ADVERTISEMENT

Funny mutt story

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
So I am over here on the wetside suffering through Snowmageddon. Or Idiotmageddon in my humble country boy opinion.

When I am not effectively and blithely navigating the mess in my studded snow tire equipped Subaru, I am pushing idiots and other helpless folks out of the mush.

So yesterday I come upon a chopped-down Mercedes-Benz with a granola-looking driver hopelessly spinning his wheels just trying to get into his parking space. mutt plates. So I approach along with some other random guy. I ask if he wants some help, then step forward and take a look at his license plate and say "no way I am helping you with those plates". I'm in my Coug coat of course.

The guy is looking at me like "whaaat?", he didn't get it at all. I had to point to my Coug logo, at which point the chick with him (not a uw mutt, but...) and the other guy and I all started laughing at him. Funniest thing I said or saw all week.

I did help him out after all that. Who buys a Mercedes and then chops it down? Isn't that for Toyota Corollas and such?

So I am over here on the wetside suffering through Snowmageddon. Or Idiotmageddon in my humble country boy opinion.

When I am not effectively and blithely navigating the mess in my studded snow tire equipped Subaru, I am pushing idiots and other helpless folks out of the mush.

So yesterday I come upon a chopped-down Mercedes-Benz with a granola-looking driver hopelessly spinning his wheels just trying to get into his parking space. mutt plates. So I approach along with some other random guy. I ask if he wants some help, then step forward and take a look at his license plate and say "no way I am helping you with those plates". I'm in my Coug coat of course.

The guy is looking at me like "whaaat?", he didn't get it at all. I had to point to my Coug logo, at which point the chick with him (not a uw mutt, but...) and the other guy and I all started laughing at him. Funniest thing I said or saw all week.

I did help him out after all that. Who buys a Mercedes and then chops it down? Isn't that for Toyota Corollas and such?
Good for you. You probably helped him wreck a mile down the road :D

Reactions: metprof

One of the most amazing snow/ice related things that I ever saw was a Camaro at the Bookie in the winter in about 1991. Dude put the car in reverse and the tires just started slowly rotating while the car sat in one spot. Tires were turning about a revolution every couple seconds while it was idling. Crazy.

As to who chops a German car....I consider that the urban version of putting a 3/4 ton 4x4 so far up in the air that you need a 2 rung step ladder to get in & out. There is no real functional reason for either of these choices, and many solid reasons not to do so, but both scream out (in their own way), "Look at me! I need attention and at least a little envy and/or approval!!".

As a side note, I was always amazed that either Subaru or Honda did not buy the IHC truck line when International discontinued it. Subaru in particular, with their all wheel cars, would have fit very well into the existing IHC pickup dealer network. I suspect it was mostly because Subaru didn't have the money to pull it off. Honda, on the other hand, was very (very, very) ethnocentric at the time and was unlikely to see value in buying a US manufacturer, particularly one that was perceived as being third tier. Either one of those manufacturers could have ridden the pickup boom had they had the gonads and vision to grab the opportunity. IHC's Scout and TravelAll were the direct competitors to the Blazer and Suburban (many I knew preferred the former to the latter), and within less than a decade of IHC's decision to drop the product, the SUV boom was on.

Reactions: 79COUG
As to who chops a German car....I consider that the urban version of putting a 3/4 ton 4x4 so far up in the air that you need a 2 rung step ladder to get in & out. There is no real functional reason for either of these choices, and many solid reasons not to do so, but both scream out (in their own way), "Look at me! I need attention and at least a little envy and/or approval!!".

As a side note, I was always amazed that either Subaru or Honda did not buy the IHC truck line when International discontinued it. Subaru in particular, with their all wheel cars, would have fit very well into the existing IHC pickup dealer network. I suspect it was mostly because Subaru didn't have the money to pull it off. Honda, on the other hand, was very (very, very) ethnocentric at the time and was unlikely to see value in buying a US manufacturer, particularly one that was perceived as being third tier. Either one of those manufacturers could have ridden the pickup boom had they had the gonads and vision to grab the opportunity. IHC's Scout and TravelAll were the direct competitors to the Blazer and Suburban (many I knew preferred the former to the latter), and within less than a decade of IHC's decision to drop the product, the SUV boom was on.

I have always preferred to drive a sedan, and as such have owned Legacys. Great cars. I was disappointed to see that Subaru came out with the non-4wd BRZ. Blasphemy. As far as trucks go, I despise the Japanese models. Buy a Chevy, dammit!

Oh and yeah, the jacked up trucks are usually Fords. Often a smoky, smelly, loud diesel, with the tailpipe right up at about my window level. Ever notice that ALL Fords and Dodge diesels of all years smoke, stink, and are loud? We bought a 2009 Chevy diesel pickup. Does not smell, does not smoke, and it isn't all that loud. And doesn't need to be warmed up for 10 minutes polluting the entire neighborhood like those Ford/Dodge owners think theirs need to be.

Speaking of 4WD, I still don't get the difference between 4WD and AWD. A vehicle has 4 wheels. So, AWD is 4WD. Right? I always kind of assumed that AWD meant the car had some sort of Positrac (sp?), such that all 4 tires would turn in slippery conditions? Not the case at all with my AWD. 2 wheels turn. One front, one back. I've had this discussion multiple times, and no one has been able to explain it yet. So............?

I have always preferred to drive a sedan, and as such have owned Legacys. Great cars. I was disappointed to see that Subaru came out with the non-4wd BRZ. Blasphemy. As far as trucks go, I despise the Japanese models. Buy a Chevy, dammit!

Oh and yeah, the jacked up trucks are usually Fords. Often a smoky, smelly, loud diesel, with the tailpipe right up at about my window level. Ever notice that ALL Fords and Dodge diesels of all years smoke, stink, and are loud? We bought a 2009 Chevy diesel pickup. Does not smell, does not smoke, and it isn't all that loud. And doesn't need to be warmed up for 10 minutes polluting the entire neighborhood like those Ford/Dodge owners think theirs need to be.

Speaking of 4WD, I still don't get the difference between 4WD and AWD. A vehicle has 4 wheels. So, AWD is 4WD. Right? I always kind of assumed that AWD meant the car had some sort of Positrac (sp?), such that all 4 tires would turn in slippery conditions? Not the case at all with my AWD. 2 wheels turn. One front, one back. I've had this discussion multiple times, and no one has been able to explain it yet. So............?

Please to not be talking smack about the Toyota pickups! Had a 1986 SR5 Turbo that got 190,000 trouble free miles before selling it, and still have my 1998 Tacoma which also has had about 190,000 trouble free miles. Excellent vehicles!

Here is some info for you on AWD vs 4wd:

What's the difference between 4WD and AWD?
Four-wheel drive is not all-wheel drive. Here's why
The popularity of four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles has boomed in the last decade.

Most mainstream manufacturers have released ‘crossover’ vehicles to take advantage of the public’s obsession with SUVs, but it’s not just traditional SUV and 4x4 vehicles that have contributed to the boom.

More and more cars have been offering all-wheel drive drivetrains, from high-performance sports cars to luxury sedans and family-oriented people-movers.

But why do manufacturers use different terms? Isn’t four-wheel drive (4WD) and all-wheel drive (AWD) the same thing? Let’s have a look at the different terms in use and what each of them should mean.

Subaru_symmetricalAWD-r47a.jpg

Subaru all-wheel drive system, with front driveshaft integrated in transmission (Subaru symmetrical AWD)
Although each manufacturer tends to use its own name for its chassis systems for branding reasons, we are generally able to separate 4WD/AWD drivetrains into three basic groups: full-time 4WD, part-time 4WD and all-wheel drive.

Each system is different in terms of how and when torque is supplied to each wheel, so it's important to choose the correct system for your typical vehicle use.

Related Reading: What Medium SUV Should I Buy?
Full-time 4WD operates as the name suggests. At all times torque is supplied to all four wheels, all of the time. The driver usually has several options available to them which affect the operation of the drivetrain depending on the conditions that are encountered.

In normal operation (such as driving on a bitumen surface) the front and rear axles are split by a differential which allows them to operate at different speeds when required -- for example, when cornering.

PorscheCayenne_reardifferential-fmo3.jpg

Rear differential of Porsche Cayenne (Porsche Cayenne rear differential)
In most vehicles there will be the option of ‘diff lock’. This locks up the centre differential and restricts any rotational difference between the front and rear axles. It’s a feature that is commonly used when off-roading to gain maximum traction.

There may also be the option of ‘low range’. Usually used in extreme off-road conditions and on steep inclines, this changes the gearing of the drivetrain to provide a torque multiplying effect similar to the lowest gearing on a mountain bike.

Related Reading: What Large SUV Should I Buy?
Part-time 4WD is the original 4WD system and the most basic.

As with full-time 4WD there are several options available to the driver. In normal conditions the vehicle is driven in two-wheel drive, usually powering only the rear wheels. 4WD mode can be selected either by a separate mechanical lever or by an electronic switching system.

When 4WD is selected, torque is split evenly between the four wheels.

PorscheCayenne_frontdrivetrain-r93i.jpg

Front suspension and drivetrain components of Porsche Cayenne (Porsche Cayenne front drivetrain)
Part-time 4WD vehicles tend not to have differentials between the front and rear axles. This limits the use of 4WD to off-road use because use of this feature on bitumen surfaces (where tyres have good traction) can cause excess stress and damage to the drivetrain (often called wind-up).

Most vehicles of this type have the option of ‘low range’ for extreme off-road conditions.

All-wheel drive is in some ways similar to the full-time 4WD system in that it also sends torque to all four wheels constantly.

Related Reading: What Is Magnetic Ride Control?
However, most modern AWD systems don't offer drivers the option to operate in two-wheel drive and, unlike the 4WD systems, the differential between the front and rear axles cannot be locked.

The differentials do, however, have ability to limit slippage between the axles if a low traction situation is encountered.

MitsubishiPajero_DualRange-asem.jpg

Dual-range transfer is indicated by the secondary ‘gear shifter’ in permanent 4WDs (Mitsubishi Pajero)
For example, some high-tech performance AWD systems can direct up to 100 per cent of torque to the front or rear axle depending on conditions (think Porsche 911 Turbo).

Meantime, some AWD systems are essentially only part-time, driving only the front wheels until traction loss is sensed and torque is automatically directed to the rear wheels (think Honda CR-V).

Related Reading: What is Electronic Stability Control?
Usually this ability is provided with a differential known as a viscous coupling or multi-plate clutch, although more recently a similar outcome has been achieved by using electronically-controlled hydraulic or electro-magnetic ‘clutch’ systems.

AWD systems also lack the ‘low range’ feature which is common in most 4WDs, like a LandCruiser, and are less effective and more fragile than 4WD systems in situations where high torque is required.

Indeed, most AWD systems simply cannot satisfy high-torque demands when the vehicle is off-road, therefore AWD vehicles tend to be more ‘car-like' or 'crossover' wagon style than obvious off-roaders like the Ford Everest.

PorscheCayenne_reardrivetrain-0mq2.jpg

Rear suspension and differential of Porsche Cayenne (Porsche Cayenne rear drivetrain)
That said, many car-based 'SUVs' are now also available in cheaper front-drive form and indeed some are produced only in 2WD guise, like the Ford EcoSport.

Given the capability of most modern (and now mandatory) electronic control systems, if you're buying such a vehicle as a higher-riding, more practical substitute for a small hatch or family wagon, then save your money and don't pay more to buy, run and maintain an all-wheel drive.

If you need the extra traction of AWD for slippery or loose unsealed roads where extra ground clearance doesn't suffice, chances are the greater cost will be offset by the benefits of all-wheel drive.

But choose only four-wheel drive – as fitted to the ute-based Everest, Toyota Fortuner, Holden Trailblazer, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and Isuzu MU-X – if you plan on heading well away from the beaten track.

Great summary article, Stretch. Good info there.

The grossly oversimplified and short thumbnail for the non-technical is that front wheel drive vehicles were great for ice & snow, but having help (mostly for traction and stability, not for power) from the rear wheels was desirable. That led to adding rear wheel capability to what started out as front wheel drive vehicles. In general, when you add (for want of better terms) "as required" or "booster" rear wheel drive to a front wheel drive vehicle, you get all wheel drive (AWD). Some designs always put power to the rear wheels and some put it there only when required.

Four wheel drive, on the other hand, stems from taking a rear wheel drive vehicle and adding power to the front wheels. 4WD vehicles that always have power to all four wheels are considered to be full time four wheel drive. Variations of vehicles that have power to the front wheels only when desired or as required come in a couple of flavors, but are not referred to as full time 4WD....they are just in the general 4WD category.

Great summary article, Stretch. Good info there.

The grossly oversimplified and short thumbnail for the non-technical is that front wheel drive vehicles were great for ice & snow, but having help (mostly for traction and stability, not for power) from the rear wheels was desirable. That led to adding rear wheel capability to what started out as front wheel drive vehicles. In general, when you add (for want of better terms) "as required" or "booster" rear wheel drive to a front wheel drive vehicle, you get all wheel drive (AWD). Some designs always put power to the rear wheels and some put it there only when required.

Four wheel drive, on the other hand, stems from taking a rear wheel drive vehicle and adding power to the front wheels. 4WD vehicles that always have power to all four wheels are considered to be full time four wheel drive. Variations of vehicles that have power to the front wheels only when desired or as required come in a couple of flavors, but are not referred to as full time 4WD....they are just in the general 4WD category.

Thanks to both. Although I am still confused. I get the obvious differences between my Subaru and my Chevy pickup, (2wd, 4H and 4L), but for the most part it still sounds like AWD and a 4WD in 4H are pretty much the same thing. At least for my car and truck. When I'm slipping around in mud or snow, only one front and one rear tire get traction. No positrack. Although when I'm (very rarely) in 4L in the truck, it almost feels like all 4 are gripping.

Now my Polaris ATV has the option of 4WD, 2WD, and 1WD. The 1WD comes in handy when trying to make sharp, low speed turns, like when parking. Pretty sure that in 2WD both tires get traction, and when in 4WD all 4 get traction.

Let me guess.......40 series tires on 22" rims?

Subaru already has a heavy truck line, Fuji heavy industries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT