ADVERTISEMENT

Phelps an upgrade over Salave'a?

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Spokesman Article about Phelps

I saw a link to the above article with the question of whether or not Phelps would be an upgrade as our DL coach. My first thought is that Joe was pretty good on the recruiting front and known for getting his players to play with intensity. Beyond that, I guess I could see Phelps being very good for us. Minnesota certainly made us look ordinary in the bowl game with Phelps running the DL. I've wondered if a few of the recent player departures have been influenced by Joe leaving for Oregon but I'm hopeful that getting a guy who is more technique driven as opposed to guy who was more focused on the "be the most excited to play" aspect pays dividends in the long run.

As much as anything, the article bodes well for the future of our DL.

I think so one can teach technique but also needs to install fire in the players. Phelps showed he can do both.This season will be interesting to say the least.

I saw a link to the above article with the question of whether or not Phelps would be an upgrade as our DL coach. My first thought is that Joe was pretty good on the recruiting front and known for getting his players to play with intensity. Beyond that, I guess I could see Phelps being very good for us. Minnesota certainly made us look ordinary in the bowl game with Phelps running the DL. I've wondered if a few of the recent player departures have been influenced by Joe leaving for Oregon but I'm hopeful that getting a guy who is more technique driven as opposed to guy who was more focused on the "be the most excited to play" aspect pays dividends in the long run.

I liked Joe and in general was sad to see him go..I think he was a pretty good coach and certainly an ambassador for WSU particularly with the Pacific Islanders.

However...the lack of bodies currently available on the interior D-Line certainly suggests he was not getting the job done as well as we all thought on the recruiting trail. That combined with the sieve the DLine was against the run the last few games of last season tells me it's not an impossible feat for someone to come in and be a better recruiter and coach the position better as well.

Phelps seemed to have done a great job with a Minnesota program that's comparable to WSU as far as national prestige, so I'm excited to see if he can do the same here.

I liked Joe and in general was sad to see him go..I think he was a pretty good coach and certainly an ambassador for WSU particularly with the Pacific Islanders.

However...the lack of bodies currently available on the interior D-Line certainly suggests he was not getting the job done as well as we all thought on the recruiting trail. That combined with the sieve the DLine was against the run the last few games of last season tells me it's not an impossible feat for someone to come in and be a better recruiter and coach the position better as well.

Phelps seemed to have done a great job with a Minnesota program that's comparable to WSU as far as national prestige, so I'm excited to see if he can do the same here.
The shortage of bodies goes to entire staff. He isn't the only person recruiting players at that position.

The loss of Sterling, Bartley, Tapa, and Fehoko hasn't helped. Toss in Pepua's and Toki's FTQ, and you have six bodies not on the roster. But at least this staff actually signed d-tackle prospects (almost as many high school line prospects as the previous staff signed in four years for the o-line, a failure that was defended ed nauseam for years).

He's certainly much more articulate in interviews. Time will tell if he's a coaching upgrade, although Leach says Phelps' track record of doing more with less at Minnesota is impressive, and some current d-linemen suggest they're learning more about technique.

Coach Joe's defensive line played hard, but we had a lot of issues creating pressure with just a 3-4 man pass rush. The turnover is what is killer, they signed guys but either keep them in school or get them into school Maybe some fresh blood will be good and Phelps midwest roots can get some midwest boys to come and play in the cold. I was very pleased with this hire after losing coach Joe.

Phelps will also be judged on his ability to recruit. It would be nice to see some bigger guys in the 6'4 280 range ink with the cougs.Joe S is doing well with recruiting for the ducks, I would love to see the cougs trash the D line of the ducks.I am glad that Jack Thompson is still pushing for the cougs with Poly players. Somehow in all of this Joe S promised to watch over the players and keep them our of trouble?I guess better to let sleeping dogs lie and let time take care of it.

The loss of Sterling, Bartley, Tapa, and Fehoko hasn't helped. Toss in Pepua's and Toki's FTQ, and you have six bodies not on the roster. But at least this staff actually signed d-tackle prospects (almost as many high school line prospects as the previous staff signed in four years for the o-line, a failure that was defended ed nauseam for years).
Valid point above about Joe not being the only guy recruiting DLine. A washed out recruit is as good as no recruit at all though- so IMO recruiting of the DLine, particularly the interior DLine has been an obvious weakness of this staff over the past few years considering where this team is at today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT