ADVERTISEMENT

Seattle is dead

I hear ya. I do know that some distributors have certain brands readily available, and other brands...not so.
I do think the Tri-Cities is blowing up, like the rest of Eastern Washington. Lot of people are moving in, and they can't keep up with the demand.

It's crazy to drive a rental car for a couple of months, and then pay your responsibility of the bill to Enterprise. Not necessarily fair. Depends on your insurance contract, but some only cover so much a day. The rest is on you. Crazy.
Well it is not. No flaming, bring something to the table. Flunk on both counts. Keep it PG 13? ok.
I hear ya. I do know that some distributors have certain brands readily available, and other brands...not so.
I do think the Tri-Cities is blowing up, like the rest of Eastern Washington. Lot of people are moving in, and they can't keep up with the demand.

It's crazy to drive a rental car for a couple of months, and then pay your responsibility of the bill to Enterprise. Not necessarily fair. Depends on your insurance contract, but some only cover so much a day. The rest is on you. Crazy.

Tri-cities has actually leveled off a bit. It boomed during Covid with the extra dollars that got pumped in, but demand has softened slightly and vacancies are up. Closer to 93-95% occupancy than the 98-99 we were at. Housing inventory is still pretty tight, and still basically nothing under $350-400K (and the house I sold for $212k in 2017 is now in the low 400s). A couple years ago, houses could be on the market for hours, now they can last a couple weeks.

Tri-cities has actually leveled off a bit. It boomed during Covid with the extra dollars that got pumped in, but demand has softened slightly and vacancies are up. Closer to 93-95% occupancy than the 98-99 we were at. Housing inventory is still pretty tight, and still basically nothing under $350-400K (and the house I sold for $212k in 2017 is now in the low 400s). A couple years ago, houses could be on the market for hours, now they can last a couple weeks.
My bad. Should rephrase this. With rates up, some buyers' and sellers are on the sidelines. That said, with a ton of new people that have arrived in recent years, there's probably more demand on services, like body shops.

My bad. Should rephrase this. With rates up, some buyers' and sellers are on the sidelines. That said, with a ton of new people that have arrived in recent years, there's probably more demand on services, like body shops.
Lines are longer for most services. Haven’t been to body shops, but a coworker said today that she dropped off her car at a shop and they told her they probably won’t even look at it for 5-6 days.

I’m not really sure what to think with food service, because a lot of places seem a bit understaffed, but there’s been a proliferation of places. Total number of employees probably hasn’t fallen, they’re just more spread out now.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Not sure if you read the article?

Most are leaving to Maricopa County, (Phoenix area). Some are going to Spokane. I sell residential real estate, and for the most part, it's true. I've had several clients sell and leave for Wenatchee, Coeur d'Alene, and South Carolina. About a third want to bolt King County mainly for two main reasons:

1. Liberal state.
2. We are now Manhattan and San Francisco.

Over 800,000 people have moved here recently, because of the tech industry. It's impossible for a young person to rent an apartment at $20 an hour. You need to live at home, or have 2 other roommates. Therefore, there's a shortage of entry level workers, everywhere.

Also, if you need body work done on your car, you're in for a huge surprise. Unless you take your car to Yakima, Ellesnsburg, or Spokane.....it takes, (and I'm referring to almost all body shops), it takes one month to get an initial appointment, just to have a guy write you an estimate. Then, it's another 60 days to get the on their calendar to start the job. Then, it takes 3 weeks to repair the damage, (quarter panel, bumper and paint). You're in a rental car for 3 weeks.

In the old days....it was 7-10 days, max. It's becuase of the tech industry has brought so many people to King County. Again, we are New York City and San Francisco, in terms of cost of living, and overhead.

They can't hire people for $20 bucks an hour, and the Insurance companies won't pay a shop rate at $85 an hour, (which are wages at $30 to $35 an hour). They will only pay a shop $65 an hour rate.

Light industrial in Bellevue is scarce. They didn't plan on the extra one million people who would have needs like car repairs, etc. It's the same light industrial as it was 50 years ago. Actually, it's less today, because of the Light Rail, Facebook, Google and Microsoft demolished some of the light industrial for the new Spring District in Bellevue.

Biggest employer's are Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Facebook. Hundreds of smaller tech companies.
Other employers: Disney, Apple, Netflix, Uber, Space X, Tesla, Blue Origin, Boeing, Oracle, Starbucks, and the legal and medical industry, etc.
Seattle, Austin, and the Bay Area leads the nation in high paying jobs.

Another example. Taco Time for 3 people, is $37.00. Five Guys hamburgers for 3 people is $57.00. A Lube Oil & Filter change at Jiffy Lube is now $80.00 (without the coupon).

Someone told me McDonald's is expensive, too.

Speaking of fast food, Taco Time's starting wage is $23.00 an hour. Burger King is closing most locations because they have a hard time hiring people, and going to a Burger King is like going over to your poor cousin’s house. The screen door held together by duct tape. It’s just a bit “off.”

Keep in mind, the last time I went to a Burger King was 15 years ago. You go into a Red Robin, and there are two servers for the entire restaurant! Again, you can't rent an apartment for these wages. You have to commute from Auburn, Federal Way, Fife, or Tacoma.

Your entry level home in Auburn, Kent, Covington, Federal Way, Fife or Tacoma is $600,000. Your commute to Bellevue or Seattle is brutal, unless you're near the Sounder Train and work in downtown Seattle, or work hybrid from home.

Cost of living is high, especially for folks on a fixed income, or retired.

For us, our short list is Arizona, Florida, or South Carolina. Would consider Texas, but the property taxes in Texas are considerably high.
Outstanding post! Lots of good information here, thank you. I don't know if there is going to end up being a huge collapse or explosion or something in our economy, but things are getting way out of whack. I worked hard to get myself through college and then into a house (big time fixer upper to start with), but it sure is tougher for the younger people now. Seems like it will be hard for them to remain optimistic about their future.

I retired in 2012 and moved from Maple Valley to just north of Coeur d'Alene. We were sick and tired of life in King County and have enjoyed life here in north Idaho.

A couple months ago I had dinner at a 5 Guys in Mt Vernon. Single cheeseburger, fries, milk shake, tax, and generous tip (probably about $5) and I was out $30 for that meal. I sure never thought a burger meal would be that much! BTW, 5 Guys IS the best burger joint around, no doubt about it. For those older folks among us, they might even be a tad bit better than the long gone Flakey Jake's chain. Now waiting for a 5 Guys to come here to Idaho, since the nearest one is over in Spokane.

Outstanding post! Lots of good information here, thank you. I don't know if there is going to end up being a huge collapse or explosion or something in our economy, but things are getting way out of whack. I worked hard to get myself through college and then into a house (big time fixer upper to start with), but it sure is tougher for the younger people now. Seems like it will be hard for them to remain optimistic about their future.

I retired in 2012 and moved from Maple Valley to just north of Coeur d'Alene. We were sick and tired of life in King County and have enjoyed life here in north Idaho.

A couple months ago I had dinner at a 5 Guys in Mt Vernon. Single cheeseburger, fries, milk shake, tax, and generous tip (probably about $5) and I was out $30 for that meal. I sure never thought a burger meal would be that much! BTW, 5 Guys IS the best burger joint around, no doubt about it. For those older folks among us, they might even be a tad bit better than the long gone Flakey Jake's chain. Now waiting for a 5 Guys to come here to Idaho, since the nearest one is over in Spokane.
Hudson’s is the best burger joint around and if you disagree, please rescind your Kootenai County resident card.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Not sure if you read the article?

Most are leaving to Maricopa County, (Phoenix area). Some are going to Spokane. I sell residential real estate, and for the most part, it's true. I've had several clients sell and leave for Wenatchee, Coeur d'Alene, and South Carolina. About a third want to bolt King County mainly for two main reasons:

1. Liberal state.
2. We are now Manhattan and San Francisco.

Over 800,000 people have moved here recently, because of the tech industry. It's impossible for a young person to rent an apartment at $20 an hour. You need to live at home, or have 2 other roommates. Therefore, there's a shortage of entry level workers, everywhere.

Also, if you need body work done on your car, you're in for a huge surprise. Unless you take your car to Yakima, Ellesnsburg, or Spokane.....it takes, (and I'm referring to almost all body shops), it takes one month to get an initial appointment, just to have a guy write you an estimate. Then, it's another 60 days to get the on their calendar to start the job. Then, it takes 3 weeks to repair the damage, (quarter panel, bumper and paint). You're in a rental car for 3 weeks.

In the old days....it was 7-10 days, max. It's becuase of the tech industry has brought so many people to King County. Again, we are New York City and San Francisco, in terms of cost of living, and overhead.

They can't hire people for $20 bucks an hour, and the Insurance companies won't pay a shop rate at $85 an hour, (which are wages at $30 to $35 an hour). They will only pay a shop $65 an hour rate.

Light industrial in Bellevue is scarce. They didn't plan on the extra one million people who would have needs like car repairs, etc. It's the same light industrial as it was 50 years ago. Actually, it's less today, because of the Light Rail, Facebook, Google and Microsoft demolished some of the light industrial for the new Spring District in Bellevue.

Biggest employer's are Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Facebook. Hundreds of smaller tech companies.
Other employers: Disney, Apple, Netflix, Uber, Space X, Tesla, Blue Origin, Boeing, Oracle, Starbucks, and the legal and medical industry, etc.
Seattle, Austin, and the Bay Area leads the nation in high paying jobs.

Another example. Taco Time for 3 people, is $37.00. Five Guys hamburgers for 3 people is $57.00. A Lube Oil & Filter change at Jiffy Lube is now $80.00 (without the coupon).

Someone told me McDonald's is expensive, too.

Speaking of fast food, Taco Time's starting wage is $23.00 an hour. Burger King is closing most locations because they have a hard time hiring people, and going to a Burger King is like going over to your poor cousin’s house. The screen door held together by duct tape. It’s just a bit “off.”

Keep in mind, the last time I went to a Burger King was 15 years ago. You go into a Red Robin, and there are two servers for the entire restaurant! Again, you can't rent an apartment for these wages. You have to commute from Auburn, Federal Way, Fife, or Tacoma.

Your entry level home in Auburn, Kent, Covington, Federal Way, Fife or Tacoma is $600,000. Your commute to Bellevue or Seattle is brutal, unless you're near the Sounder Train and work in downtown Seattle, or work hybrid from home.

Cost of living is high, especially for folks on a fixed income, or retired.

For us, our short list is Arizona, Florida, or South Carolina. Would consider Texas, but the property taxes in Texas are considerably high.

I have a relative in South Carolina and was just there last week.

I think it is a great place. Friendly people, affordable. but people are definitely moving there. Especially from Florida because the mass influx of people to Florida are pushing people out

Also, I read an article a while back by an economist and he said one of the best ways to judge inflation was by the price of a Big Mac and had a compelling argument.

I had a Big Mac, which should be called a Small Mac now, with fries and a drink last year when I was in the states and it was north of $10

Hudson’s is the best burger joint around and if you disagree, please rescind your Kootenai County resident card.
Any burger joint that doesn't allow you to have it just how you want it, that doesn't have fries, and does not have sweet hamburger relish available is automatically disqualified from any "Best Burger" list!!! So there.

Because of that, it has now been 11 years and I still haven't been there.

Also, I read an article a while back by an economist and he said one of the best ways to judge inflation was by the price of a Big Mac and had a compelling argument.

I had a Big Mac, which should be called a Small Mac now, with fries and a drink last year when I was in the states and it was north of $10
Call it Le Small Mac? (obscure Pulp Fiction reference)

• Haha
Reactions: spongeandshoot
I never thought flakey jakes was that good either.
Are you serious? Having your good meat sized and cooked to doneness per request, with a large selection of condiments was not good? And very good salad bar if you wanted it? What's not to like about that? Most definitely better than Red Robin and the like. Kidd Valley was better than all the large chain joints years ago, but it has likely been 20 years since I had one.

Since we are on the subject, two places that long, long ago were very good were Miner's in Yakima and Big John's in Ellensburg. ANd it was definitely a requirement to have a real ice cream milk shake at Big John's. Very tasty!

Are you serious? Having your good meat sized and cooked to doneness per request, with a large selection of condiments was not good? And very good salad bar if you wanted it? What's not to like about that? Most definitely better than Red Robin and the like. Kidd Valley was better than all the large chain joints years ago, but it has likely been 20 years since I had one.

Since we are on the subject, two places that long, long ago were very good were Miner's in Yakima and Big John's in Ellensburg. ANd it was definitely a requirement to have a real ice cream milk shake at Big John's. Very tasty!
Paid $20+ for a burger and fries at Miners a few years ago, definitely not the same burger I remember from high school. And def not a $25/ person experience.

Miner's is still here in YakiVegas and popular. I don't go there though, can't eat that heart attack shit.

Supply and DEmand...isn't that capitalism at its best?

Paid $20+ for a burger and fries at Miners a few years ago, definitely not the same burger I remember from high school. And def not a $25/ person experience.
Been a couple years since I was there, but Miners wasn’t what it used to be. I think the burgers are a little smaller, definitely not as good. And their shakes now are pre-made and industrial, at least in the popular flavors. I think the kids (actually the grandkids) took over and started cutting corners.

Any burger joint that doesn't allow you to have it just how you want it, that doesn't have fries, and does not have sweet hamburger relish available is automatically disqualified from any "Best Burger" list!!! So there.

Because of that, it has now been 11 years and I still haven't been there.
I heard a lot of hype about Hudson’s. Just went there for the first time a couple months ago. It was good, but I’ve had better burgers, it’s not all that. It’s a decent value for a real burger considering how overpriced everything is now but it’s no better than frugals or 5 Guys for me.

If Hood was still the Board manager I'm pretty sure 90% of us would be banned.

Not that we would want to see anyone sent to the Gulag, but it doesn't look like Mr. Hood is coming back from his hiatus anytime soon (according to the guy from Rivals.com management who pops in from time to time).

Hope he makes it back eventually. He did a heck of a job covering the team and recruiting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT