ADVERTISEMENT

Players only meeting with Chun at 5:30.

Doesn't seem like a good sign on its surface, but...
5:00 today is the trigger - if he doesn't have a response by then, he's on unpaid leave until he gets one. The meeting might just be to tell them that his response hasn't been received, so he won't be here this week but we're still waiting.
Or, yes. It could be that his request was denied, or that his accommodation was.
We'll find out in 6 hours. If he's out, my guess is that Chun will tell him at 5:05 and the players at 5:30, and there will be a press release by 6...but it'll leak around the same time the players are being told.

He's gone. Player only meeting means he's gone. It is what it is in this state. You have to get the shot, if he was in California, he wouldn't have to get it. Just Oregon and Washington are requiring it, they are offering testing as an option.

We are going to lose some really good coaches over this.

Please think that this will save Wazzu image, it will in the press, but I feel Wazzu will have a very tough time attracting coaches over this.

WSU is really in a no win situation with this. And honestly, the recent winning just complicates matters.

They either approve his exemption and accommodate him and it will look like he sidestepped the mandate and got special treatment, or he'll be denied and fired, and it will look like WSU is forcing the vaccine on him. Either way, people are going to be pissed off and take it out on the WSU admin.

So strange to think about it. No other school is having to deal with this.

He's gone. Player only meeting means he's gone. It is what it is in this state. You have to get the shot, if he was in California, he wouldn't have to get it. Just Oregon and Washington are requiring it, they are offering testing as an option.

Please think that this will save Wazzu image, it will in the press, but I feel Wazzu will have a very tough time attracting coaches over this.

Could be, although they could spin it as the situation was out of their hands and the Governor forced their hand. It's not like WSU has a history of bagging coaches early. The kept Wulff probably 2 years more than anyone else would have. Heck, maybe even 3.

And I hate say this, because families are on the line here, meaning loss of wages, income, etc. But...how does this team react and perform "on the field" against BYU on Saturday?

Could be, although they could spin it as the situation was out of their hands and the Governor forced their hand. It's not like WSU has a history of bagging coaches early. The kept Wulff probably 2 years more than anyone else would have. Heck, maybe even 3.
How long was Wulff's tenure? Four years? If so, they kept him four years longer.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
And I hate say this, because families are on the line here, meaning loss of wages, income, etc. But...how does this team react and perform "on the field" against BYU on Saturday?
Poorly.

Also not being addressed are the what... 5, 6 coaches who apparently aren't vaccinated either? I'm assuming they are all gone as well. But who knows, nobody is talking.

He's either gone or is being placed on administrative leave. Either way, the players meeting is as much about coaching coverage for the week/season as it is to discuss Rolo. We're looking at being down 5-6 coaches for this weeks game.

Game preparation will likely be poor, but motivation will be sky high. I expect the kids to come out with their hair on fire.

Playing street ball is not all that hard to prepare for. Suspect the offense looks basically the same and the defense is unaffected.

Just hope that the BYU coach is as dumb as Shaw and he shuts down his offense to protect a 3 point lead with a 5 minute clock. If he is, then there is hope for a similar result.

Or, if the love of Rolo is as universal and strong as some suggest, they refuse to suit up ….
I don't see that happening. I'd bet that Rolo himself would advise them not to do that. The team is about the players, not the coaches, and this wasn't a WSU decision. I'm sure that's what Chun is going to talk with them about. Chun did not want to fire Rolo.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Game preparation will likely be poor, but motivation will be sky high. I expect the kids to come out with their hair on fire.
I think you are right. They will be fired up to win for their coach. Would sure help to have a GM type leader on that offense, though.

I don't see that happening. I'd bet that Rolo himself would advise them not to do that. The team is about the players, not the coaches, and this wasn't a WSU decision. I'm sure that's what Chun is going to talk with them about. Chun did not want to fire Rolo.
But Chun's replacement hire June Jones wanted Rolo out.

He's either gone or is being placed on administrative leave. Either way, the players meeting is as much about coaching coverage for the week/season as it is to discuss Rolo. We're looking at being down 5-6 coaches for this weeks game.
Yep. Some GA’s will have to step up. Bring in old has been coaches to help out .

Defense will be fine, offense will suffer but maybe JDL unscripted helps in a situation like this

I don't feel like that bodes well.
We will know in six hours and if he is here he got an exemption and if he is not then we move on . In March of 1995 the program exploited. Three of Prices best young recruits, Daryl James, a DT in the size of Leon and Gary played all of 95 cause Leon was at a cc. He would have been a helluva a player. Started 11 games . He transferred. Ricky Austin who was probably the highest recruited lineman of that era also got significant playing time as a freshman . He transferred. A Linebacker named Glover was a sub 4.5 guy who could run and played a lot as a freshman transferred . Everyone thought yhe program was toast. It survived. It survived Sweeney to Sherrill Sherrill to powers powers to Walden in consecutive years . It survived Wulff . Whatever happens the program will survive this

We will know in six hours and if he is here he got an exemption and if he is not then we move on . In March of 1995 the program exploited. Three of Prices best young recruits, Daryl James, a DT in the size of Leon and Gary played all of 95 cause Leon was at a cc. He would have been a helluva a player. Started 11 games . He transferred. Ricky Austin who was probably the highest recruited lineman of that era also got significant playing time as a freshman . He transferred. A Linebacker named Glover was a sub 4.5 guy who could run and played a lot as a freshman transferred . Everyone thought yhe program was toast. It survived. It survived Sweeney to Sherrill Sherrill to powers powers to Walden in consecutive years . It survived Wulff . Whatever happens the program will survive this

This is a wee bit different.

Those guys got into a fight that raged over campus in the middle of the afternoon.

WSU is really in a no win situation with this. And honestly, the recent winning just complicates matters.

They either approve his exemption and accommodate him and it will look like he sidestepped the mandate and got special treatment, or he'll be denied and fired, and it will look like WSU is forcing the vaccine on him. Either way, people are going to be pissed off and take it out on the WSU admin.

That is because no other school hired a brain dead anti vax moron

Reactions: sellas
This is a wee bit different.

Those guys got into a fight that raged over campus in the middle of the afternoon.

There is mumbles of players boycotting the game this week. Do I think they do it? Probably not, but this is not going to go down as well as the keyboard cowboys say it is. The fall out could be huge from this and now with the free transfer rule, I could see a lot of kids jumping ship.

Reactions: chipdouglas
Why? Most coaches are vaccinated. Vaccinated coaches aren't going to care about this one bit.

There are plenty of coaches not vaccinated. You are ignorant to think they are. You only see Pac-12 coaches, but there is a lot of coaches in the country who aren't and won't get it and will refuse to come to Washington over it.

Richardson is a great coach and he will probably be gone. He will go to the SEC or another school in a state that doesn't require a mandate and crush it. So, yes, there will be fall out from this with really good coaches.

UW, EWU and CWU are. Not sure about the private D3 schools.

There is mumbles of players boycotting the game this week. Do I think they do it? Probably not, but this is not going to go down as well as the keyboard cowboys say it is. The fall out could be huge from this and now with the free transfer rule, I could see a lot of kids jumping ship.

I fear that this will be the beginning of a KSU or OSU futility streak.

Reactions: chipdouglas

Nope. Job pays $3,000,000. Guys would take an injection of bleach for $3,000,000 and a coaching job at a P5 school.

Maybe . I think it would be a mistake but it will give those who don’t play very often some playing time . Their protest will make no difference. None. And if I was Abe Lucas , Ryan , Borghi, etc they missed all of 2020 and now missing games to protest. If they walk what keeps the AD from saying pack up your bags?

Nope. Job pays $3,000,000. Guys would take an injection of bleach for $3,000,000 and a coaching job at a P5 school.
They like me would have Rafael Palmero inject an performance enhancing steroid once with Alex Rodriguez watching to make 3 mil. There is only one head coach who did not choose to get jabbed.

Maybe . I think it would be a mistake but it will give those who don’t play very often some playing time . Their protest will make no difference. None. And if I was Abe Lucas , Ryan , Borghi, etc they missed all of 2020 and now missing games to protest. If they walk what keeps the AD from saying pack up your bags?
I’d like to think that Chun would have more compassion towards a bunch of kids that were thrust into a shit situation by no making of their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT