ADVERTISEMENT

vs ASU

Never good to lose, but winning on the road is tough, they looked a little out of rhythm all game. The AZ game appeared to take a lot out of them, seemed a step slow, and passing was not crisp. Last 5 road games, UW, OSU, UO, AZ, ASU, record 4-1, I’ll take it, was hoping for 3-2 if we were lucky, so they exceeded most expectations. Just need to win the last 3 and, don’t let this loss beat you twice. Still have a shot at the 1 or 2 seed in the pac 12 tournament, don’t let that slip away.

WSU needs to win 2 out of last 3, or 1 out of last 3 + 1 or 2 PAC 12 tourny wins to make NCAA tourny, not all 3 remaining games.

WSU needs to win all 3 of their remaining games FOR HIGHER SEEDING IN NCAA TOURNAMENT.

A team either wins or looses on their own, leave the excuses for the playground where they belong!

I was worried about this game starting at the final buzzer of the UA game. If we had to lose one this would be my pick. Brings the team back to normal, hopefully. I think UCLA presents the biggest remaining challenge. USC beating them tonight is helpful regarding pac-12 tournament seeding.

I didn't like the USC win vs UCLA. They were, are ABOUT, AROUND 10-16, 10-17, 11-16, 11-17.

I wanted them TOTALLY DEMORALIZED by UCLA, so that hopefully they would be a easier game for WSU, as WSU plays them next in Pullman.

But now that USC has beat UCLA, USC is probably going to be AMPED UP, AND PLAYING WELL against WSU, which would seem to lower WSU's chance to win vs USC.

If WSU loses vs USC, then WSU would HAVE TO MUST WIN their last 1,2 games, out of their last 2 games.

And 1 of those then would be must win games, would be against UCLA, that WSU could then lose to, and then end up in a 1 game, last game of season where if they win, they goto NCAA, and if they lose it, they goto NIT.

So because of this, USC IS A MUST WIN, and I didn't want a AMPED UP USC, by having USC beat UCLA.

So no, USC beating UCLA might not be good for WSU.

It would have been better for WSU, if USC got beat, DEMORALIZED by UCLA, and then lose to WSU, and then if WSU loses to UCLA then no big deal, and no win vs UW, etc, or goto NIT.

But now USC is AMPED UP, because they beat UCLA, and will probably play well, and now there is a semi ok chance that WSU would get beat by USC, and end up in a very precarious position.

But it is what it is, and WSU still must beat USC.

But that USC win vs UCLA is probably not going to be good for WSU.

Why didn't anyone see this coming, and call it a Trap Game?
Well, I didn't call it a "Trap Game", (although email buddy did) but I did say it was going to be tough to avoid a letdown after the big emotional win over AZ. That was such a huge deal it was going to be nearly impossible to avoid at least a bit of a letdown, but they just couldn't get on a roll, get over the hump. I think there was an 18-2 run and an 11-2 run by ASU. WSU clanked too many shots, got outshot by ~10 % points.

To me, it just looked like it was a mental fog at times. Jones didn't screen out a guy that got an OR/dunk. so often the ball was batted around and ASU came up with it. Just enough out of synch to lose the game. Most game stats were pretty darn equal, with the exception of shooting % (39.3/49.2) and 3 point shooting (3-18/16.7%, 6-14/42.3%). That was the big advantage ASU had.

With the way the game was shaping up, Jones needed a lot more touches in the second half.

Reactions: mikalalas
Well, I didn't call it a "Trap Game", (although email buddy did) but I did say it was going to be tough to avoid a letdown after the big emotional win over AZ. That was such a huge deal it was going to be nearly impossible to avoid at least a bit of a letdown, but they just couldn't get on a roll, get over the hump. I think there was an 18-2 run and an 11-2 run by ASU. WSU clanked too many shots, got outshot by ~10 % points.

To me, it just looked like it was a mental fog at times. Jones didn't screen out a guy that got an OR/dunk. so often the ball was batted around and ASU came up with it. Just enough out of synch to lose the game. Most game stats were pretty darn equal, with the exception of shooting % (39.3/49.2) and 3 point shooting (3-18/16.7%, 6-14/42.3%). That was the big advantage ASU had.

With the way the game was shaping up, Jones needed a lot more touches in the second half.
They couldn’t shoot. ASU couldn’t miss. Some sloppy rebounding/not boxing out and sloppy ball handling and you have the recipe for an upset.

Only thing you can do with a turd is flush it.

Reactions: UberCougars
I didn't like the USC win vs UCLA. They were, are ABOUT, AROUND 10-16, 10-17, 11-16, 11-17.

I wanted them TOTALLY DEMORALIZED by UCLA, so that hopefully they would be a easier game for WSU, as WSU plays them next in Pullman.

But now that USC has beat UCLA, USC is probably going to be AMPED UP, AND PLAYING WELL against WSU, which would seem to lower WSU's chance to win vs USC.

If WSU loses vs USC, then WSU would HAVE TO MUST WIN their last 1,2 games, out of their last 2 games.

And 1 of those then would be must win games, would be against UCLA, that WSU could then lose to, and then end up in a 1 game, last game of season where if they win, they goto NCAA, and if they lose it, they goto NIT.

So because of this, USC IS A MUST WIN, and I didn't want a AMPED UP USC, by having USC beat UCLA.

So no, USC beating UCLA might not be good for WSU.

It would have been better for WSU, if USC got beat, DEMORALIZED by UCLA, and then lose to WSU, and then if WSU loses to UCLA then no big deal, and no win vs UW, etc, or goto NIT.

But now USC is AMPED UP, because they beat UCLA, and will probably play well, and now there is a semi ok chance that WSU would get beat by USC, and end up in a very precarious position.

But it is what it is, and WSU still must beat USC.

But that USC win vs UCLA is probably not going to be good for WSU.
I'm not too worried about USC, they are in 11th place. UCLA and the mutts, more so. I see USC winning as a plus, creating more distance between us and UCLA.

A lot can happen the next two weeks. We are only 2 games up in the loss column to UCLA and now Colorado, both of whom we split with. I might try to do the mental gymnastics later, which are complicated. AZ still plays UCLA and Oregon. Colorado and Oregon play. UCLA plays us. I think I got all that right. So if we stumble (more), I think it is quite possible to fall into 3rd. Probably not 4th with all these games between contenders? On the bright side, AZ has two chances to stumble, so we still have a shot at 1st.

Not worried at all. Still in it a for Pac-12 title. AZ still has Oregon and UCLA. Both are trying to improve their resume for postseason. WSU gets UCLA at home prior to UCLA playing AZ. Trap game for them? WSU will still have a first round bye for the Pac-12 tournament. Not all perfect, but better than years past. Enjoying the ride

Not worried at all. Still in it a for Pac-12 title. AZ still has Oregon and UCLA. Both are trying to improve their resume for postseason. WSU gets UCLA at home prior to UCLA playing AZ. Trap game for them? WSU will still have a first round bye for the Pac-12 tournament. Not all perfect, but better than years past. Enjoying the ride
Yeah I guess the top 4 do get byes don't they? Which means, at the very worst, a 5 seed in our first game. Yeah that works.

Wake up call like cal. Time to go win 8 more in a row.

Reactions: mikalalas
Lunardi still has us as a 5 seed. The sky isn’t falling and we can still maintain, climb the seeding with a strong finish. Despite the blip yesterday nothing I’ve seen has me concerned that there’s going to be a meltdown. When your three best shooters can’t buy a bucket and you’re a little sloppy on top of it you can lose to any team in this league especially on the road. I’d expect a big bounce back in front of the best crowd of the year Thursday.

Okay, throw me under the bus, and tell me I'm crazy.
First things first. Yes, we've moved on, flush and get ready for USC.

But...I need to see what your thoughts are....

What if.....

What if Thursday night a lot of guys on the team partied hardy, whether it be in a couple of hotel rooms, or in some lounge or bar. What if they hard liquored up? Not just a few beers, but way too many.

Celebration, right? Arizona for the 3rd time...at McKale...and First Place. Party hardy. Great time. But...

the parties over...and it takes a day or so for alcohol to leave your system and body, right?

Thus the reason for the "off night" no show on performance Saturday night?

Am I crazy, or could this be possible?

And if it is possible, where do you draw the line with a head coach? Does Kyle Smith now have to be a high school principle monitoring, where his players are after hours? If so, could this be on Smith for not micro-managing his fully grown adult athletes, that can make their own decisions, or would it be a team violation?

Last edited:

What if.....

What if Thursday night a lot of guys on the team partied hardy, whether it be in a couple of hotel rooms, or in some lounge or bar. What if they hard liquored up? Not just a few beers, but way too many.

Celebration, right? Arizona for the 3rd time...at McKale...and First Place. Party hardy. Great time. But...

the parties over...and it takes a day or so for alcohol to leave your system and body, right?

And if it is possible, where do you draw the line with a head coach? Does Kyle Smith now have to be a high school principle monitoring, where his players are after hours? If so, could this be on Smith for not micro-managing his fully grown adult athletes, that can make their own decisions, or would it be a team violation?
You have too much time on your hands.

Thursday night game, travel, walk through and an early game on Saturday. Time does not fit into that equation at all.

What if.....

Anything’s possible but it doesn’t take a party for a BBALL team to go cold for a night. Jaki doesn’t strike me as the kind of dude that goes beer bonging after a game and he couldn’t hit shit.

Anything’s possible but it doesn’t take a party for a BBALL team to go cold for a night. Jaki doesn’t strike me as the kind of dude that goes beer bonging after a game and he couldn’t hit shit.

I'm not sure it's even possible.

Chaz the radio announcer and Smith in a past radio interview talked about HOW VERY RELIGOUS about 4,5,6 of the MAIN players ARE.

They talked about how those players are almost always have scripture study sessions, groups, prayer sessions, groups, together, having a pastor, preacher meeting with the regularly, going to church together a lot.

Chaz says that when he has been in the locker rooms, that he has seen that a lot, and Smith also confirmed that.

People that are that devout, RELIGOUS, USUALLY don't go out BOOZIN after a Arizona win. They might have a drink, but they usually are in control, in moderation, etc.

Wells, Jones, Rice are 3 of the 4,5,6 that are in that group, are RELIGOUS, etc.

Also because of Rice's very devout religiousness, and with his mother living in Pullman, and how WSU stuck by him, didn't kick him to curb, like other programs would have, and with how much Rice loves WSU, his fellow players, his coach, etc, that he either might semi probably stay, or at least try to stay.

Wells is in the same camp. Wells, Rice, might probably stay IF Smith stays at WSU, IF the other player(Rice or Wells), stays at WSU, and IF WSU gives them even the TINIEST of NIL. Even if WSU can't give Big time NIL like Other colleges, even if WSU only gives a crumbs, TINY NIL, at least Wells, Rice would know WSU cares, is trying, and that combined with the other stuff might be enough to cause Rice, Wells to stay.

That said, it's just not bloody damn likely, even possible, etc, that the team went BOOZIN.

1 player could maybe do that, but not either the whole team, or even most of the team.

Also while Smith doesn't micromanage, it's probably a team rule that no BOOZIN, PARTYING, ETC, allowed after a game, etc.

If a player, or team were to go BOOZIN Hardcore, Smith would probably hear, find out about it, and would probably dish out penalties accordingly.

So because of that it's not likely and probably not possible that the team, main players, etc, went BOOZIN, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT