ADVERTISEMENT

James Williams runs the 40 in. . .

4.58 40 is SLOW for a smaller NFL back, sad that that will probably hurt his draft stock. Probably get drafted rounds 5, 6,7. If he had run a 4.39 to 4.47, 40 time, instead of 4.58, he probably would be drafted bottom of 3rd round to middle of 5th round.

4.58 40 is SLOW for a smaller NFL back, sad that that will probably hurt his draft stock. Probably get drafted rounds 5, 6,7. If he had run a 4.39 to 4.47, 40 time, instead of 4.58, he probably would be drafted bottom of 3rd round to middle of 5th round.

Boobie was always a late round pick. He's performing well in the on field drills and in other drills, so I think he's helping himself. I think him and Dillard get drafted. I don't know about Gardner.

Also to put his 40 time into perspective I ran a 4.59 to 4.63 40, as fastest time, in highschool, college, and I was not even very good, athletic, tho managed to semi successfully walk onto BBCC basketball team, when was younger.

That puts into perspective, makes clear that his 40 time was not good at all.

Also to put his 40 time into perspective I ran a 4.59 to 4.63 40, as fastest time, in highschool, college, and I was not even very good, athletic, tho managed to semi successfully walk onto BBCC basketball team, when was younger.

Hand time is a bit different then what Boobs was being timed by

Was as fast as Myles Gaskin and faster than Singleton from FAU, Love, Montgomery from ISU.

Yeah that does help out his time, moves him from 5th, 6th, 7th, to 4th, 5th, 6th.

Best: Top pick of 4th.

To bad he cant run the 40 faster, and go 3rd, 4th, 5th, and have best be bottom pick of 2nd round, top pick of 3rd round.

At James' size his 40 time will hurt him. Only a handful of teams like Patriots and others that utilize smaller pass catching backs. I'm surprised he didn't run faster. Marks ran slow too. Just shows you how rare 4.4 guys truly are. Lots of recruits think they are 4.4 and they arent because their pe teacher clocked them in with a stopwatch at 4.49. Still faster than I ever was, but 4.4 electronic time (esp combine) is super rare.

At James' size his 40 time will hurt him. Only a handful of teams like Patriots and others that utilize smaller pass catching backs. I'm surprised he didn't run faster. Marks ran slow too. Just shows you how rare 4.4 guys truly are. Lots of recruits think they are 4.4 and they arent because their pe teacher clocked them in with a stopwatch at 4.49. Still faster than I ever was, but 4.4 electronic time (esp combine) is super rare.

He's always had an uphill climb to make a squad. He didn't have the hype of some of the other backs, and tbh running backs are disposable in today's NFL - why pay for a rb who won't be transformative (most aren't) when you could just pick them up after the draft for practically zero.

Boobie is about 5 years too early - as the league moves more towards having a Marshall Faulk on every roster due to the air raid, receiving rb's will become a premium commodity.

Hand time is a bit different then what Boobs was being timed by
The standard hand time conversion is to add .22sec. Pretty sizable.

You see lots of kids get frustrated at recruiting combines. They think they ran slower than normal, but in reality their coach is usually around .3sec fast.

The standard hand time conversion is to add .22sec. Pretty sizable.

You see lots of kids get frustrated at recruiting combines. They think they ran slower than normal, but in reality their coach is usually around .3sec fast.
that's generous. I've always heard three tenths.

You know... I don't get this whole "stop watch" thing. I'm a horse guy. Western. I go to these barrel races, out in the middle of the sticks. And guess what?! They have electronic laser eyes. Goes down to the thousandth of a second. And these schools can't set up a couple eyes?
Sports Timer - Barrel Racing, Poles, Mounted Shooting
Go REAAAAAL big and buy a big reading board for it instead of a smaller desktop style readout?
TITLE Platinum Professional Fight & Gym Timer
Wow. Spending, lets go big and say... $700 bucks is where athletics is drawing the line so these players have a real accurate assessment of where they are... wow. These cowgirls can figure this out to the thousandth of a second but college programs can't... amazing. And that ISN'T a knock on the cowgirls, just sayin.

Reactions: rufffrider
You know... I don't get this whole "stop watch" thing. I'm a horse guy. Western. I go to these barrel races, out in the middle of the sticks. And guess what?! They have electronic laser eyes. Goes down to the thousandth of a second. And these schools can't set up a couple eyes?
Go REAAAAAL big and buy a big reading board for it instead of a smaller desktop style readout?
Wow. Spending, lets go big and say... $700 bucks is where athletics is drawing the line so these players have a real accurate assessment of where they are... wow. These cowgirls can figure this out to the thousandth of a second but college programs can't... amazing. And that ISN'T a knock on the cowgirls, just sayin.

I can't speak to Boobies high school, but I can tell you first hand that $700 dollars at the school I coached at might as well have been a million. Especially if you were a sport that the AD didn't think deserved any allocations of money because track sucks and baseball rocks.

Reactions: walzuu
4th in 20 yard shuttle, 4th in 3 cone, 5th in vertical jump. He helped himself today.
He was bound to do well in shuttle and 3 cone. He showed off his agility routinely in the open field. Lack of elite vision/decision-making at the line is his primary weakness. Give him Gaskin's craftiness inside and he'd be in the top 3 rounds even with that 40 time.

4.58 is fine, sure a 4.4 would have been better, but there are plenty of backs in the league that are 4.58 or slower.
Boobie was never going to run faster than 4.5. He's fast enough to be effective but it's not what defines his utility

LOL. I look at this as the same as reporting of heights and weights for players. Why report something accurately (if you don't have to) when a little "creative" reporting (height, weight, speed, …) might create cause and concern for the opposition. "Let's see, little Johnny measured 5'9" and 179#, and ran the 40 in 5.22... You know, I've never been good with odd numbers -- let's call it 6'0", 200#, and 5 flat..."

Add 2/10 to that, hand time vs electronic time.

But yeah 4.58 is not what he needed.

4.58 is fine for what they will ask him to do.

4.53 40 would be just barely fast enough for him. 4.58 is ALMOST 4.6, and 4.6 is too slow.

To put that into perspective many blue blood, power 5 football colleges like Bama, etc, wont recruit a RB, skill player that runs a 4.61+, slower 40 time, and 4.58 is CLOSE to 4.61 40 time, which means BAMA would not recruit James, because his 40 time too slow for his SMALL size.

If a 40 time is too slow for all the Bama type colleges, its too slow for the NFL, IN GENERAL, except for rare exceptions.

4.58 would be too slow for a SMALL rb, tailback, scatback, like James, by itself, for the NFL.

By itself. 4.58 40 for scatback equals 6th, 7th round, undrafted free agent.

With the rest of his skillset, dominating the rest of the combine, 4.58, 40, etc, goes from 6th, 7th, undrafted, to 4,5,6,7 rounds.

If his 40 time were 4.5 to 4.53 40, then 3,4,5th rounds. If was 4.39 to 4.46, then 2,3,4th rounds.

Twice he was called for "false starts," yet, slowing his take off, he still ran essentially the same times. No other back, from what I saw tonight, was called for a re-do. Myles the mutt back ran a 4.6 twice (OK, 4.59 the second time). A real Coug, unlike some here, would jump all over that.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Twice he was called for "false starts," yet, slowing his take off, he still ran essentially the same times. No other back, from what I saw tonight, was called for a re-do. Myles the mutt back ran a 4.6 twice (OK, 4.59 the second time). A real Coug, unlike some here, would jump all over that.

Heh, neither of them are Darrell Green, that's established, and we all knew it from watching the games. Crazy stupid speed is often glaringly obvious if a back gets enough carries to show he has it. Again, go back and watch footage from 1982 (yes yes the QB Draft of '83, but consider: Dickerson, Dupree, Jackson, Walker, Rozier, Hilliard, etc) and the NFL Hall of Famers and guys that had serious wheels are easy to spot. It's also rare to see more than a couple of them in any given year.

Yet, no one knows who you are and several know who he is.

Heh, neither of them are Darrell Green, that's established, and we all knew it from watching the games. Crazy stupid speed is often glaringly obvious if a back gets enough carries to show he has it. Again, go back and watch footage from 1982 (yes yes the QB Draft of '83, but consider: Dickerson, Dupree, Jackson, Walker, Rozier, Hilliard, etc) and the NFL Hall of Famers and guys that had serious wheels are easy to spot. It's also rare to see more than a couple of them in any given year.
Speed isn’t everything but there’s a reason they do these tests. Jerry Rice they say ran like a 4.6 and he was burning guys all over the field. John Ross had the fastest time ever and has been a huge disappointment. It’s an Inexact science. JW needs to get into a camp and show the goods, he will be fine.

I've said this before on these forums, if a situational/receiving back like Theo Riddick at 5'9" 201 can hang on the Lions roster for going on 7 years in the NFL, then Williams has a good shot. All Williams needs is a team that sees him as playing a similar role and he should be set.

Check out Riddick's NFL stats vs what Williams did at WSU. Quite the similarity.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiddTh00.htm

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/james-williams-13.html

By the way, Riddick ran a 4.68 40 at the combine.

I've said this before on these forums, if a situational/receiving back like Theo Riddick at 5'9" 201 can hang on the Lions roster for going on 7 years in the NFL, then Williams has a good shot. All Williams needs is a team that sees him as playing a similar role and he should be set.

Check out Riddick's NFL stats vs what Williams did at WSU. Quite the similarity.

I would not be shocked to see Kyler Murray, Andre Dillard, and Boobie in Cardinals uniforms

Speed isn’t everything but there’s a reason they do these tests. Jerry Rice they say ran like a 4.6 and he was burning guys all over the field. John Ross had the fastest time ever and has been a huge disappointment. It’s an Inexact science. JW needs to get into a camp and show the goods, he will be fine.

Jerry Rice had BURST, ACCELERATION, which is different then 40 m, 100 m speed. He also could ALMOST LITERALLY STOP ON DIME, change speeds, cut, go in opposite directions, which was proven by Mythbusters show. That is why he could get open. Also part of the reason he could burn players deep, is that he could run ALL OUT, stop on dime, turn around, catch pass from Montana. Because of that, he could run ALL OUT, temporarily stop on dime, turn around as if was going to catch pass, suck db, corner, safety in, then spin around db, etc, burst speed up, accelerate, separate, beat, get open deep, catch deep ball from montana, which set up the stop on dime play, which set up deep route.

Because of that, Rice's 4.6 speed was fast enough. Also Rice made athletic catches, had excellent body control, wasnt small, etc, which another reason why 4.6 was fast enough for Rice. Also Rice had Montana. When have Montana, dont have to have 4.6 speed, with Montana, West Coast, Semi Air Raid like offense.

Also that was back then. Todays players are usually faster then the players back then. Also the DB's back then were usually 4.6, and also werent as fast as DB's now. Also Rice thru training BECAME faster then 4.6

While that is either true or probably true, Riddick probably was probably either drafted 6th, 7th rounds or undrafted free agent.

Nobody is saying that James wont make the NFL or do well in the NFL. I think he might probably do well in NFL, and we all want to see him make NFL, do well in NFL.

But that said, I think James, goes about 4,5,6 in NFL draft, and that if he hadnt dominated the rest of combine in addition to his 4.58 40, that he would have gone 5,6,7, and that if he had a 4.39 to 4.46 40, combined with dominating combine, that he would have gone 2,3,4

The reason why Riddick is in NFL with 4.68 40, is probably like Barry Sanders, probably has elite vision, probably has elite elusiveness, probably elitely sees the holes, probably hits holes, creases hard; probably has elite, temporary, BURST, ACCELERATION, temporarily, probably has elite tackle breaking, probably is a elite blocker for size, etc.

Also he probably dominated, finished 1st in combine, in every combine category except 40 time.

He probably also dominated camp.

When can do all that, then could run a 4.78 40 and probably still play in NFL

But 4.58 40 by itself is NOT good.

And the NFL usually determines draft order, whether SMALL rb, wr, skillplayer, gets drafted by if 40 time is fast enough.

Jerry Rice had BURST, ACCELERATION, which is different then 40 m, 100 m speed. He also could ALMOST LITERALLY STOP ON DIME, change speeds, cut, go in opposite directions, which was proven by Mythbusters show. That is why he could get open. Also part of the reason he could burn players deep, is that he could run ALL OUT, stop on dime, turn around, catch pass from Montana. Because of that, he could run ALL OUT, temporarily stop on dime, turn around as if was going to catch pass, suck db, corner, safety in, then spin around db, etc, burst speed up, accelerate, separate, beat, get open deep, catch deep ball from montana, which set up the stop on dime play, which set up deep route.

Because of that, Rice's 4.6 speed was fast enough. Also Rice made athletic catches, had excellent body control, wasnt small, etc, which another reason why 4.6 was fast enough for Rice. Also Rice had Montana. When have Montana, dont have to have 4.6 speed, with Montana, West Coast, Semi Air Raid like offense.

Also that was back then. Todays players are usually faster then the players back then. Also the DB's back then were usually 4.6, and also werent as fast as DB's now. Also Rice thru training BECAME faster then 4.6
a 40 time is acceleration more than top speed. Herchel Walker ran a faster hundred than Bo, for example, but Bo was more sudden. Barry Sanders ran a 4.3 but he could be caught from behind by somebody like Darrell Green who had the long wheels.

a 40 time is acceleration more than top speed. Herchel Walker ran a faster hundred than Bo, for example, but Bo was more sudden. Barry Sanders ran a 4.3 but he could be caught from behind by somebody like Darrell Green who had the long wheels.

In many 100-meter races, Usain Bolt hardly ever led in the first 50-55 meters, but his stride was unbeatable. This just shows that some guys have that initial explosion, and some do not. In looking at Boobie, I felt his get-off stance was poor.

Could you elaborate on that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT