ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread. Americas Team vs utah

I honestly don’t get the rationale for “he never turned around” on PI

DB was in position, ball was underthrown and should have been a pick, there was no grabbing or pulling, but bc he “never turned around” they get a 1st down and 15 free yards?

literally what is the rationale there, and why do they call that and not the low hit as ward was sliding at the end of the 1Q?

Reactions: kougkurt and sellas
I honestly don’t get the rationale for “he never turned around” on PI

DB was in position, ball was underthrown and should have been a pick, there was no grabbing or pulling, but bc he “never turned around” they get a 1st down and 15 free yards?

literally what is the rationale there, and why do they call that and not the low hit as ward was sliding at the end of the 1Q?
Simply put, he was not making a play on the ball, he was playing the receiver. And he ran into him and interfered with the opportunity to make the catch. If he turns his head, he’s playing the ball…and he recognizes it’s short and makes the INT.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Let’s also recognize that Jenkins isn’t physically ready yet. Great upside, but he’s not ready for inside duty yet. Losing Watson hurt.

Yes losing the inside runner really hurts.
Is there another option to give Jenkins a rest.
He'll be a target the rest of the game.

The defensive gameplan needs to be adjusted. They’re doing what Oregon State did. All we freaking have to do is spy the QB. That’s it.

Simply put, he was not making a play on the ball, he was playing the receiver. And he ran into him and interfered with the opportunity to make the catch. If he turns his head, he’s playing the ball…and he recognizes it’s short and makes the INT.
“he…interfered with the opportunity to make the catch” is nonsense though

if a linebacker steps in front of a screen and takes it to the house for a pick 6, he also “interfered with the opportunity to make the catch”

in fact, that’s the whole point of defense: to interfere with the offense’s ability to make plays

the ball was underthrown; worse, it was basically thrown to the db. The idea that bc he “never looked back” we’re giving them a do-over and 15 free yards is lunacy IMO

Who’s our strength coach? I want to ask him why quarterbacks are running over our LBs

“he…interfered with the opportunity to make the catch” is nonsense though

if a linebacker steps in front of a screen and takes it to the house for a pick 6, he also “interfered with the opportunity to make the catch”

in fact, that’s the whole point of defense: to interfere with the offense’s ability to make plays

the ball was underthrown; worse, it was basically thrown to the db. The idea that bc he “never looked back” we’re giving them a do-over and 15 free yards is lunacy IMO
Yes, but you’re not supposed to interfere with the man. You’re supposed to make the play on the ball. And if you don’t turn to look for the ball, you can’t argue that you’re playing the ball.

The "mistake" of going out of bounds stabbed us with a sword... the 4th down execution/fumble made it twist.

Yes, but you’re not supposed to interfere with the man. You’re supposed to make the play on the ball. And if you don’t turn to look for the ball, you can’t argue that you’re playing the ball.
The point is that he WASN’T interfering with the man though

QB threw the ball into the back of the DB’s neck. DB was not grabbing/pulling/tripping receiver

I understand it’s TECHNICALLY PI; I’m suggesting it’s stupid AF that a QB throws a bad ball but gets a 1st down and a 15 yard bailout, literally bc of DB eye contact

The point is that he WASN’T interfering with the man though

QB threw the ball into the back of the DB’s neck. DB was not grabbing/pulling/tripping receiver

I understand it’s TECHNICALLY PI; I’m suggesting it’s stupid AF that a QB throws a bad ball but gets a 1st down and a 15 yard bailout, literally bc of DB eye contact
It was catchable, especially if the DB doesn’t run into him. A bit of a judgement call, but most refs are going to throw that flag.

That was a poorly designed and poorly executed option.

Morris does not have a run game scheme. He has a collection of plays that look mish mashed together. Why be a zone read team but not run zone read when it’s time to run the option?

Reactions: froropmkr72
It was catchable, especially if the DB doesn’t run into him. A bit of a judgement call, but most refs are going to throw that flag.
We’re on the same page that it’s the rule, just not that it SHOULD be a rule

DB should not have responsibility to get out of catch area any more than a LB should be obligated to ignore an INT bc it would be rude. the wrinkle is where he was looking - as if looking is itself improper/unfair behavior

Morris does not have a run game scheme. He has a collection of plays that look mish mashed together. Why be a zone read team but not run zone read when it’s time to run the option?
Well…and there’s also rarely a good time to run option against a good defense, especially to the short side, and with your backup RB.

We’re on the same page that it’s the rule, just not that it SHOULD be a rule

DB should not have responsibility to get out of catch area any more than a LB should be obligated to ignore an INT bc it would be rude. the wrinkle is where he was looking - as if looking is itself improper/unfair behavior
I’m fine with the call. You have to play the ball. He didn’t.

i'm fine if they call targeting there IF they had called it on the utah defender who lowered his helmet to crush ward when he was sliding at the end of the 1q

bad look to let the first one slide and not this one

Reactions: justinbgocougs
20 seconds later and we lose him for the first half next week too. Might very well make the difference this week, but at least we have him for the full game next week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT