ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl game thread. dogs vs. THE OSU

Someone ought to unseat us. If they’re better, I mean.
This is just my jagoff POV and I know you won't believe it, but I believe UW would have lost to ISU as well.

I thought WSU would have beaten tOSU but they were pretty revved up for Urban's last game. I still think we would have had a better showing than letting tOSU start packing the car in the 3rd quarter.

The AC is dependably Chris Peterson's biggest game. No doubt he exploits our talent and scheme gaps, but we always see new wrinkles and trick plays like it's a must-win. By contrast, bowls are total duds, with him nearly getting blanked.

This is just my jagoff POV and I know you won't believe it, but I believe UW would have lost to ISU as well.

I thought WSU would have beaten tOSU but they were pretty revved up for Urban's last game. I still think we would have had a better showing than letting tOSU start packing the car in the 3rd quarter.

The AC is dependably Chris Peterson's biggest game. No doubt he exploits our talent and scheme gaps, but we always see new wrinkles and trick plays like it's a must-win. By contrast, bowls are total duds, with him nearly getting blanked.
Buckeyes beat us the same way USC beat us, by beating up on our corners. No way we cover those guys well enough to win. Glad to see Claeys recruiting to this

Buckeyes beat us the same way USC beat us, by beating up on our corners. No way we cover those guys well enough to win. Glad to see Claeys recruiting to this

Maybe. But I don't think WSU gets run out of the building in the first half.

Random - who is "us"? Your head all upside down because of your location? Or did you mean Buckeyes beat uw?

Heh, I'm saying we'd lose to them too, because we'd be outmanned against their receivers and potentially their offensive line. I do think we could've scored more on them when it mattered. I also agree that UW would have its hands full with Iowa St

After all Ellensburg is the Mecca if nw college football .

Was the rematch in Ellensburg?

Ellensburg is a much better location for an in state rivalry game than Muttlake/Pullman.

Putting the game on the extreme far side of the state one year and on the extreme far side of the state the next in the dead of winter is basically a dissertation in stupidity in logistics.

To illustrate how absolutely stupid it is.

Here is the distance between schools in the other rivalry games in the Pac -12

Corvallis/Eugene 47.4 miles
Berkley/Palo Alto - 44.6 miles
UCLA/USC - 13.6 miles
Arizona/ASU - 108.5 miles
(Total miles between all schools above 214.10 miles)

Muttlake/Pullman - 286.2 miles

CU/Colorado State - 78.5 miles
Utah/BYU - 49.9 miles

To think that two in state schools 286 miles apart should have a home and home rivalry game is beyond stupid.

Nobody else does that.

Florida/Florida State - 154 miles
Texas / Texas A&M - 106 miles
Texas / Oklahoma - 375 miles game played 195miles (Neutal site)
OSU / Michigan - 190 miles
Lansing/Ann Arbor (Michigan/Michigan state) - 65 Miles

Yet somehow.... somehow.... 286 miles apart rivalry in the dead of winter is the “sane idea”

And the
Pullman to Ellensburg (179 miles)
Muttlake to Ellensburg (108 miles)

Neutral site is some “crazy” idea?

The only thing crazy is the fact that idiots keep thinking 286 miles home and home is “the right way” to do it. It’s never been the right way. It’s insanity, incompetency, and idiocy.

Ellensburg is a much better location for an in state rivalry game than Muttlake/Pullman.

Putting the game on the extreme far side of the state one year and on the extreme far side of the state the next in the dead of winter is basically a dissertation in stupidity in logistics.

UCLA/USC - 13.6 miles

Utah/BYU - 49.9 miles

To think that two in state schools 286 miles apart should have a home and home rivalry game is beyond stupid.

Nobody else does that.

Yet somehow.... somehow.... 286 miles apart rivalry in the dead of winter is the “sane idea”

And the

The only thing crazy is the fact that idiots keep thinking 286 miles home and home is “the right way” to do it. It’s never been the right way. It’s insanity, incompetency, and idiocy.
Oh dude. This is like Biggs arguing that Martin should be 65K capacity, yesterday.

I get your point and the rivalry miles vs. distance is intriguing. But the problem is ELLENSBURG. Even if you get all the boosters OK with this. You get the administrations OK with this. You get the programs OK with this. Ellensburg would need to put in Millions and Millions and Millions of dollars into 1. Building a Stadium worthy of this rivalry needs. EDIT: That would most likely be the only use for it, btw. 2. Infrastructure. You think it's hard to get a hotel in Pullman?!

Sorry dude. That just isn't going to happen. For all the "Neutral site" rivalry games you can come up with, the town they go to has the venue that is worthy, the town that is large enough. I get it but I don't. Lost cause.

Oh but you forgot the natural rivalry
Salt Lake City to Boulder 512 miles

You mean the one that is basically made up because they both just joined the conference and hadn’t played each other than 1962? Yeah I left that one out.

Reactions: kougkurt
Oh dude. This is like Biggs arguing that Martin should be 65K capacity, yesterday.

I get your point and the rivalry miles vs. distance is intriguing. But the problem is ELLENSBURG. Even if you get all the boosters OK with this. You get the administrations OK with this. You get the programs OK with this. Ellensburg would need to put in Millions and Millions and Millions of dollars into 1. Building a Stadium worthy of this rivalry needs. 2. Infrastructure. You think it's hard to get a hotel in Pullman?!

Sorry dude. That just isn't going to happen. For all the "Neutral site" rivalry games you can come up with, the town they go to has the venue that is worthy, the town that is large enough. I get it but I don't. Lost cause.

Yes millions and millions invested centrally into the State is GOOD for the state.

That money pumping in can then bleed its way east south and west which is good for everybody, and the state.

Ellensburg should be a significant hub for the state because it is the most centrally located city, the fact that it was never really developed is a very significant missed opportunity and one we all can benefit from.

Logistically there is plenty of room to build everything needed to make it a serious hub in the PNW.

If Bowers was turned into a major airport hub for the state it would alleviate pressure on Sea-Tac
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_Airport

It’s a 1000 acre airfield that is way under utilized. Sea Tac is 2500 acres that’ll give you an idea... Little tiny Ellensburg is sitting in the middle of the state with an air field half the size of Sea-Tac with the population 1/60th the size.

Ellensburg is the biggest untapped opportunity in the state.

Here is a city.... that is the most centrally located municipality in its state.

That sits at the intersection of...

two interstates (the 90 and 82)
State routes 10 & 821
And US route 97 that goes all the way to the Canadian border and Oregon

With a 1,000 acre airfield

With just a population of 18k?

It is a tremendous opportunity and a quintessential example of an untapped and under developed location.

It has all the ingredients to be a success.

Transport major highways and an airfield with room to expand
Excellent landscape
Water source (Yakima River)

All it needs is investment and development and a purpose.

Give the town a purpose to bring people to it and the investment and development and it will thrive, and honesty with its location it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it turns into one of the fastest growing cities in the state givens its location.

Yes millions and millions invested centrally into the State is GOOD for the state.

That money pumping in can then bleed its way east south and west which is good for everybody, and the state.

Ellensburg should be a significant hub for the state because it is the most centrally located city, the fact that it was never really developed is a very significant missed opportunity and one we all can benefit from.

Logistically there is plenty of room to build everything needed to make it a serious hub in the PNW.

If Bowers was turned into a major airport hub for the state it would alleviate pressure on Sea-Tac

It’s a 1000 acre airfield that is way under utilized. Sea Tac is 2500 acres that’ll give you an idea... Little tiny Ellensburg is sitting in the middle of the state with an air field half the size of Sea-Tac with the population 1/60th the size.

Here is a city.... that is the most centrally located municipality in its state.

State routes 10 & 821

It is a tremendous opportunity and a quintessential example of an untapped and under developed location.

Excellent landscape

Give the town a purpose to bring people to it and the investment and development and it will thrive, and honesty with its location it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it turns into one of the fastest growing cities in the state givens its location.
Ok man. Whatever. Your dream but it's so convoluted in so many ways, I can't even comment on this in a concise way.

State routes 10 & 821

Excellent landscape

I thought you were joking about Ellensburg. I actually think you may be serious now.

It’s better to stay quiet and have people wonder if you’re a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I thought you were joking about Ellensburg. I actually think you may be serious now.

It’s better to stay quiet and have people wonder if you’re a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I am serious about it (but also having fun).

Progress was never made by the silent. History is made and favored by the bold.

Ok man. Whatever. Your dream but it's so convoluted in so many ways, I can't even comment on this in a concise way.

I don't converse directly with hateful people who I hope will die soon so I can be glad. That said, if there was ever going to be a Washington airport that had the potential to be a major player it would be the Grant County Airport (in Moses Hole - oops I mean Lake).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_County_International_Airport

"With 4,650 acres (7.3 sq mi; 18.8 km2) and a 13,500-foot (4,110 m) main runway, it is one of the largest airports in the United States."

I don't converse directly with hateful people who I hope will die soon so I can be glad. That said, if there was ever going to be a Washington airport that had the potential to be a major player it would be the Grant County Airport (in Moses Hole - oops I mean Lake).

"With 4,650 acres (7.3 sq mi; 18.8 km2) and a 13,500-foot (4,110 m) main runway, it is one of the largest airports in the United States."
It’s the back up to the back up for the space shuttle

Yeah, I had a response that I deleted with all of this in it. The length of Moses Lake North runway is longer than SeaTac, by a long shot. It's the Big Bend Community College commercial flight school program. FAA authorized. Massive planes are flying there, always. they have a fleet of 26 ( I think) planes. EDIT: they'll fly around a little, do a touch and go, fly around a little, go back and land. etc etc. There are these massive planes flying circles around Moses Lake. It's the funniest thing.

You have to get to the big stage to win on the big stage. We've been on the big stage three straight years and we were substantially less talented than Alabama and Penn State. This year was more disappointing because we weren't less talented. I think we beat ISU or WSU on December 28 by more than two scores.

As for the AC, the chief "wrinkle" in beating the Cougs is to run early and often.

Last edited:

Short day trip to the Palm Springs of Washington.

UCLA/USC - 13.6 miles

Utah/BYU - 49.9 miles

Nobody else does that.

And the

I have never once heard UW upset about a home and home series. I have heard them bitch about starting times, but never about location.

Reactions: HHusky
Yeah, I had a response that I deleted with all of this in it. The length of Moses Lake North runway is longer than SeaTac, by a long shot. It's the Big Bend Community College commercial flight school program. FAA authorized. Massive planes are flying there, always. they have a fleet of 26 ( I think) planes. EDIT: they'll fly around a little, do a touch and go, fly around a little, go back and land. etc etc. There are these massive planes flying circles around Moses Lake. It's the funniest thing.

Formerly known as Larson AFB, which closed down in the late 60s, early 70s. Japan Airlines used to train their pilots there. I think Southwest uses it now.

You have to get to the big stage to win on the big stage. We've been on the big stage three straight years and we were substantially less talented than Alabama and Penn State. This year was more disappointing because we weren't less talented. I think we beat ISU or WSU on December 28 by more than two scores.

As for the AC, the chief "wrinkle" in beating the Cougs is to run early and often.

Actually, it's been for uw to control the LOS with three pass rushers.

Ha! The rest of the country marvels at the "Bow Down to Washington" line the way a parent marvels at a kiddy fiddler ("sick f---s"). Is there an off switch to the hubris?

But maybe you're right: that positively electric performance you turned in at the Rose Bowl makes me feel lucky we only lost by 2 TDs on the Vietnamese rice paddy we played the AC on.

PS the trick plays I'm talking about don't fall into the category of "run early and often."

Which, of course, is why you are here, days after the game, repeatedly arguing about how close the game was.
The post you quoted was made immediately after the game.

Today I'm just arguing how much better we are than you are.

State routes 10 & 821

Excellent landscape

Here is a better idea...move the campus to Chelan. You get the tourist dollars in the summer, it is more centrally located, and it is on the lake.

Reactions: kougkurt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT