better every play, there’s a problem and it could hurt our team.”
The antithesis of Marpuss Wilson and the days of 6 and 40 yore. Thank you, Coach Leach et al.

On the benefits of competition: "If you’re not out there trying to get better every play, there’s a problem and it could hurt our team.”
The antithesis of Marpuss Wilson and the days of 6 and 40 yore. Thank you, Coach Leach et al.

Guess the mindset isn't understood until the winning takes place.

Can't resist.

Us unfair, mean-spirited, bully, blogger guys did not approve when Wulff went an entire season without ever leading a game in regulation. A whole freaking season without even having a lead in regulation. Or going the entire season without scoring a TD in the first quarter of a game. WSU got outscored 176-9 in the first quarter for 2009 season. The games were literally over as soon as they began.

Can't resist.

Us unfair, mean-spirited, bully, blogger guys did not approve when Wulff went an entire season without ever leading a game in regulation. A whole freaking season without even having a lead in regulation. Or going the entire season without scoring a TD in the first quarter of a game. WSU got outscored 176-9 in the first quarter for 2009 season. The games were literally over as soon as they began.

Yowzer....I had a bad experience with my first girlfriend 30 years ago, would you like to rehash it?

Leaders lead, MW wasn't a leader, nor did he have anyone that was around when we won in 2003 to show him or other teammates what a leader looked like.

As Gesser and Newman said...buy in or leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Can't resist.

Technically, we never had a lead in 2009. The only time we were ahead was against SMU in overtime. And, the game-winning FG was the last play of the game. Since overtime is untimed, and it was the last play, we did not have a lead for a single second all season.

That was not really where my beef was. I pretty much lost faith in the Wulff staff on October 18, 2008. The USC game, his 8th on the WSU sideline. Not only did we not even attempt to compete (made worse by his pre-game quotes about 'just trying to get the game over without anyone getting hurt'), but we didn't even really attempt to score. We'd gone 24 years - 280 games - without being shut out, and we didn't even attempt to get in position for a lousy FG. 3 WSU coaches had gone through their entire tenure without being shut out...and that team managed to do it 3 times in 4 games (following up USC with goose eggs at Stanford and Arizona State). Then, just for fun, they got another one in the 2009 Apple Cup, and another at ASU in 2010. 280 games without a shutout, but 5 shutouts in 49 games under PW.

Reactions: FnuLnu and HCoug
Technically, we never had a lead in 2009. The only time we were ahead was against SMU in overtime. And, the game-winning FG was the last play of the game. Since overtime is untimed, and it was the last play, we did not have a lead for a single second all season.

That was not really where my beef was. I pretty much lost faith in the Wulff staff on October 18, 2008. The USC game, his 8th on the WSU sideline. Not only did we not even attempt to compete (made worse by his pre-game quotes about 'just trying to get the game over without anyone getting hurt'), but we didn't even really attempt to score. We'd gone 24 years - 280 games - without being shut out, and we didn't even attempt to get in position for a lousy FG. 3 WSU coaches had gone through their entire tenure without being shut out...and that team managed to do it 3 times in 4 games (following up USC with goose eggs at Stanford and Arizona State). Then, just for fun, they got another one in the 2009 Apple Cup, and another at ASU in 2010. 280 games without a shutout, but 5 shutouts in 49 games under PW.

I’m glad people can see things now and the truth. It’s just sad that we had to go through all that.

Yes I know Doba made us take a step back, but the Wulff/Walden years of 2008-2011 did tremendous damage to WSU and basically took the program from a step back to throwing it off a cliff.

And yes still we have dumb fans that still believe their lies and “doing it the right way” horsesh*t. A small obnoxious minority now with all the truth in their faces that should be embarrassed for being so naive...

We have a healthy program now with hard working kids that are competitive in everything they do.

Reactions: acgcoug

This is a series of serious questions. At what point do you let it go, I mean the scarring from the Wulff years? One would think 10 years and five bowl appearances would help make that bad date disappear.

Also, you don't like hyperbole? saying the 2010 was maybe the best class in the last 25 years? That really is worth criticism? Did you go to the Doba recruiting dinners in 03-06? If you listened to them the train was going to continue but the film didn't lie.

What is your measurement of a class? How would you rate the 2010 class? How do you think that class ranks against the 2014 class? 15? 16? 04? 05?06?

This is a series of serious questions. At what point do you let it go, I mean the scarring from the Wulff years? One would think 10 years and five bowl appearances would help make that bad date disappear.

Also, you don't like hyperbole? saying the 2010 was maybe the best class in the last 25 years? That really is worth criticism? Did you go to the Doba recruiting dinners in 03-06? If you listened to them the train was going to continue but the film didn't lie.

What is your measurement of a class? How would you rate the 2010 class? How do you think that class ranks against the 2014 class? 15? 16? 04? 05?06?

As the self-appointed historian of this board, I thought you would always want to remember.

If nothing else it was a fascinating period. Denial, propaganda, incompetence, lack of accountability, outright lies, poor performance, and ultimately loss of innocence.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
As the self-appointed historian of this board, I thought you would always want to remember.

If nothing else it was a fascinating period. Denial, propaganda, incompetence, lack of accountability, outright lies, poor performance, and ultimately loss of innocence.
AND....recruiting too many linemen?

This is a series of serious questions. At what point do you let it go

You tell us. You were one of the idiots defending Wulff and Walden and belittling Leach that we had to put up with during and after the transition.

When are you going to face the reality that you were wrong and you had zero idea on how to act and how to help the program, and that your attitude of making excuses for poor performance and incompetence was more of a hindrance than help to people wanting to see WSU be a success.

You still haven’t apologized to everybody for being a Waldenite Wulff lover instead of a Coug.

You tell us. You were one of the idiots defending Wulff and Walden and belittling Leach that we had to put up with during and after the transition.

When are you going to face the reality that you were wrong and you had zero idea on how to act and how to help the program, and that your attitude of making excuses for poor performance and incompetence was more of a hindrance than help to people wanting to see WSU be a success.

You still haven’t apologized to everybody for being a Waldenite Wulff lover instead of a Coug.

I let it go the day Leach was hired. Am I rehashing crap that went on 10 years ago? The firing of Wulff was 7 seasons ago.

Tron not once did I ever "belittle" Leach. NEVER. Ask Moos what fan he would rather have, the one who pours in money when times are tough or the one who withholds money. I supported Wulff cause I knew it was a five year project, and I supported Leach in the same manner.

I wasn't the one who questioned Leach after his loss to PSU...YOU were. Never once doubted Leach. Like Wulff before him I was going to give him 5 years to get it done.

I will always support Walden and his passion, even if you feel it is misguided.

Excuses? How about reasons. Same reasons to some extent Price had in 1998 and 1999, and 2000.

I will never apologize for my support of a coach through a massive rebuild job. Nor will I be the one who shorts him time or money.

And I will always hold the people who hired Wulff responsible and hold them responsible for not reaching out to Leach after 2010. Walden didn't hire a D2 coach with no D1 experience. Floyd, Sterk, and Moos did. It wasn't Walden who didn't hire Leach and fire Wulff after 2010 (which btw I would have been on board with) it was Floyd and Moos.

I will never apologize for being a Coug. EVER. Walden, Leach, Sampson, Wulff don't make up what it is to be a Coug. Nor do you. Football and sports is an extension of my experience at WSU, it doesn't define it.

Even when you are withholding money, not buying season tickets and complaining about the program I never once questioned whether or not you are a Coug. Ever.

Last edited:
I let it go the day Leach was hired. Am I rehashing crap that went on 10 years ago? The firing of Wulff was 7 seasons ago.

Tron not once did I ever "belittle" Leach. NEVER. Ask Moos what fan he would rather have, the one who pours in money when times are tough or the one who withholds money. I supported Wulff cause I knew it was a five year project, and I supported Leach in the same manner.

I wasn't the one who questioned Leach after his loss to PSU...YOU were. Never once doubted Leach. Like Wulff before him I was going to give him 5 years to get it done.

Excuses? How about reasons. Same reasons to some extent Price had in 1998 and 1999, and 2000.

I will never apologize for my support of a coach through a massive rebuild job. Nor will I be the one who shorts him time or money.

And I will always hold the people who hired Wulff responsible and hold them responsible for not reaching out to Leach after 2010. Walden didn't hire a D2 coach with no D1 experience. Floyd, Sterk, and Moos did. It wasn't Walden who didn't hire Leach and fire Wulff after 2010 (which btw I would have been on board with) it was Floyd and Moos.

I will never apologize for being a Coug. EVER. Walden, Leach, Sampson, Wulff don't make up what it is to be a Coug. Nor do you. Football and sports is an extension of my experience at WSU, it doesn't define it.

Even when you are withholding money, not buying season tickets and complaining about the program I never once questioned whether or not you are a Coug. Ever.

You are part of the problem yet you refuse to admit it.

You are part of the problem yet you refuse to admit it.
Sure...Please post the part of the problem where I supported Leach after the PSU game and you wanted to explore who the next coach was going to be.

If donating more money in 2008-12 when the program needed it most is part of the problem you are correct. See, if you and others didn't withhold funds, bought seasons maybe Moos has enough money to hire Leach.

Where you seem to get lost is I give to the school and support the program because I am a Coug. I know "management" will eventually make the right call, and when they do my funds are right there.

Like I said if Moos hired Leach in 2010 I would have said thanks Wullf for all your efforts but we had to hire a top 10 coach.

And BTW Tron, you have a way better chance of winning the Powerball-twice- than me apologizing for supporting the program.

Last edited:
I supported Wulff cause I knew it was a five year project, and I supported Leach in the same manner.
Problem is that after 4 years of Wulff, it was still a five-year project. One that Leach had underway in two, and completed in four, on the way to the most successful 4-year stretch in WSU history.

Misguided? How does a guy with one career bowl appearance, only 4 career winning seasons (out of 17), and a winning percentage barely above 40% figure he's qualified to comment or judge on coaching quality? A guy who went 10-32-2 in his last four seasons (best season with 4 wins), publicly demeans his school while still employed, and then resigns mid-season? Walden is the king of sour grapes.

Problem is that after 4 years of Wulff, it was still a five-year project. One that Leach had underway in two, and completed in four, on the way to the most successful 4-year stretch in WSU history.

Misguided? How does a guy with one career bowl appearance, only 4 career winning seasons (out of 17), and a winning percentage barely above 40% figure he's qualified to comment or judge on coaching quality? A guy who went 10-32-2 in his last four seasons (best season with 4 wins), publicly demeans his school while still employed, and then resigns mid-season? Walden is the king of sour grapes.

Hmmm....Troy Aikman never coached a game, is he qualified to comment? Dick Vitale ?

Do you really believe if you sat down and talked to Mike Leach about Hal Mumme he would say- "Hal really sucked after I left"? Or Hal doesn't deserve a great gig?

Hal could be 9-40 and Leach would vouch for him. Wulff was Walden's player, and what you may not get is why Walden was so adamant for time, continuity and stability.

I think a guy who played for the first Rose Bowl in 50 years, had 3-4 winning seasons, went to one bowl game, and in 83 it was said by seasons end he had the best team in the conference at least knows the terrain and is as educated about the subject as anyone.

Last edited:
How many bowls did WSU go to in the prior 50 years before Walden was

Hmmm....Troy Aikman never coached a game, is he qualified to comment? Dick Vitale ?

Do you really believe if you sat down and talked to Mike Leach about Hal Mumme he would say- "Hal really sucked after I left"? Or Hal doesn't deserve a great gig?

Hal could be 9-40 and Leach would vouch for him. Wulff was Walden's player, and what you may not get is why Walden was so adamant for time, continuity and stability.

I think a guy who played for the first Rose Bowl in 50 years, had 3-4 winning seasons, went to one bowl game, and in 83 it was said by seasons end he had the best team in the conference at least knows the terrain and is as educated about the subject as anyone.
So in other words.....
Jim Walden was the De Facto Football AD during the Wulff era.

Shouldn't Chun have let Walden pick the new basketball coach?

So in other words.....
Jim Walden was the De Facto Football AD during the Wulff era.

Shouldn't Chun have let Walden pick the new basketball coach?

Yeah I guess . If having an opinion makes someone the De Fecto AD I guess he should make all the horses.

Just like when ESPN’s Mel Kiper. jr speaks really he should be picking the players for all 31 teams .

Let me know when the commentator/booster/ former coach becomes an AD. If Walden had real power he would have done what Phil Fulmer did after Leach was rumored to have been offered the job in what wasn’t an interview but a meeting discussing employment and ushered a hostile takeover, can the AD and scrub the negotiations . That is when the commentator becomes the DeFacto AD

Was that when Walden was the AD?

Why was Walden acting like an AD lobbying for coaches and defending coaches publicly in the media.

Is it normal for a color commentator that is an employee of a University to publicly tell people who to hire and defend their poor performance and then call anyone who disagrees stupid?

Yeah I guess . If having an opinion makes someone the De Fecto AD I guess he should make all the horses.

Just like when ESPN’s Mel Kiper. jr speaks really he should be picking the players for all 31 teams .

Let me know when the commentator/booster/ former coach becomes an AD. If Walden had real power he would have done what Phil Fulmer did after Leach was rumored to have been offered the job in what wasn’t an interview but a meeting discussing employment and ushered a hostile takeover, can the AD and scrub the negotiations . That is when the commentator becomes the DeFacto AD

I had opinions too. But, I didn't run to every radio station in Washington to air them.

I'm sure it was a sobering moment for him when Walden realized he didn't have the influence he thought he did.

How many bowls did WSU go to in the prior 50 years before Walden was

No, I wouldn't put much stock in Troy Aikman's opinion about coaches. And I'd really rather that Dick Vitale didn't speak.

I don't think Leach would vouch for anyone who was 9-40. I'm pretty sure he'd say something vague and dodgy like 'he's had a rough time, and things obviously aren't going well'

I think Walden talked about time, continuity, and stability because he couldn't point to any sort of success, and apparently didn't believe in accountability. This is the guy who said 'If you coach at Iowa State, you're going to lose and you're going to get fired'...while claiming that he was as good a coach as Dennis Erickson and Johnny Majors. The only reason he didn't win as much is because they went to bigger/better schools. The guy who believed that going 0-10-1 shouldn't get you fired.

If a coach goes through 4 seasons and in their best year has 4 wins, in most cases that coach isn't going to see season 5. That's reality. Walden has had trouble accepting that. We all know that 4 wins was the high water mark for Wulff. But, it was also the best Walden did in his last 4 at Iowa State, but he didn't think that was so bad. He argued that historically ISU only won about 40% of its games, so that should be good enough. Nobody should expect more.

If someone can't look past their (obvious) personal biases and look at performance and results (and I mean his and Wulff's), then their opinion should carry no weight.

There is precedent for Leach talking about past players coaching. When Clay Maguire left for Texas Tech, Leach said Maguire would be looking for work again if they didn't have a winning season next year. He didn't defend Kingsbury.

Nor has he lobbied for Mumme to get jobs around the country.

Reactions: mikalalas
And BTW Tron, you have a way better chance of winning the Powerball-twice- than me apologizing for supporting t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶ Walden and Wulff

See with just a simple tweak I can illustrate what the real problem is.

You THINK you were supporting the program. When you were not. You were supporting individuals who were hurting the program. You made excuses for those individuals.

The program was perceived as one of the worst in all of FBS and definitely the worst in power 5.
The program was burnt to the ground suffering only 9 wins over 4 years.
The program was considered a joke in conference play winning just 4 conference games over a 9 year stretch.
The program was having articles written about it calling the WORST in the bcs era.

That was the actual program. That's where it was at. Jim Walden and Paul Wulff are NOT the program. They are coaches. WSU was playing football before they were born, and WSU will be playing football long after they are dead.

The problem is you can't in your small brain separate these people from the program. You equivocate to supporting them as supporting the program. They are NOT the program. Wulff was hired to IMPROVE the program. He failed. He was drowning and over his head day 1 and should have been yanked out.

Jim Walden knows nothing about building a program for long term success. He never did it anywhere he coached. Even at WSU.

WSU as a program is an institution. It's not beholden to 1 person past or present.or future.

Anyone that is paid to coach or work for WSU has 1 job. And that job is making the football program BETTER. Not worse. BETTER than it currently is.

Mike Leach made the program better
Bill Moos made the program better
Mike Price made the program better
Dennis Erickson made the program better.

Jim Walden and Paul Wulff made it WORSE. WORSE. And the second they did that they should have been shown the door. Bye. Because NOBODY ... NOBODY supersedes the program. Not Leach, Not Price, Not Moos. NOBODY.

People will be remembered for what they did to make the program better. That will be their legacy. So if they want the helm... then they had better understand what the expectation is. If they just want to hang out in Pullman and be around the fans then they can coach intramural flag football.

Reactions: mikalalas
Why was Walden acting like an AD lobbying for coaches and defending coaches publicly in the media.

Is it normal for a color commentator that is an employee of a University to publicly tell people who to hire and defend their poor performance and then call anyone who disagrees stupid?

You THINK you were supporting the program. When you were not. You were supporting individuals who were hurting the program. You made excuses for those individuals.

The program was perceived as one of the worst in all of FBS and definitely the worst in power 5.
The program was considered a joke in conference play winning just 4 conference games over a 9 year stretch.
The program was having articles written about it calling the WORST in the bcs era.

That was the actual program. That's where it was at. Jim Walden and Paul Wulff are NOT the program. They are coaches. WSU was playing football before they were born, and WSU will be playing football long after they are dead.

The problem is you can't in your small brain separate these people from the program. You equivocate to supporting them as supporting the program. They are NOT the program. Wulff was hired to IMPROVE the program. He failed. He was drowning and over his head day 1 and should have been yanked out.

Jim Walden knows nothing about building a program for long term success. He never did it anywhere he coached. Even at WSU.

WSU as a program is an institution. It's not beholden to 1 person past or present.or future.

Anyone that is paid to coach or work for WSU has 1 job. And that job is making the football program BETTER. Not worse. BETTER than it currently is.

Jim Walden and Paul Wulff made it WORSE. WORSE. And the second they did that they should have been shown the door. Bye. Because NOBODY ... NOBODY supersedes the program. Not Leach, Not Price, Not Moos. NOBODY.

People will be remembered for what they did to make the program better. That will be their legacy. So if they want the helm... then they had better understand what the expectation is. If they just want to hang out in Pullman and be around the fans then they can coach intramural flag football.

Your first error is AD’s don’t lobby for a job, they hire people . Walden was acting as a commentator and someone who held the position through its toughest period.

Second Walden if I am not mistaken wasn’t an employee of WSU, he was an employee of ImG. But even if he was he has a voice just like jack Thompson does. Should people tell jack to shut up when he is telling everyone be patient after we get hammered in the 2000 apple cup winning like five conference games in 3 years ?

Or when price struggled in 1990 and 1991 and were horrible he told anyone that would listen mike price would get it turned around .

Walden has a voice and that was it and he had a forum . No hiring decisions were made , no one followed him because he said hire or keep Wulff .

Last edited:
I had opinions too. But, I didn't run to every radio station in Washington to air them.

I'm sure it was a sobering moment for him when Walden realized he didn't have the influence he thought he did.

Well that is because you weren’t in the radio biz. And I am not sure he ran to any, I am pretty sure the stations in Seattle for example called him and asked him for his opinion. Walden was never one shy to give an opinion .

I’m glad people can see things now and the truth. It’s just sad that we had to go through all that.

Had to go through all that? No, we are still going through all that, with this hijacked thread as just another example. You guys slay me.

We’re in the midst of the best era in WSU football history, and you guys are still talking about Walden and Wulff.
This website needs some new contributors.

No shit. And I got recent posts deleted because I dared to utter "almost Couged it".

People will be remembered for what they did to make the program better. That will be their legacy. So if they want the helm... then they had better understand what the expectation is. If they just want to hang out in Pullman and be around the fans then they can coach intramural flag football.[/QUOTE

TE]

Last edited:

You simply don’t get it. I didn’t want Wulff to be hired I wanted Price. I wanted Price because I knew the rebuild was similar to the one he embarked on in 1998.

Delete Wulffs name. Put in the name of Hal Mumme . I would have supported mumme and the PROCESS in the same manner.

The roster in 2008 was not all that different than the one in 1998. It took Price four years to get back to a bowl game . Why would I expect a guy who didn’t have a long term answer at qb (gesser was in campus in 1998) to get WSU to a winning season sooner than it took a rose bowl coach to rebuild the program ?

And if Moos was smart he would have hired leach in 2011. He didn’t. And if you have a rebuild and you have a great finish carpenter you hire him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT