ADVERTISEMENT

Football Scoop...speculates Leach is in line for a huge

Loyal, Palousepuma/Cougpatrol are two of the coolest huskies I know.

Last edited:
When Bruce Feldman reports it, believe it.

Until then approx $3M per year forever > $5M for 5 years.

This is a good point. Is anyone else willing to give him, basically, a guaranteed, never ending contract?

I just can't see schools like Tenn & Nebraska doing that.

This is a good point. Is anyone else willing to give him, basically, a guaranteed, never ending contract?

I'd certainly live on the beautiful Palouse for essentially a guaranteed $3M+ per year...and spend a month out in my second home in the Florida Keys starting right after Feb signing day.

Tough life, huh?

Agree....if Leach were to coach at WSU until he is 67 he would make another 35 mil. Here is the part of the equation that in the above scenario that hasn't been factored in..and I am not a math major....that at the end of 5 years or whatever the time frame that Leach at 62 won't get another offer if he is fired. If he gets fired from one of those two schools in your scenario, I would bet WSU, OSU or whomever who buck up 3 mill for another five years after that, so I am not sure it is about loss of money.

For the record I don't see him on the sidelines of Tennessee. Tennessee is the UCLA of the east. They should be better but they are not.

I work with a Nebraska alum and while he is intrigued by Leach, he knows from the Tech days and recent Leach interviews that the pirate is not a good overall fit for the Cornhuskers. Their fan base would turn on Leach eventually
There is truth in the the old Earl Weaver saying "managers (coaches) are hired to get fired. Almost every fan base has unreal expectations, expect perfection even though the coaches rely on 18-22 year old kids, and eventually almost all coaches wear out their welcome. Heck, even WSU asked the classiest guy imaginable to leave.

There is truth in the the old Earl Weaver saying "managers (coaches) are hired to get fired. Almost every fan base has unreal expectations, expect perfection even though the coaches rely on 18-22 year old kids, and eventually almost all coaches wear out their welcome. Heck, even WSU asked the classiest guy imaginable to leave.
Ken Bone's classiness had nothing to do with keeping him around or letting him go. There has to be some positive results and an improving trend line. His went the other direction.

Glad Cougar

Ken Bone's classiness had nothing to do with keeping him around or letting him go. There has to be some positive results and an improving trend line. His went the other direction.

Glad Cougar
Wasn't talking about Bone.

I don’t see Leach in Arkansas, but I guess you never know. Was Moos’s decision to head to Nebraska influenced by him knowing Leach was going to shop himself around after the season?

I hope WSU offers Leach $4M/year, but if he were to leave, has Grinch shown enough to warrant the head coaching job? He’s consistently mentioned as a top-3 assistant in all of college football.

If Grinch could maintain the defense, do we have an assistant capable of running a modified air raid as offensive coordinator?

I like our assistant coaches and i think Grinch is a Hell of a DC.

I don’t see Leach in Arkansas, but I guess you never know. Was Moos’s decision to head to Nebraska influenced by him knowing Leach was going to shop himself around after the season?

If 'knowing Leach was going to shop" means "couldn't raise money to run his department", then yes, Moos left for that reason.

Leach isn't leaving WSU.

My personal take is the only job that might tempt him is Miami. They have Richt and are doing very well.

What's going to happen is a few schools make calls, Leach gets a raise, and he stays right where he is.

If any of the schools you will see his name linked to in the next few weeks had made a pitch for him when he was going through the hiring process, well Leach might well have been a Razorback or something instead of a Cougar.

But he is like 57. Makes excellent money, people listen to him run his mouth when he wanders way off topic in pressers, has an excellent quality of life in Pullman.

He's not going anywhere. Right now I'd say he has his Texas Tech assembly line running again (Hyslinki or however you spell that name probably steps in next year and they don't miss a beat).

You'll either fire him, or he gets bored with the whole thing and decides to sail around the world.

Is this the same Bill Doba you blame for the collapse of the program under Wulffie?
Banke Fraud...yes it is. No QB, no dline. Recipe for disaster. We were starting to give up a ton of points when Brink couldn't burn clock, Oregon and OSU 50 plus, Arizona 47. So yes Bankeless....while I love Doba and I can also see where the program went.

Go take a golden shower! :)
Banke Job....In two threads you have told someone to take a golden shower and claimed to bang someone's wife. Not to mention all the other sexual references you post. Are you truly this deprived? When you visit the Yakima/Grandview area isn't there some place you can get this taken care of?

BTW...my wife may have visited you at 6 PDT, but since she was back east of the state of Washington it was nine and she left you at 915. I think that is called big hat no cattle.

Banke Fraud...yes it is. No QB, no dline. Recipe for disaster. We were starting to give up a ton of points when Brink couldn't burn clock, Oregon and OSU 50 plus, Arizona 47. So yes Bankeless....while I love Doba and I can also see where the program went.

Big difference between legitimately giving up 50 and "only" giving up 69 because the other team starts taking knees in the first half.

I mean, yea, 53-7 or 52-17 sucks, but it's a whole different world than 69-0, where the 69 easily could have been 100 if the other coach wanted it to be.

In the nearly 40 years that I've been following WSU, the fan reaction when an established WSU coach is getting attention from other suitors has remained constant.

Walden, Erickson, Price, Leach, Sampson, Tony Bennett. "He loves Pullman. He's not going anywhere. That program isn't a good fit for him. I think he realizes what he has in Pullman. No way he leaves."

The reality is that none of us know how the coaches, and perhaps more importantly, their wives and family, feel about living in Pullman. I knew Tony Bennett's wife wanted out of Pullman. She made that known within the inner circle of WSUs big wigs. It was just too far away and far removed from everyone in her family. Leach's wife is more mysterious. I haven't heard anything about her opinion on Pullman, or anything else for that matter. Is she ready for warmer weather? Easier flights to wherever they may be traveling? Or does she love the limited media circus and easy lifestyle that Pullman affords them?

Find that out and you'll have discovered a huge piece of the puzzle.
The difference is that those other coaches hadn't seen or experienced what CML has. They were up and comers who were open to the next opportunity; to think otherwise was naive.

Leach has been there. He's experienced a school with a large donor base, hands on regents and administration, whiny and demanding alum/ donors - you know, the people who got him fired without pay.

I'm not saying that he won't leave, but having experienced the laissez faire at WSU I would think he would at least consider it before jumping back into the shark tank.

Big difference between legitimately giving up 50 and "only" giving up 69 because the other team starts taking knees in the first half.

I mean, yea, 53-7 or 52-17 sucks, but it's a whole different world than 69-0, where the 69 easily could have been 100 if the other coach wanted it to be.
I agree...and if say JT Levi was qb against Oregon and Oregon State and couldn't muster a first down like Brink could, the scores would have been much worse. Brink could play keep away for awhile. That was the difference. That and Doba had started out 2007 with Aaron Johnson, Ropati and Amhu at DT.

The difference is that those other coaches hadn't seen or experienced what CML has. They were up and comers who were open to the next opportunity; to think otherwise was naive.

Leach has been there. He's experienced a school with a large donor base, hands on regents and administration, whiny and demanding alum/ donors - you know, the people who got him fired without pay.

I'm not saying that he won't leave, but having experienced the laissez faire at WSU I would think he would at least consider it before jumping back into the shark tank.
I guess that is the one part I don't get. Why do people think Leach wouldn't go somewhere because they have a vocal fan base or they have unreal expectations. Leach has a great quality not to hear or get wrapped up in that and he simply goes about perfecting his craft.

I guess that is the one part I don't get. Why do people think Leach wouldn't go somewhere because they have a vocal fan base or they have unreal expectations. Leach has a great quality not to hear or get wrapped up in that and he simply goes about perfecting his craft.
Did you read his book? His quotes? Anything at all about his experience at TT?

He stated himself, and I'm paraphrasing here, that having a million cooks telling him how he should do his job was the worst part of being at TT.

Anyone else? Did I mis-read or misunderstand what he wrote?

Did you read his book? His quotes? Anything at all about his experience at TT?

He stated himself, and I'm paraphrasing here, that having a million cooks telling him how he should do his job was the worst part of being at TT.

Anyone else? Did I mis-read or misunderstand what he wrote?
He was talking about administration. That is why if he were to leave it would be for his dream job (which I don't believe is open) or a job where he knows admin. (Bill Moos) I can't see at 57 him taking a job with screwed up administration.

For example, how many hires does Dan Guerro (SIC) get to make before it is he who has to go.

I agree...and if say JT Levi was qb against Oregon and Oregon State and couldn't muster a first down like Brink could, the scores would have been much worse. Brink could play keep away for awhile. That was the difference. That and Doba had started out 2007 with Aaron Johnson, Ropati and Amhu at DT.

As usual, you have omitted that Wulff got every other QB on the depth in front of JT Levenseller injured. Two spinal injuries and one blown knee.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
As usual, you have omitted that Wulff got every other QB on the depth in front of JT Levenseller injured. Two spinal injuries and one blown knee.
Happens all the time. Didn't Halliday miss the Apple Cup because Bosch went out and we started a young center who was run over by Leonard Williams on his way to break Halliday's leg? And didn't Falk miss the 15 Apple Cup because he was carted off in a stretcher? Seems like something that happens when you start and have to play young inexperienced linemen.

Wulff had capable QBs, he just got half of them carried out on stretchers against the formidable pass rush of Portland St.

Reactions: wulffui
Happens all the time. Didn't Halliday miss the Apple Cup because Bosch went out and we started a young center who was run over by Leonard Williams on his way to break Halliday's leg? And didn't Falk miss the 15 Apple Cup because he was carted off in a stretcher? Seems like something that happens when you start and have to play young inexperienced linemen.

Of course, Falk has made 38 of 39 career starts, whereas Wulff got 3 QBs injured in his first 4 weeks on the job. Great comparison otherwise though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT