ADVERTISEMENT

Washington State is being its 'BEST' under coach Jake Dickert

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
Washington State football has been on the rise since Jake Dickert took over head coaching duties during the 2021 season. In a sitdown with Pac-12 Networks' Jordan Robinson, Dickert explains how the Cougars are striving to be their BEST every day.

Not to pick on our favorite has-been....but I wonder if he still thinks that Dickert is a worthless piece of trash that isn't worthy of the job.
Who you speaking of? Biggs?

Biggs is quiet when we are doing good. He's hiding. Nothing to criticize and complain about.
Biggs doesn't like the raw raw boy of Dickert. Where is Biggs now?
Is there any joy, appreciation and respect? Glass half empty?

Bottom line. You can't change people. Anytime someone is doing something great, there will always be the naysayers out there. And guess what? Not one person can't change a person's heart.

Biggs is quiet when we are doing good. He's hiding. Nothing to criticize and complain about.
Is there any joy? Glass half empty?

Working. You fcking dipshit.

Ward was almost there… and Im thinking maybe he finally has turned the corner after his 200th start…. fumble. Is next week the week the light goes on and stupid mistakes stop???

The defensive scheme is still bad. He needs bigger bodies. Oregon State was always gonna pound and pound and wear them down. It damn near worked. Add a tight end and kids disappear from the game. Read Ron Stone’s stats for the game. Too easy to take out your best pass rusher by formation alone.

After completely blowing his coordinator hires last year he may have found a good OC. Eric Morris is trash. I was right. The back end of the defense was a total disaster last year. The new DC has coached them up. They still have some games they need to be very well coached for coming up.

If you think holding on to a win after blowing a big lead is awesome, keep cheering.

Dickert is still learning on the job. He has a ton of teams on the schedule that were awful last year and arent much better this year. All he has to do is be competent.

Raise your standards MI.

Ward was almost there… and Im thinking maybe he finally has turned the corner after his 200th start…. fumble. Is next week the week the light goes on and stupid mistakes stop???

The defensive scheme is still bad. He needs bigger bodies. Oregon State was always gonna pound and pound and wear them down. It damn near worked. Add a tight end and kids disappear from the game. Read Ron Stone’s stats for the game. Too easy to take out your best pass rusher by formation alone.

After completely blowing his coordinator hires last year he may have found a good OC. Eric Morris is trash. I was right. The back end of the defense was a total disaster last year. The new DC has coached them up. They still have some games they need to be very well coached for coming up.

If you think holding on to a win after blowing a big lead is awesome, keep cheering.

Dickert is still learning on the job. He has a ton of teams on the schedule that were awful last year and arent much better this year. All he has to do is be competent.

Raise your standards MI.

LOL.....never change.

Reactions: mikalalas
Watch how fast this thread fills up with ignored comments lol

If I don't respond to you it’s because you’re on ignore. You are a loser and not worth my time. I genuinely think you aren’t worth chatting with because you aren’t smart. At all. Or you’re just a scumbag. Or you make everything political.

Bottom line. You can't change people. Anytime someone is doing something great, there will always be the naysayers out there. And guess what? Not one person can't change a person's heart.
I think you should go back to screaming at people canceling their cable subscriptions instead.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I rise in defense of cable. Even if its survival is as much about internet access as it is about programming.

Streaming is the future. But fully paying for streaming is also the future. When we end up having to pay for what streaming is worth (and we will), cable won't look as bad. And when we end up actually paying for what streaming is worth, the entire "bundling" issue will go away as a lever to force payment.

Raise your standards MI.
The choice I don’t like on our defense is the platooning of the DL. We’ve been subbing Jackson, Stone, and our best 2 DL as a unit. When they’re in, we get pressure. Maybe not sacks, but enough pressure to make the QB move. When they’re subbed out, we get nothing.

I understand the general platoon concept, but when there’s such a steep drop from the 1s to the 2s, you need to find a different way. Especially late, with the game on the line and against a mediocre (at best) QB, you need to keep the pressure on and force them to shorten the field.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
The choice I don’t like on our defense is the platooning of the DL. We’ve been subbing Jackson, Stone, and our best 2 DL as a unit. When they’re in, we get pressure. Maybe not sacks, but enough pressure to make the QB move. When they’re subbed out, we get nothing.

I understand the general platoon concept, but when there’s such a steep drop from the 1s to the 2s, you need to find a different way. Especially late, with the game on the line and against a mediocre (at best) QB, you need to keep the pressure on and force them to shorten the field.

You mean putting your best players on the field? It is a concept lost on some coaches.

98 yard drive late to a team that doesn’t throw the ball should be concerning to any DC and HC that knows what they’re looking at. Just sayin’.

You mean putting your best players on the field? It is a concept lost on some coaches.

98 yard drive late to a team that doesn’t throw the ball should be concerning to any DC and HC that knows what they’re looking at. Just sayin’.
An even bigger concern should be 98 yards in only 3 minutes. Without timeouts. We didn’t even slow them down.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

If I don't respond to you it’s because you’re on ignore. You are a loser and not worth my time. I genuinely think you aren’t worth chatting with because you aren’t smart. At all. Or you’re just a scumbag. Or you make everything political.
You’re the guy that insists Cam Ward sucks, and Dickert sucks, and people should be getting greyhound tickets home.

Why are you worth our time?

An even bigger concern should be 98 yards in only 3 minutes. Without timeouts. We didn’t even slow them down.

While I would prefer that we didn't get "learning moments" last night, that is a game that we've seen many WSU coaches lose with bad coaching decisions. When Leach was coach, we had many games that we lost because he had no idea about clock management.

Giving up that drive sucked, but that's a drive we've seen given up hundreds of times over the years from both the Cougs and teams not named WSU. It's damned hard to stop a good team in the final few minutes of a ball game. As just one recent example, KSU is 3-1 because they couldn't stop Missouri from marching down the field to get a field goal last week.

My critique of Dickert in that situation was not kicking the field goal. Giving the Beavers the opportunity to even tie the game with a field goal was a bad choice. That doesn't mean that Dickert is the incompetent, bumbling fool that Biggs wishes that he was.

Learning moments my ass. Oregon State is a very strong team. Their offensive line looked bigger than Wisconsin’s, and they have two high level running backs. We were fortunate to beat them. Not lucky, but fortunate. OSUs QB is weak, but if they get the lead on you, they’ll run the ball down your throat. Apart from Oregon and UW, I don’t know who else beats OSU this season. SC maybe. Utah, not sure.

Raise your standards MI.
3 sacks yesterday, higher than any other game this year.

But yes, defense is lacking bodies and scheme.

CW - 28/34, 400 yds and 4 tds and a fumble. But yeah, lets concentrate on the fumble, not the fact that yesterday he looked as good as any AR qb we've had start for us.

I know you won't but it would be great to see you admit just once you were wrong about one single thing. But that's ok, it just confirms what we all know is that you're completely full of yourself. Which translates to you being full of shit.

Why don't you go ahead and lay out your metric(s) for what its going to take for this team, or any Cougar team, to pass muster for you? Be specific, not some mealy-mouthed bullshit generalities about size and effort.
Or better yet, why don't you get off your fat ass, set foot in Pullman for the first time (ever?) in 30 years, walk up to CJD office and tell him to his face what a POS he and his team are. Then head down to the locker room and do the same for the players, specifically the DL.

Reactions: mikalalas
I rise in defense of cable. Even if its survival is as much about internet access as it is about programming.

Streaming is the future. But fully paying for streaming is also the future. When we end up having to pay for what streaming is worth (and we will), cable won't look as bad. And when we end up actually paying for what streaming is worth, the entire "bundling" issue will go away as a lever to force payment.
We already pay for streaming through broadband service. There is a data cap and a charge for premium speeds and bandwidth. Companies that provide TV and internet, like comcast, are double dipping.

Reactions: froropmkr72
While I would prefer that we didn't get "learning moments" last night, that is a game that we've seen many WSU coaches lose with bad coaching decisions. When Leach was coach, we had many games that we lost because he had no idea about clock management.

Giving up that drive sucked, but that's a drive we've seen given up hundreds of times over the years from both the Cougs and teams not named WSU. It's damned hard to stop a good team in the final few minutes of a ball game. As just one recent example, KSU is 3-1 because they couldn't stop Missouri from marching down the field to get a field goal last week.

My critique of Dickert in that situation was not kicking the field goal. Giving the Beavers the opportunity to even tie the game with a field goal was a bad choice. That doesn't mean that Dickert is the incompetent, bumbling fool that Biggs wishes that he was.
I was going through past seasons yesterday and was reminded about CMP's history of losing every game in November. Ugh, to be 6-1 and finish the season 6-5 was a Mike Price special. Love the guy, but damn those were brutal.

I don’t think Biggs is wrong in his field analysis, but in this blip of time. Leach moving on, COVID, Rolo, realignment, I’ll debate anyone that WSU backed into maybe THE perfect coach for our program.

The players love him, he’s winning, and he’s a young, energetic, good looking face for our program. Dollar for dollar, WSU hit the jackpot with coach Dickert.

I dunno about defence of cable, but "streaming" is very quickly becoming cable in tech bro clothes

I was going through past seasons yesterday and was reminded about CMP's history of losing every game in November. Ugh, to be 6-1 and finish the season 6-5 was a Mike Price special. Love the guy, but damn those were brutal.
Yup, but a lot of that was due to zero depth in the program. By November when we started to get into the 2 and 3-deeps, they were basically bodies or not ready to play. Deeper programs made it tough to compete until a few years after the '98 Rose Bowl. It's what made '97 so amazing. There wasn't really a significant injury that kept someone out very long the entire season. Then Duane Stewart goes out in November and in come true frosh Lamont Thompson. That not only tells the story on depth. We NEEDED to go to a true freshman to fill for Stewart. However, he (Thompson) was of course amazing!

Didn't quite hold up through the Rose Bowl. Couldn't keep Michael Black (who probably played injured all year) on the field. DeJuan Gilmore was a solid backup, but not a guy to fill Black's shoes.

My fear with this team is depth. We are already starting to get into depth. Our frontline players can compete with anyone on the schedule. It's keeping them on the field.

I don’t think Biggs is wrong in his field analysis, but in this blip of time. Leach moving on, COVID, Rolo, realignment, I’ll debate anyone that WSU backed into maybe THE perfect coach for our program.

The players love him, he’s winning, and he’s a young, energetic, good looking face for our program. Dollar for dollar, WSU hit the jackpot with coach Dickert.
His messaging is spot on. That's what I listen for...what and how does a coach communicate. It reveals a lot. Leaders speak like leaders. Fake leaders look for excuses and are not on point with their analysis. Dickert is as good as I have seen at Wazzu at his messaging and analysis. Tony Bennett is right up with him when he was at WSU. Both from Wisconsin. Interesting.

His messaging is spot on. That's what I listen for...what and how does a coach communicate. It reveals a lot. Leaders speak like leaders. Fake leaders look for excuses and are not on point with their analysis. Dickert is as good as I have seen at Wazzu at his messaging and analysis. Tony Bennett is right up with him when he was at WSU. Both from Wisconsin. Interesting.
Tony took over at the right time, but Dick Bennett (obviously another from Wisconsin) is my all time in this category from day 1. The only good thing to come out of Graham's final year were the Bennett's coming in.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

Just another reason this whole realignment BS has gotten me extra pissed off. For WSU to be successful long term in football we need to find our Bill Snyder, Frank Beamer, Kyle Wittingham type of coach. Dickert could very well be that guy but if our budget’s gutted it’s going to be next to impossible to hang on to him.

Usually it’s to bleed the clock when the offense subs.

Stone is not 100 percent. They need to manage his snaps.

2. Sucky pi pi calls helped. They were stopped on 4th down on 1.
I didn’t have a good view of one of them. I think it was the first was just bad play by Lampkin. He had position and just needed to put his hands up, but instead bear hugged the WR.

I didn’t have a good view of one of them. I think it was the first was just bad play by Lampkin. He had position and just needed to put his hands up, but instead bear hugged the WR.
I just watched the recorded game this afternoon. I think we had 3 PI calls against us late in the game, and only 1 of them was a decent call. Especially when you recall PI not called on Kelly's one handed TD, the 4th down incompletion, and the pass on our "free" play when OSU jumped offsides. That one was quite blatant. And while we can always say they could call holding on every play there was a blatant hold not called on the same play where our DB actually did commit the infraction, so the penalties should have cancelled out and had a replay of the down.

I agree. He may not be the perfect coach...but he is the perfect coach at the perfect time

Biggs is wrong and has been for two years. He makes up for it by being wrong about expanding the stadium though.

Lol. Translation. If you’re really good at pointing out how wrong I always am and making me look like a dipshit you are on ignore.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Tony took over at the right time, but Dick Bennett (obviously another from Wisconsin) is my all time in this category from day 1. The only good thing to come out of Graham's final year were the Bennett's coming in.
Agree. Dick Bennett is a legend.

When he flipped off the UW student section in their arena was the day he ensconced himself as WSU coaching legend. 😆 🤣 😂

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT