ADVERTISEMENT

Football Scoop...speculates Leach is in line for a huge

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
pay increase and that he could be the right guy for Tennessee. Whatever happens it will happen in the next two weeks.

Anything could happen. If he wants to move on, he will. If you were offered $5M/yr by another school wouldn't you strongly consider it? Leach makes ~$3M/yr now, I believe. WSU will never win a bidding war with other P5 schools. Most think if you win at WSU, you'll win anywhere. I don't think that's true.

Not sure the situation with his kids in terms of year in school. That could play a part.

Last edited:
If it was me i would leave for a 5-6 million guaranteed five year contract. But does Tennessee want a Mike Leach?

At this time there is absolutely no chatter about Tenn and Leach. Names like Gruden Miss St and Mike Norvlle and others listed as possibilities. WSU should give Leach a huge raise. If he left now,it would really hurt the program

All speculation. Last week wasn't it Ole MIss? The week before weren't people talking Nebraska because of Moos?

This is what happens when you have a good coach Ed. People actually want what we have. Other programs want to be competing for the conference championship 2 years in a row, and beating top 5 opponents in home, programs like Oregon 3 years in a row, and Stanford quality teams back to back.

I know this must be a new feeling for you to comprehend since your lover was highly sought after for Harbaugh's free time coffee warmer, but it's par the course for a coach and program that is a success.

That pile of shit article reads like a desperate attempt at content for Footballscoop. They admit they have no idea what's going on then go on to speculate about pretty much just successful coaches who would make a lateral or upward move in their mind.

Why would other coaches ask football scoop if Leach is considering and what level of coaches are they? High school coaches who are friends with the author? Pretty much every college coach would have a better read.

I've overlooked and avoided threads where you get into the same arguments with yaki about if you're a old Wulff guy blah blah blah. But I really believe now you are and you just come to stir shit up.

I wish WSU would up Leach to $3.5M/year. Still might not be enough to keep him, but it would be a good offer. $4M/year would be even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: earldacoug
We should be able to with all the money we save not having to pay an OC. Or TE’s and FB’s. For that matter.

Reactions: earldacoug
All speculation. Last week wasn't it Ole MIss? The week before weren't people talking Nebraska because of Moos?

This is what happens when you have a good coach Ed. People actually want what we have. Other programs want to be competing for the conference championship 2 years in a row, and beating top 5 opponents in home, programs like Oregon 3 years in a row, and Stanford quality teams back to back.

I know this must be a new feeling for you to comprehend since your lover was highly sought after for Harbaugh's free time coffee warmer, but it's par the course for a coach and program that is a success.
And people will talk until the hiring season is over. Why would it be a new feeling for me. Came to WSU Walden's second year,Sweeney was

Why would this be a new feeling for me? I started at WSU Walden's second year. That means I got there on the heels of a sub .500 coach quitting then immediately getting a gig at Fresno. Then a 3-8 coach after one year got a gig at a national power Pitt. The next guy after one season of 7-4 got a gig at Missouri. Minnesota then ISU came after Walden. George Raveling, Kelvin and Tony all were courted as was Mike Price, All left.

Even Len Stevens got another gig. The only ones who didnt was doba, the coffee boy and bone..

So we have an attractive girlfriend. And within two weeks we will know if she loves us as much as we hope and sticks around or is looking for another experience.

That pile of shit article reads like a desperate attempt at content for Footballscoop. They admit they have no idea what's going on then go on to speculate about pretty much just successful coaches who would make a lateral or upward move in their mind.

Why would other coaches ask football scoop if Leach is considering and what level of coaches are they? High school coaches who are friends with the author? Pretty much every college coach would have a better read.

I've overlooked and avoided threads where you get into the same arguments with yaki about if you're a old Wulff guy blah blah blah. But I really believe now you are and you just come to stir shit up.
Why does a fairly well read website that speculates Leach has a big raise coming (not sure if that is not completely accurate) that thinks the AD will look at Leach as a candidate is stirring the pot. Let me ask you from simply the AD's perspective....seeing what he did here wouldn't you hire him? Or at least make overtures and gauge his interest? Why does that you all worked up. Our coach is desired.

I work with a Nebraska alum and while he is intrigued by Leach, he knows from the Tech days and recent Leach interviews that the pirate is not a good overall fit for the Cornhuskers. Their fan base would turn on Leach eventually

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I work with a Nebraska alum and while he is intrigued by Leach, he knows from the Tech days and recent Leach interviews that the pirate is not a good overall fit for the Cornhuskers. Their fan base would turn on Leach eventually
Tennessee's would turn on him much faster.

Tennessee's would turn on him much faster.

The SEC turns on everybody eventually...except Saban, because he wins...all the time.

And people will talk until the hiring season is over. Why would it be a new feeling for me. Came to WSU Walden's second year,Sweeney was

Why would this be a new feeling for me? I started at WSU Walden's second year. That means I got there on the heels of a sub .500 coach quitting then immediately getting a gig at Fresno. Then a 3-8 coach after one year got a gig at a national power Pitt. The next guy after one season of 7-4 got a gig at Missouri. Minnesota then ISU came after Walden. George Raveling, Kelvin and Tony all were courted as was Mike Price, All left.

Even Len Stevens got another gig. The only ones who didnt was doba, the coffee boy and bone..

So we have an attractive girlfriend. And within two weeks we will know if she loves us as much as we hope and sticks around or is looking for another experience.

Nobody wanted them Ed.

We had 2 coaches that actually were sought after. Price (who went to Bama) and Ericson (who went to Miami) that's what actually sought after looks like.

WALDEN??!?! bahahaha nobody really wanted Walden. The guy who came after him posted a win total he had never seen in just 2 years. And then MIAMI hired him. A team that actually had won a National Title.

Iowa State with ole Walden got just 1 year with 6 wins out of 8.

His last year. 0-10-1 ... They couldn't beat .Rice..or Northern .Iowa...

He was trash Ed. Trash. An emotional blowhard.

Remember when he complained about Leach. Threw a temper tantrum.

To quote the old coot...

"He's embarrassing my profession. He's taking me somewhere I don't want to go."
– Jim Walden

Yeah.... some place Coach Waldy has never been...

3 bowl games in a row and 3 winning seasons in a row.

Honestly I feel bad for you Ed. It's clear Walden ruined your perception. He poisoned your mind Ed and filled it with stupidity.

Jim Walden is a piece of sh*t. And he was Lucky WSU kept his idiot ass around, lucky Iowa State wanted to put up with it, and lucky we allowed him to crawl back up to the Palouse and run his dumbass mouth.

In the nearly 40 years that I've been following WSU, the fan reaction when an established WSU coach is getting attention from other suitors has remained constant.

Walden, Erickson, Price, Leach, Sampson, Tony Bennett. "He loves Pullman. He's not going anywhere. That program isn't a good fit for him. I think he realizes what he has in Pullman. No way he leaves."

The reality is that none of us know how the coaches, and perhaps more importantly, their wives and family, feel about living in Pullman. I knew Tony Bennett's wife wanted out of Pullman. She made that known within the inner circle of WSUs big wigs. It was just too far away and far removed from everyone in her family. Leach's wife is more mysterious. I haven't heard anything about her opinion on Pullman, or anything else for that matter. Is she ready for warmer weather? Easier flights to wherever they may be traveling? Or does she love the limited media circus and easy lifestyle that Pullman affords them?

Find that out and you'll have discovered a huge piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: SDCoug and Fab5Coug
The SEC turns on everybody eventually...except Saban, because he wins...all the time.

Nobody wanted them Ed.

We had 2 coaches that actually were sought after. Price (who went to Bama) and Ericson (who went to Miami) that's what actually sought after looks like.

WALDEN??!?! bahahaha nobody really wanted Walden. The guy who came after him posted a win total he had never seen in just 2 years. And then MIAMI hired him. A team that actually had won a National Title.

Iowa State with ole Walden got just 1 year with 6 wins out of 8.

His last year. 0-10-1 ... They couldn't beat .Rice..or Northern .Iowa...

He was trash Ed. Trash. An emotional blowhard.

Remember when he complained about Leach. Threw a temper tantrum.

To quote the old coot...

"He's embarrassing my profession. He's taking me somewhere I don't want to go."
– Jim Walden

Yeah.... some place Coach Waldy has never been...

3 bowl games in a row and 3 winning seasons in a row.

Honestly I feel bad for you Ed. It's clear Walden ruined your perception. He poisoned your mind Ed and filled it with stupidity.

Jim Walden is a piece of sh*t. And he was Lucky WSU kept his idiot ass around, lucky Iowa State wanted to put up with it, and lucky we allowed him to crawl back up to the Palouse and run his dumbass mouth.
Wow...Tron....next time I will leave Walden's name out of it. I thought we were talking about coaches that went elsewhere and we wanted. If Sam Jankovich didn't have a LONG history with Dennis he would have never landed that job. Ever. Miami took a chance on a .500 coach that went 6-6 at Wyoming with the prior coaches players, and they actually improved when he was gone, and he was .500 and was 11-10-1 in two seasons. You really believe that a team that had their history would pick Dennis if he had not had the relationship with Sam?

And yes Sherrill, Powers, Walden and Price were all well thought of. You do get Sherrill finished second in the AP twice as the coach of Pitt.

But to the greater point, yeah I get coaches that are sought after. I get each coach has to do what is best for them.

So yeah, I guess I am confused by your point. I originally thought it was about my lack of understanding of coaching searches and then morphed into some diatribe about Walden. Yeah, I appreciate what he had done for the university, and I get his defense of one of his players. I would imagine if asked Leach would have the same reaction and defense of Hal Mumme who at one point in three jobs he was 43-74. I would suspect Leach would tell you he is a great coach. So what.

But back to the point that was originally raised, yeah I get it. I get what it is like to have a desired coach and I always have gone by the old Earl Weaver line...managers are hired to be fired. Very few avoid the firing squad. If Leach left for another school, my guess as great a coach as I think he is he would be like almost every other coach and get fired. Les Mile won 9 games a year and was canned.

Well Look at this.......

Negative Leach haters CougEd & CougPatrol all Over this Thread. Surprise Surprise

Oh, they claim otherwise, but anyone on here with half a memory will know these two guys’ animosity for Coach Leach. They jump at the chance to throw dirt on our winning coach. Want Proof? Click on their names & pull up their post history on this site. They can’t escape the truth

In the nearly 40 years that I've been following WSU, the fan reaction when an established WSU coach is getting attention from other suitors has remained constant.

Walden, Erickson, Price, Leach, Sampson, Tony Bennett. "He loves Pullman. He's not going anywhere. That program isn't a good fit for him. I think he realizes what he has in Pullman. No way he leaves."

The reality is that none of us know how the coaches, and perhaps more importantly, their wives and family, feel about living in Pullman. I knew Tony Bennett's wife wanted out of Pullman. She made that known within the inner circle of WSUs big wigs. It was just too far away and far removed from everyone in her family. Leach's wife is more mysterious. I haven't heard anything about her opinion on Pullman, or anything else for that matter. Is she ready for warmer weather? Easier flights to wherever they may be traveling? Or does she love the limited media circus and easy lifestyle that Pullman affords them?

From what I know they both love WSU. I am not sure that is the component that moves the needle.

I really believe Mike Leach would find interest in wherever he lives. He is a curious guy. His brain goes in about 1000 different directions. How many coaches go to law school then never use the law degree? Maybe I am wet on the issue but the fact he has mentioned on numerous occasions that it is important who he works for and the indoor facility it says to me those are his selling points.

My guess is WSU will be looking at giving him what he deserves, a 2 mil bump. I don't think he would take the Tennessee job, but anyone would have to think that a school that can afford to pay 14 mil a year in coaching salary it would make your ears perk. They owe Butch Jones over 5, plus his staff. As a side note how out of whack are things when schools in Alabama and the SEC live in some of the most impoverished states in the union but put this kind of money out? Anyway I digress.

No one has ever asked but what about playing in front of 32k versus the 102k in Knoxville or 85k in Lincoln. I know how I hope he makes his decision.

Wow...Tron....next time I will leave Walden's name out of it. I thought we were talking about coaches that went elsewhere and we wanted. If Sam Jankovich didn't have a LONG history with Dennis he would have never landed that job. Ever. Miami took a chance on a .500 coach that went 6-6 at Wyoming with the prior coaches players, and they actually improved when he was gone, and he was .500 and was 11-10-1 in two seasons. You really believe that a team that had their history would pick Dennis if he had not had the relationship with Sam?

And yes Sherrill, Powers, Walden and Price were all well thought of. You do get Sherrill finished second in the AP twice as the coach of Pitt.

But to the greater point, yeah I get coaches that are sought after. I get each coach has to do what is best for them.

So yeah, I guess I am confused by your point. I originally thought it was about my lack of understanding of coaching searches and then morphed into some diatribe about Walden. Yeah, I appreciate what he had done for the university, and I get his defense of one of his players. I would imagine if asked Leach would have the same reaction and defense of Hal Mumme who at one point in three jobs he was 43-74. I would suspect Leach would tell you he is a great coach. So what.

But back to the point that was originally raised, yeah I get it. I get what it is like to have a desired coach and I always have gone by the old Earl Weaver line...managers are hired to be fired. Very few avoid the firing squad. If Leach left for another school, my guess as great a coach as I think he is he would be like almost every other coach and get fired. Les Mile won 9 games a year and was canned.

I think his point is that Walden is a turd, and that bringing up Walden is like trying to shine one.

Reactions: walzuu
Well Look at this.......

Negative Leach haters CougEd & CougPatrol all Over this Thread. Surprise Surprise

Oh, they claim otherwise, but anyone on here with half a memory will know these two guys’ animosity for Coach Leach. They jump at the chance to throw dirt on our winning coach. Want Proof? Click on their names & pull up their post history on this site. They can’t escape the truth
Any chance you can simply grow up? How old are you? Seriously? I truly mean that as a legit question.

How has Patrol "thrown dirt" on our winning coach? Are you saying Leach won't be offered another job? If so, you are flat out nuts. He has done a great job at WSU. He represents the school well. But I don't live in some fantasy world and pretend there won't be options or that he won't look if I don't discuss it.

Truth is if we bury our heads in the sand, or in my case discuss the possibilities it doesn't change the fact he will be approached. Sherrill, Powers, Walden, Erickson, Price, Raveling, Kelvin, Tony all were offered what other people termed "better gigs" and WSU is 0-8. To pretend Leach isn't a candidate nor would entertain offers is flat out crazy.

Why you think we want to go back to the Doba and Wulff years is beyond me. I will speak for Patrol and myself since you lumped him in with me...Leach has done a great job. No one wants to see him go. No one. No one wants to go back to 66-0 blowouts. No one wants to risk going back to 4-8, 5-7, 7-5, 5-7. The Tech fans prepped us and we should have the following expectation when it comes to Leach. He will in-explicitly lose to a team he should beat and out -coach a high profile team that he should lose to. If you have that in mind you will enjoy Mike Leach coached team.

Any chance you can simply grow up? How old are you? Seriously? I truly mean that as a legit question.

How has Patrol "thrown dirt" on our winning coach? Are you saying Leach won't be offered another job? If so, you are flat out nuts. He has done a great job at WSU. He represents the school well. But I don't live in some fantasy world and pretend there won't be options or that he won't look if I don't discuss it.

Truth is if we bury our heads in the sand, or in my case discuss the possibilities it doesn't change the fact he will be approached. Sherrill, Powers, Walden, Erickson, Price, Raveling, Kelvin, Tony all were offered what other people termed "better gigs" and WSU is 0-8. To pretend Leach isn't a candidate nor would entertain offers is flat out crazy.

Why you think we want to go back to the Doba and Wulff years is beyond me. I will speak for Patrol and myself since you lumped him in with me...Leach has done a great job. No one wants to see him go. No one. No one wants to go back to 66-0 blowouts. No one wants to risk going back to 4-8, 5-7, 7-5, 5-7. The Tech fans prepped us and we should have the following expectation when it comes to Leach. He will in-explicitly lose to a team he should beat and out -coach a high profile team that he should lose to. If you have that in mind you will enjoy Mike Leach coached team.

I can't speak for every coach there, but I do know that Price was offered the Minnesota job in 1997. He didn't take it. So it's 1-9. You only know the jobs they left for, not the jobs they turned down.

You really think Bennett didn't have opportunities before UVA?

pay increase and that he could be the right guy for Tennessee. Whatever happens it will happen in the next two weeks.
Not going to happen. Not this year. He might get a modest bump, more likely it’ll be a down-the-road bump that takes effect with his rolling extension year. Also might get some increases in his performance incentives. But the budget isn’t there for a big raise.
Schulz knows that he can’t give Leach a 500K or 1M raise at the same time he’s directing across the board cuts to all programs and all campuses, including staff and faculty layoffs. It’ll have to be done creatively, not as cash money.

I think his point is that Walden is a turd, and that bringing up Walden is like trying to shine one.
Got it....so using Walden who left changes the whole dynamics of the discussion. So when I say I have seen Sherrill, Powers, Erickson, Price, Raveling, Kelvin and Tony get offers and leave and that I know what it is like to have a coach that was in some sort of demand that changes the overall point? Got it. will make sure I leave out Walden's name in the future so there wont be this misunderstanding.

I can't speak for every coach there, but I do know that Price was offered the Minnesota job in 1997. He didn't take it. So it's 1-9. You only know the jobs they left for, not the jobs they turned down.

You really think Bennett didn't have opportunities before UVA?
Tony wasn't offered the Marquette or LSU job. I have that from someone who is as close to those situations as you can get. He leveraged both scenarios into a pay increase.

Ill use your math...1-9. Find another example and we will be above the Mendoza line.

Not going to happen. Not this year. He might get a modest bump, more likely it’ll be a down-the-road bump that takes effect with his rolling extension year. Also might get some increases in his performance incentives. But the budget isn’t there for a big raise.
Schulz knows that he can’t give Leach a 500K or 1M raise at the same time he’s directing across the board cuts to all programs and all campuses, including staff and faculty layoffs. It’ll have to be done creatively, not as cash money.
Well Schultz will have to shake up a couple of donors to kick in the extra 2 mil cause that is now the market.

When Bruce Feldman reports it, believe it.

Until then approx $3M per year forever > $5M for 5 years.

Tony wasn't offered the Marquette or LSU job. I have that from someone who is as close to those situations as you can get. He leveraged both scenarios into a pay increase.

Ill use your math...1-9. Find another example and we will be above the Mendoza line.

Well, Mendoza was better than your average.

So, you're saying LSU and Marquette didn't "offer" and yet Bennett leverage that. Hmmm.

Me thinks Ed was wrong on the Internet again....

Well Look at this.......

Yes, please click on my name and pull up my post history because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Well, Mendoza was better than your average.

So, you're saying LSU and Marquette didn't "offer" and yet Bennett leverage that. Hmmm.

Me thinks Ed was wrong on the Internet again....
Just cause he didn't get an offer doesn't mean the administration knew that?

Yes, please click on my name and pull up my post history because I have no idea what you're talking about.
A and M fan sounds like he/she is 12 years old. "Throw dirt on leach". Either he or she is young or he/she doesn't know what throwing dirt is. One or the other.

Just cause he didn't get an offer doesn't mean the administration knew that?

Ohhh. So, in no way, shape or form was there anyone that wanted Bennett before he went to UVA. Yeah....

When Bruce Feldman reports it, believe it.

Until then approx $3M per year forever > $5M for 5 years.
I think there's a lot of truth to this. Nebraska, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and similar schools have high expectations on and off the field, and might not be very tolerant of a coach who wants to spend a big part of the offseason pedaling around the Florida Keys, or writing books about things not remotely connected to football. They don't want their coach to pitch a water bottle into the front row of a press conference, and they don't care how he feels about candy corn. Sure, they'll pay more, but they'll get impatient in a couple years. They'll forgive some eccentricity if they're in the playoff every year, but short of that, those are all temporary gigs with lots of interaction with donors and national media expected.
Contrast that with WSU, where he'll make less money, but if he wins 8-9-10 games per year we'll continue to find his eccentricities funny, we'll not only accept that he's writing books about different topics, we'll buy/read them. And, if he keeps winning 8-9-10 games per year, especially if he gets us to a playoff once, when he retires we'll build monuments to him.

From what I know they both love WSU. I am not sure that is the component that moves the needle.

I really believe Mike Leach would find interest in wherever he lives. He is a curious guy. His brain goes in about 1000 different directions. How many coaches go to law school then never use the law degree? Maybe I am wet on the issue but the fact he has mentioned on numerous occasions that it is important who he works for and the indoor facility it says to me those are his selling points.

My guess is WSU will be looking at giving him what he deserves, a 2 mil bump. I don't think he would take the Tennessee job, but anyone would have to think that a school that can afford to pay 14 mil a year in coaching salary it would make your ears perk. They owe Butch Jones over 5, plus his staff. As a side note how out of whack are things when schools in Alabama and the SEC live in some of the most impoverished states in the union but put this kind of money out? Anyway I digress.

No one has ever asked but what about playing in front of 32k versus the 102k in Knoxville or 85k in Lincoln. I know how I hope he makes his decision.

What on earth are talking about? That was a bizarre comment about paying Saban millions in "one of the most impoverished" states in the union. What does that have to do with anything? They are plenty of very poor people in Washington (I can assure you it's in the tens of thousands...maybe more) and that doesn't have anything to do with how much Leach or Pete gets paid. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orecoug

Forty years? And you have 5-year-old twins?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT