ADVERTISEMENT

WSU 4- Seattle U. 0

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Our Ladies' soccer team is off to a nice start. After dominating San Diego State, 5-0, in Cal they have followed with another impressive victory in Seattle against S.U. Cougs got two in the first 45 and another pair in the second half. They controlled the ball and play throughout the game. Although the four goals seems like a nice accomplishment, there were actually few decent attempts on goal. S.U. had three quality attempts that I can recall. All handled with little difficulty by Ella Dederick.

Seattle U. presented a respectable opponent for our girls. They have a history of good soccer teams, having made the NCAA postseason 4 of the last 6 years and are well coached. They are predicted to win the WAC according to the preseason WAC coach's poll. Yet the Cougs handled them well.

The crowd was standing room only and, if t-shirts are any indication, the crowd was predominantly Coug.

Elyse Bennett and Ella Dederick showed no signs of the injuries that cut last year's participation short.

The grad transfer from Stanford looked very good. Quite tall for a midfielder at 5'11" and surprisingly agile for someone that tall.

I was looking forward to seeing the new Freshman/freshwoman Mackenzie Frimpong-Ellertson who Shulenberger has been so high on and was not disappointed. While she did not stand out from the crowd as her teammates were all generally playing well, she did well as a true frosh. She was comfortable on the field despite her age and has a lot of upside.

I was mildly concerned by the graduation of Hancock and Haro leaving gaps in our defense but their replacements filled in nicely. They have yet to be seriously tested as S.U. had trouble getting the ball into our end of the field due to our midfielders dominating the play in the middle. We'll see how they do with conference opponents but so-far-so-good.

These girls have a good shot at another NCAA postseason run barring unpredictable and unforeseen difficulties. In fact, I will be surprised if they do not do so. We and they are looking at another enjoyable season of women's soccer.

They are scheduled for games the Friday night before our football game with New Mexico State and another on Sunday at 1:00pm after NMS. For those of you who can arrive a bit early and/or leave a few hours late, I would suggest you check them out if so interested.

Last edited:
Our Ladies' soccer team is off to a nice start. After dominating San Diego State, 5-0, in Cal they have followed with another impressive victory in Seattle against S.U. Cougs got two in the first 45 and another pair in the second half. They controlled the ball and play throughout the game. Although the four goals seems like a nice accomplishment, there were actually few decent attempts on goal. S.U. had three quality attempts that I can recall. All handled with little difficulty by Ella Dederick.

Seattle U. presented a respectable opponent for our girls. They have a history of good soccer teams, having made the NCAA postseason 4 of the last 6 years and are well coached. They are predicted to win the WAC according to the preseason WAC coach's poll. Yet the Cougs handled them well.

The crowd was standing room only and, if t-shirts are any indication, the crowd was predominantly Coug.

Elyse Bennett and Ella Dederick showed no signs of the injuries that cut last year's participation short.

The grad transfer from Stanford looked very good. Quite tall for a midfielder at 5'11" and surprisingly agile for someone that tall.

I was looking forward to seeing the new Freshman/freshwoman Mackenzie Frimpong-Ellertson who Shulenberger has been so high on and was not disappointed. While she did not stand out from the crowd as her teammates were all generally playing well, she did well as a true frosh. She was comfortable on the field despite her age and has a lot of upside.

I was mildly concerned by the graduation of Hancock and Haro leaving gaps in our defense but their replacements filled in nicely. They have yet to be seriously tested as S.U. had trouble getting the ball into our end of the field due to our midfielders dominating the play in the middle. We'll see how they do with conference opponents but so-far-so-good.

These girls have a good shot at another NCAA postseason run barring unpredictable and unforeseen difficulties. In fact, I will be surprised if they do not do so. We and they are looking at another enjoyable season of women's soccer.

They are scheduled for games the Friday night before our football game with New Mexico State and another on Sunday at 1:00pm after NMS. For those of you who can arrive a bit early and/or leave a few hours late, I would suggest you check them out if so interested.

Thanks for the analysis, I’m in for both games vs. Montana and James Madison next week.
Go Cougs!!

Top to bottom the most talented team we've ever had. That combined with our very direct style, a rarity in this day and age, we'll be tough to beat. As they say, speed kills, and we are loaded in that department.

Reactions: taf88 and M-I-Coug

Nice summary. I was there, too. That was me in the crimson and gray...LOL.

Lots of great Coug fans there. Very nice evening for a game.

I thought the Cougs showed a tremendous amount of athleticism and ability.

My main concern was that the first three goals came on set pieces (two corners and a PK), rather from the run of play. Don’t get me wrong. Set piece goals count just as much and are a result of hard work and solid play.

But I would have liked to have seen the offense create more good shots on goal, especially in the first two thirds of the game, before it was a foregone conclusion.

OTOH, I looked up at the scoreboard late in the first half and they did list “shots on goal” as 12-2 in favor of the Cougs at that point. How many of those shots were actually dangerous chances? Not that many. Would be interested to see what the “xG” number was for the game?

Gotta give some credit to Seattle U, too. Their defense was extremely well organized and covered for each other very well. That probably had a lot to do with the “quality” of shots we were getting (or not getting) when the game was “in doubt”?

All in all - a quality, dominating effort by the Cougs.

This team, if it stays healthy and can develop chemistry in the offensive third, could be the best we have ever had at WSU.

Reactions: kayak15
Nice summary. I was there, too. That was me in the crimson and gray...LOL.

Lots of great Coug fans there. Very nice evening for a game.

I thought the Cougs showed a tremendous amount of athleticism and ability.

My main concern was that the first three goals came on set pieces (two corners and a PK), rather from the run of play. Don’t get me wrong. Set piece goals count just as much and are a result of hard work and solid play.

But I would have liked to have seen the offense create more good shots on goal, especially in the first two thirds of the game, before it was a foregone conclusion.

OTOH, I looked up at the scoreboard late in the first half and they did list “shots on goal” as 12-2 in favor of the Cougs at that point. How many of those shots were actually dangerous chances? Not that many. Would be interested to see what the “xG” number was for the game?

Gotta give some credit to Seattle U, too. Their defense was extremely well organized and covered for each other very well. That probably had a lot to do with the “quality” of shots we were getting (or not getting) when the game was “in doubt”?

All in all - a quality, dominating effort by the Cougs.

This team, if it stays healthy and can develop chemistry in the offensive third, could be the best we have ever had at WSU.

I agree with your assessment of S.U.'s defense. They did a very good job at giving us few openings for clean shots on goal. They were obviously aware of who Morgan Weaver was and gave her extra attention. Well done by them. Not sure of their offensive prowess but, considering their defense, I can see why they are rated the top of the WAC.

Regarding the set pieces, I can recall that during one of Shulenberger's earlier years that we lead the league in corners but with no-zero-nada goals resulting from them. That has been well improved. A couple of years ago- or was it last year?- their passing was disappointing. Hesitant and bouncy-bouncy. That was cleaned up as the season went on and is nice today. Accuracy could have been better but that happens with the best of them. Shulenberger and staff are steadily improving the play every year and that is nice to see.

Also agree with your last statement concerning finishing. Optimistic that the staff can improve that aspect of their game. Lots of offensive firepower on this team and the schedule is just starting. And, yes, this group has indeed the potential to be the best that we have ever had, if they are not there already.

p.s. Got a kick out of the S.U. announcer introducing Bennett as "Elsie" Bennett. Not sure if she liked being referred to as an elderly milk cow but I liked it.

Woman's soccer, and now volleyball, have been the best stories at WSU for the last several years. So much more difficult to climb to the elite level in those sports than football, given the strength of the PAC12 and probably triple the number of schools nationwide with teams. Funny how back in the day WSU was the king of "Spring Sports", and now we are the beast of the fall.

Reactions: KingTrump
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT