ADVERTISEMENT

When we start feeling sorry for ourselves

fingerdisco

Hall Of Fame
Apr 29, 2015
for having some turnover of our coaching staff, we can look at Alabama and feel a bit better. An excerpt from a yahoo article: “Well then. Are the ears of Mike Locksley (now head coach at Maryland), Josh Gattis (offensive coordinator at Michigan), Tosh Lupoi (defensive line coach for the Cleveland Browns), Dan Enos (offensive coordinator at Miami) and Brent Key (offensive line coach at Georgia Tech) burning? Those were the departures from the 2018 staff, part of the annual turnover that has become a hallmark of recent Alabama teams.”

Five coaches in one year...brutal. Yet Saban just keeps churning out wins.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/is-ala...d-standard-in-college-football-201642509.html

Bit of a difference. We get angry because other teams continue to target the people who are very good/our best recruiters and developers which are necessary for our success. Alabama can send out a letter and draw 5 star talent, and buy top tier coaching at any moment. Different levels.

Reactions: etowncoug
Bit of a difference. We get angry because other teams continue to target the people who are very good/our best recruiters and developers which are necessary for our success. Alabama can send out a letter and draw 5 star talent, and buy top tier coaching at any moment. Different levels.
Sure, but that’s still a pretty big obstacle for any program. And it goes to show how well Leach is at doing the same thing Saban does but with much less shiny stuff.

Saban needs to stop the inward and outward flow of his coordinators. Position coaches will come and go as opportunities arise. Your coordinators need to be there for a while. At least long enough to get a position coach up to speed to take over if an opportunity comes for the coordinator.

Saban doesn't have a Bill Doba on his staff. He doesn't have a guy that is a long timer.

If he wants to stop guys from leaving Alabama may need to pay them like they're head coaches while they're assistants. Don't ask a coach to work for $800,000 when there is $2,800,000 being offered. I know, that was hard to type lol. We should all be so lucky.

Or he needs to do a better job with his GA coaches. Coach them up as GA's, move them into position coaches, grow them into coordinators.

Or not be such a terrible boss.

Or any combination of thee above.

Saban needs to stop the inward and outward flow of his coordinators. Position coaches will come and go as opportunities arise. Your coordinators need to be there for a while. At least long enough to get a position coach up to speed to take over if an opportunity comes for the coordinator.

Saban doesn't have a Bill Doba on his staff. He doesn't have a guy that is a long timer.

If he wants to stop guys from leaving Alabama may need to pay them like they're head coaches while they're assistants. Don't ask a coach to work for $800,000 when there is $2,800,000 being offered. I know, that was hard to type lol. We should all be so lucky.

Or he needs to do a better job with his GA coaches. Coach them up as GA's, move them into position coaches, grow them into coordinators.

Or not be such a terrible boss.

Or any combination of thee above.
The thing Saban has going against him is that coaching for Bammy is almost a surefire opportunity to get a head gig elsewhere. I suppose that’s a good problem to have.

The thing Saban has going against him is that coaching for Bammy is almost a surefire opportunity to get a head gig elsewhere. I suppose that’s a good problem to have.

The school's are buying a franchise. They want a guy that's been involved in the "process" that Saban uses. The problem is that part of Saban is the branding of the university. Not every school is LSU or Alabama. Both of those universities have things going for them that other schools don't. Kirby Smart at UGA probably has the best shot at outdoing his former boss. Pruitt at UT I think is gonna struggle. It'll be interesting to see how the guy at Maryland does.

The school's are buying a franchise. They want a guy that's been involved in the "process" that Saban uses. The problem is that part of Saban is the branding of the university. Not every school is LSU or Alabama. Both of those universities have things going for them that other schools don't. Kirby Smart at UGA probably has the best shot at outdoing his former boss. Pruitt at UT I think is gonna struggle. It'll be interesting to see how the guy at Maryland does.
Kirby has outrecruited and out played Saban head-to-head with the exception of 90 seconds of something like 480 minutes of football over the last two years (can’t tecall where I read that). I think the tide (no pun intended) has shifted to Clemson and UGA.

Kirby has outrecruited and out played Saban head-to-head with the exception of 90 seconds of something like 480 minutes of football over the last two years (can’t tecall where I read that). I think the tide (no pun intended) has shifted to Clemson and UGA.

It could have. If Saban were smart he would hire coordinators that are lifers. Guys that will stick it out and be around. Give his staff some consistency. The constant turnover in coaching isn't helping. It's also putting his recruiting relationships back at square one every time those guys leave.

Also, how much coaching do you think Saban actually does any more? Has his head coaching job taken so much away from his defense that it isn't the unit it once was?

for having some turnover of our coaching staff, we can look at Alabama and feel a bit better. An excerpt from a yahoo article: “Well then. Are the ears of Mike Locksley (now head coach at Maryland), Josh Gattis (offensive coordinator at Michigan), Tosh Lupoi (defensive line coach for the Cleveland Browns), Dan Enos (offensive coordinator at Miami) and Brent Key (offensive line coach at Georgia Tech) burning? Those were the departures from the 2018 staff, part of the annual turnover that has become a hallmark of recent Alabama teams.”

Five coaches in one year...brutal. Yet Saban just keeps churning out wins.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/is-ala...d-standard-in-college-football-201642509.html
Interesting choice of words.

I never felt sorry for the team or played the "woe is us" card.

Its 100% true that we all pissed and moaned about how much losing all that staff sucked, but I think most of us were also in the "Leach has proven himself a good recruiter of talented coaches and we should be fine."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT