ADVERTISEMENT

So Hobert's boy committed

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
That's interesting, and could make for some fun Thanksgivings in that house in the future :) Welcome aboard!

Reactions: CougEd
Gets a meh from me. Seems like the kind of under the radar kid Leach loves bringing every year to play in the slot. Bartolone, Cracraft, Sweet, Andre, Bell, Harris, Pospisil and now Hobert. None of these guys received a ton of P5 attention (except for maybe Andre and Harris) but are on the all small side and have mostly contributed.

Unfortunately, I worry about his dad hanging around the program. It's worth noting Adam James was a similar profile player to Joey Hobert as well.

It will be interesting to see what kind of player he turns out to be. I wonder how mutt fans feel about it.

I'm guessing the less they hear the Hobert name associated with UW the happier they are. It's not like Papa Camero is an honored alum.

I would love to see him catch the winning TD in the Apple Cup. The uw fandon would go all whine and cheese.

Last edited:
I would be happy with another under the radar, suburban Orange County WR from an average league. The last one did pretty well until his injuries took him off the field.

Reactions: random soul
Gets a meh from me. Seems like the kind of under the radar kid Leach loves bringing every year to play in the slot. Bartolone, Cracraft, Sweet, Andre, Bell, Harris, Pospisil and now Hobert. None of these guys received a ton of P5 attention (except for maybe Andre and Harris) but are on the all small side and have mostly contributed.

Unfortunately, I worry about his dad hanging around the program. It's worth noting Adam James was a similar profile player to Joey Hobert as well.
So far, there has been a big difference. James has continued to be a duech bag throughout his life. Hobart has stayed out of trouble. James was a bad person through and through. Hobart got caught up in the corruption that was the culture of the uw under Don James.

Not under the radar at all. Top athlete at the Under Armor camp in Southern California. This was a good get.

https://247sports.com/Article/Three...akes-his-mark-at-Under-Armour-Camp-129721412/

Could be a good get, but the only other offer he had resembling a P5 offer was BYU. So he's kinda off the radar for a P5 recruit. Should he blow up this summer/fall I think it will be more difficult to keep him committed than if he had gotten some of those offers earlier.

Too early in the process to get a read on whether or not he's the kind of kid who likes being recruited or is someone who wants to find the right fit and shut down the process.

Not under the radar at all. Top athlete at the Under Armor camp in Southern California. This was a good get.

https://247sports.com/Article/Three...akes-his-mark-at-Under-Armour-Camp-129721412/

Could be a good get, but the only other offer he had resembling a P5 offer was BYU. So he's kinda off the radar for a P5 recruit. Should he blow up this summer/fall I think it will be more difficult to keep him committed than if he had gotten some of those offers earlier.

Too early in the process to get a read on whether or not he's the kind of kid who likes being recruited or is someone who wants to find the right fit and shut down the process.
After all these years, you still doubt Coach Leach and the staff's ability to evaluate players?

After all these years, you still doubt Coach Leach and the staff's ability to evaluate players?

Interesting take considering my comments. Apparently lumping him in with guys like River Cracraft, Renard Bell, and Travell Harris shows doubt in the staffs ability to evaluate? More concerned about the kids family.

Interesting take considering my comments. Apparently lumping him in with guys like River Cracraft, Renard Bell, and Travell Harris shows doubt in the staffs ability to evaluate? More concerned about the kids family.
Have you seen his sisters?

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Well, your "Gets a meh from me." and your "Could be a good get, but the only other offer he had resembling a P5 offer was BYU." and the "Too early in the process to get a read on whether or not he's the kind of kid who likes being recruited or is someone who wants to find the right fit and shut down the process." are not exactly positive words.

Frankly, I am not at all concerned about his family. What Billy Joe did was a long long time ago. Some people do grow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: taf88
Well, your "Gets a meh from me." and your "Could be a good get, but the only other offer he had resembling a P5 offer was BYU." and the "Too early in the process to get a read on whether or not he's the kind of kid who likes being recruited or is someone who wants to find the right fit and shut down the process." are not exactly positive words.

Frankly, I am not at all concerned about his family. What Billy Joe did was a long long time ago. Some people do grow up.

My muted reaction stems from the fact he doesn't possess a single skill which strikes me as special (by P5 standards). He does fit the basic archetype of undersized slot receiver who is productive in the air raid. If he had the size of Rodrick Fisher, Tay Martin, Dez Patmon, or Kassidy Woods I'd be a lot more excited.

My muted reaction stems from the fact he doesn't possess a single skill which strikes me as special (by P5 standards). He does fit the basic archetype of undersized slot receiver who is productive in the air raid. If he had the size of Rodrick Fisher, Tay Martin, Dez Patmon, or Kassidy Woods I'd be a lot more excited.
So, you believe the Cougars offered him knowing he doesn't have a single P5 skill? Or, maybe he has skill and your evaluation skill is not as good as Leach and his staff.

There is a reason why those "archtype" receivers do well, they have skill.

He high jumps 5-8

Looks like Hobert competed in the high jump once in a high school dual meet, hence a 5-8. He was a sprinter with a 100 meter best of 11.2 - certainly not blazing but faster than about half our receiver corp from last year.

By the way, he might not have the measurables with regards to size and speed but from his film I would say that his skill set is really impressive. By skill set I'm referring to route running, catching ability, ball tracking etc.

Reactions: taf88
Looks like Hobert competed in the high jump once in a high school dual meet, hence a 5-8. He was a sprinter with a 100 meter best of 11.2 - certainly not blazing but faster than about half our receiver corp from last year.

By the way, he might not have the measurables with regards to size and speed but from his film I would say that his skill set is really impressive. By skill set I'm referring to route running, catching ability, ball tracking etc.
Thought it was a misprint since it was responding to the "doesn't possess a single skill which strikes me as special". Jumping 5-8 in the HJ isn't exactly special.

I'm not an expert but I really liked his skill set as well. He looks like one of those players where the measurable might say he shouldn't do much who ends up a go to guy.

Last edited:
I would love to see film of Wes Welker in HS to compare.

That position is tough to evaluate based on numbers because being aware and aware of space, where to cut off a route, when to bend it a smidge. Bartilone wasn’t all that physically talented but he was very important reason why we won the Apple cup because he knew how to run routes that made the offense go

Thought it was a misprint since it was responding to the "doesn't possess a single skill which strikes me as special". Jumping 5-8 in the HJ isn't exactly special.

I'm not an expert but I really liked his skill set as well. He looks like one of those players where the measurable say he shouldn't do much who ends up a go to guy.
Sarcasm

Somebody who runs inside WR in the Air Raid has guts. He has to catch what he can reach and take a hit. Sure, if he runs a 4.3 or is 6'6" it is great. But those are key things for an outside WR. An inside WR has to make sharp cuts, work screens, have eyes in the back of his head and hold the ball once it gets to him. This kid appears to be a good candidate for all of that. End of story, IMHO.

This kid can't hold a candle to Mike Vandenkolk, who some here predicted would be the next Mike Levenseller.

Who ever said that turned out to be wrong .

Just like someone could be wrong about Hobert or others who have left and never played .

Regarding Levy I wish I saw him play. Couldn’t tell you much about his game as a player, but will say he was a fantastic receivers coach .

90...what do you believe Leach's "hit" rate is on the receiving group? Do you think if he brought in 20 kids, 10 actually panned out? Do you think it is more, less?

I have more faith in him bringing in a lightly recruited guy at that position than anyone in the country and that kid being successful, but for someone to think it could be a stretch (if that is what etown even thinks) for that kid to play Pac 12 football, I am not sure I would be overly critical of that thought process by etown. What Leach does better than anyone we have ever had is that he doesn't let him mistakes in recruiting cripple the program. If for whatever reason the kid doesn't pan out, the kid isn't taking up a valuable scholie for 5 years.

90...what do you believe Leach's "hit" rate is on the receiving group? Do you think if he brought in 20 kids, 10 actually panned out? Do you think it is more, less?

I have more faith in him bringing in a lightly recruited guy at that position than anyone in the country and that kid being successful, but for someone to think it could be a stretch (if that is what etown even thinks) for that kid to play Pac 12 football, I am not sure I would be overly critical of that thought process by etown. What Leach does better than anyone we have ever had is that he doesn't let him mistakes in recruiting cripple the program. If for whatever reason the kid doesn't pan out, the kid isn't taking up a valuable scholie for 5 years.
All teams, this includes Alabama and Clemson, have players that do not pan out. So, I think your question is not right. Coach Leach has a long long history of having good to great receivers. No, not all of them will work out. No teams receivers do. But, Coach Leach has not had many flat out misses with receivers during his time in Pullman.

The current receiver corps is one of the deepest that we have seen in Pullman. Not many of them were super highly recruited. That Coach Leach believes that Hobart has what it takes means something. It doesn't mean that Hobart will pan out. But, I wouldn't bet against him or Leach's evaluation either.

All teams, this includes Alabama and Clemson, have players that do not pan out. So, I think your question is not right. Coach Leach has a long long history of having good to great receivers. No, not all of them will work out. No teams receivers do. But, Coach Leach has not had many flat out misses with receivers during his time in Pullman.

The current receiver corps is one of the deepest that we have seen in Pullman. Not many of them were super highly recruited. That Coach Leach believes that Hobart has what it takes means something. It doesn't mean that Hobart will pan out. But, I wouldn't bet against him or Leach's evaluation either.

Yep everyone misses. Would it surprise you if I said he hits on 50% of the receivers he recruits ? Like I said I have as much confidence in Leach recruiting an under the radar guy at the slot position than anyone in the country. But I don’t hold it against someone who wonders if it is a miss.

Yep everyone misses. Would it surprise you if I said he hits on 50% of the receivers he recruits ? Like I said I have as much confidence in Leach recruiting an under the radar guy at the slot position than anyone in the country. But I don’t hold it against someone who wonders if it is a miss.

Ed, lets say your right(I believe the hit rate for Leach Receivers is between 50 to 75%, not 50%, or else WR corp would not be Deepest in Pac 12.(3 WR a year X 7 years = 21 WR. If only 10 pan out, 10 divided by 7 years(Leach Tenure), is about 1.5 WR per year that pan out. Thats only enough to field a GOOD panned out, 3,4 deep WR corp about 3 out of the 7 years.)that Leach misses on half.

Since half, there are 2 ways to look at that.

Glass Half Empty

Glass Half Full.

It seems like that the reason why you say Leach misses on half is to be a Glass Half Empty:

"Yeah Leach is great BUT BUT BUT BUT he Leach misses on half his WR" Glass Half Empty Naysaying Leach like type comment.

The reason why that typed of comment coming from you is not liked here:

1. Its not likely true. If it was true, WR corp wouldnt be as deep, good.(Not saying Leach doesnt ever miss, he does miss, but not as much as 50%. A 25% to 33% miss rate is probably what his miss rate or close to it)

2. Even if its not your intention it comes off like your naysaying, downplaying, being glass half empty, even if that were to not be your intention, thats how it comes across.

The problem with you, or any other coug fan wondering if Hobert going to be a Leach miss is:

A. Its glass half empty thinking.

B. It shows a lack of confidence, trust, etc in Leach's ability to recruit, get the job done.

C. They should know better then to be like that, and should trust, have confidence in Leach, because of Leach's record, history of LOTS of WR's that PANNED OUT over the last 20 years

I am a glass half full when it comes to Leach. I have trust, confidence in Leach's ability to recruit, pan out WR's.

And I dont make comments like Yeah Leach is great BUT BUT....

And all coug fans should be like that.

Including You Ed

Please stop posting innaccurate, disparaging Yeah Leach is great BUT BUT BUT....... Comments.

Where we differ is if it is an informed opinion. None of us can have as much of an informed opinion as Leach, especially those of us behind keyboards a few hours after a player commits.

Opinions based on stereotypes, etc., do not mean much.

Where we differ is if it is an informed opinion. None of us can have as much of an informed opinion as Leach, especially those of us behind keyboards a few hours after a player commits.

Opinions based on stereotypes, etc., do not mean much.

Well if that is the criteria to post we all are in trouble. :)

Well if that is the criteria to post we all are in trouble. :)
That is not the criteria to post. Within reason, anyone can post what they want. However, this or any site would be better, more logical, and friendlier it people followed that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT