ADVERTISEMENT

Football Scoop...speculates Leach is in line for a huge

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-coaching-carousel-predicting-will-go-234329345.html

Yahoo sports predicting Leach to Nebraska. Husker fans start drinking cyanide at the thought of not getting Scott Frost.

Never say never, but Leach would be a fool to go to Nebraska. Their fans don't want him and while he is no Bo Pelini, they have already fired one coach that was more blunt than they were comfortable with. Nebraska fans have learned some humility, but they will lose that rapidly and pretty quick, anything less than a B1G championship is going to be a failure.

Never say never, but Leach would be a fool to go to Nebraska. Their fans don't want him and while he is no Bo Pelini, they have already fired one coach that was more blunt than they were comfortable with. Nebraska fans have learned some humility, but they will lose that rapidly and pretty quick, anything less than a B1G championship is going to be a failure.

While I would have hoped Chip Kelly or Scott frost would have taken that gig why would Leach fail? He would give Wisconsin and others all they could handle .

While I would have hoped Chip Kelly or Scott frost would have taken that gig why would Leach fail? He would give Wisconsin and others all they could handle .

I don’t think Leach would do poorly anywhere, but I hope he considers this. How much better will he do at Nebraska? He already has WSU competing for P12N titles, so apart from money, where’s the upside at Nebraska? Still have to get by Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. It’s certainly not a stretch to say that his chances of winning league titles at WSU are as good as they would be at Nebraska.

My Big 12 brethren think that a big part of Nebraska's drop is their choice to go to the B1G. They used to recruit Texas very effectively but can no longer tell recruits that they are going to play in front of their family like they used to. Riley did a decent job of recruiting from California but again.......can't sell recruits on playing in front of family. Leach's ability to find guys in the Southeast shows that playing in front of family isn't everything, but you can't build an entire team on guys like that.

So, Leach would undoubtedly do well at Nebraska, but it isn't the job that it used to be. It's the kind of place that you can finish 9-4 at (as has been done many times in the past 10 years) but they are at a disadvantage when it comes to competing against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan. He's more likely to win a Pac-12 championship at WSU than a B1G championship at Nebraska and the Cornhuskers will run you off if you can't do better than 9-4 fast enough. I now work with a Nebraska alum and he has made it clear that he wants Scott Frost far more than Leach.

My Big 12 brethren think that a big part of Nebraska's drop is their choice to go to the B1G. They used to recruit Texas very effectively but can no longer tell recruits that they are going to play in front of their family like they used to. Riley did a decent job of recruiting from California but again.......can't sell recruits on playing in front of family. Leach's ability to find guys in the Southeast shows that playing in front of family isn't everything, but you can't build an entire team on guys like that.

So, Leach would undoubtedly do well at Nebraska, but it isn't the job that it used to be. It's the kind of place that you can finish 9-4 at (as has been done many times in the past 10 years) but they are at a disadvantage when it comes to competing against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan. He's more likely to win a Pac-12 championship at WSU than a B1G championship at Nebraska and the Cornhuskers will run you off if you can't do better than 9-4 fast enough. I now work with a Nebraska alum and he has made it clear that he wants Scott Frost far more than Leach.

I have heard the same thing from friends of mine from Lincoln. They believe that that they will never be as successful because of the move to the Big 10. It has killed their recruiting.

I agree wit that sentiment. Also, I think the type of football that Nebraska was known for has passed by. The big and strong home-grown offensive lineman that used to be so successful are too slow in today's game. The combination of this and not pulling in the numbers of Texas recruits makes this an attractive school in name only.

You can’t blame them for wanting Frost. He’s one of the top coaching prospects out there and he’s an NU legend. Moos would be crazy to not hire him.

I have heard the same thing from friends of mine from Lincoln. They believe that that they will never be as successful because of the move to the Big 10. It has killed their recruiting.

I agree wit that sentiment. Also, I think the type of football that Nebraska was known for has passed by. The big and strong home-grown offensive lineman that used to be so successful are too slow in today's game. The combination of this and not pulling in the numbers of Texas recruits makes this an attractive school in name only.

Nebraska can't recruit top 10 classes any longer, end of story. For whatever reason, its not happening and there is no reason to believe that it would happen again any time soon, even with some of the coaches they are proposing. Short of Saban deciding to resurrect the program, their fan base/ alumni/ admin should face the reality that they are a winning program that will have occasional shots at greatness, much like everyone else who's name doesn't rhyme with Schmalabama.

Nebraska is in a recession right now, but I’ve learned to never discount super power programs. They may not match what they once were, but they’ll eventually find the right coach to light the spark, and they’ll have success. They have a deep donor pool and a massive fan base. They’ll be back.

Last edited:
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Nebraska is in a recession right now, but I’ve learned to never discount super power programs. They may not match what they once were, but they’ll eventually find the right coach to light the spark, and they’ll have success. They have a deep donor pool and a massive fan base. They’ll be back.

Nebraska has enough resources that they'll be dangerous, but it's pretty obvious that 9-4 is their new ceiling at the moment. The right coach can change that but the last time that Nebraska finished with fewer than 3 losses, Price was still coaching at WSU. Most programs would kill to almost always finish with 9+ wins, but Nebraska has consistently fired coaches who couldn't break that mold. This year is the litmus test for Leach. He's never coached a team to a conference championship and this year is arguably his best chance so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT