ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry to break it to everybody.

That was a gritty win.

Welcome to prime time Mr Williams.

"But it ain't 43".

"But it ain't 43".

He had a legit shot. Too bad, and great trash talk by pops.

Reactions: metprof
Good win by the Cougs. Disappointed that we got caught in a rut where only Williams was allowed to shoot. Glad to see the other guys get a couple shots that stretched the lead late and allowed us to win. Williams is great but we need to diversify the offense at times. Watching three guys standing around setting screens while Williams runs around isn't much of an offense. Impressed with his conditioning though. He must have run 10 miles in that game.

Good win by the Cougs. Disappointed that we got caught in a rut where only Williams was allowed to shoot. Glad to see the other guys get a couple shots that stretched the lead late and allowed us to win. Williams is great but we need to diversify the offense at times. Watching three guys standing around setting screens while Williams runs around isn't much of an offense. Impressed with his conditioning though. He must have run 10 miles in that game.

Disagree. Smith runs really good stuff offensively.

Adapting to the lack of Bonton and giving a little mover/blocker look has paid off the last couple games. Clearly, Rapp turning it over too much meant putting the ball in Noah's hands as often as possible.

Had the exact same thought re the offense toward the end. Glad it worked out. More generally, just a ridiculous game on all levels and a gritty, really impressive win. Especially if Bonton comes back, these young guys keep developing, and people find their roles, the team could make a lot of noise next year. Could make some in the tournament this year, too, especially, if they can find a way to avoid ruts like the one you describe.

Disagree. Smith runs really good stuff offensively.

Adapting to the lack of Bonton and giving a little mover/blocker look has paid off the last couple games. Clearly, Rapp turning it over too much meant putting the ball in Noah's hands as often as possible.

Overall, I don't have a problem with taking advantage of your best player. There was a stretch during the overtimes where it was becoming a liability. When the opposing team is willing to sell out and double team your best player every time the ball is near him, you have to be aware of that and do something else.

Again, I'm impressed at the level of play by Williams despite the fact that he was running his tail off. Also, Smith was a great hire and I really like the direction of our program.

"But it ain't 43".

Wasn't Idaho State either.

Reactions: cougcowboy
A "Basketball School", usually connotes either:

1. A college that is only good at Basketball:

A. The Jury is still out on that because of Leach, and Book, Jury is still out on Rolo, altho there might be a wee little tiny bit of concern

Rolo might produce, continue the good football program Leach built, or might not, dont know yet, we'll see.

So from this perspective, definition. We dont know if WSU is a Basketball school.

B. Also While Smith is doing AWESOME, he has yet to finish: goto the NIT/NCAA, for 3,4,5,6 straight seasons to then be recognized as a basketball school coach. Also after Smith leaves after 5 to 10 to 15 years, a good coach has to replace Smith for 5 to 10 to 15 more years and have 4 to 7 to 10 to 13 more NIT/NCAA tourny years to be considered a Basketball school.

2. A College that only has a basketball program, no football program.

A. Example: Gonzaga, even back in the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc, was a Basketball School because no football program

3. A College that has a good football program but whose basketball program is comparable to Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, Duke, etc.

By any of those definitions, WSU is either not a Basketball College or not a Basketball College yet, tho might probably be close to maybe, might probably becoming a Basketball College in the future.

Becoming a Basketball College in a positive way comparable to Arizona, Gonzaga, etc, is certainly easily doable by WSU, if WSU commits to do that and does it, which is easily doable by WSU.

Now all that remains to be seen, is WSU actually becoming a Basketball College in a positive way.

Whether or not WSU becomes a Basketball College in a positive way or not, one thing is certain, it has been and will probabmy continue to be a exciting, enjoyable ride, journey, and probably will be great to see WSU probably become a Basketball College in a good way.

We're a basketball school now.

Not by the SPOCKIAN facts, logic, reason, reasons I explained in my post.

Altho WSU is very close to, on the CUSP of becoming a Basketball College either in a negative or postive, good or bad way.

But WSU is not a Basketball College yet.

Another thing: Basketball Colleges have at least 4k to 16k in attendance every game.

That hasnt happened yet.

I know thatcant happen because of Covid, but even if no Covid, WSU is not gona get the 5k to 10k to 13k attendance in most games to be considered a Basketball College.

So no WSU is not a Basketball College yet.

We're now a basketball school.
It is a shame no one can watch it live. Two, I wish we had three do overs . We would be in tourney . Uw, osu, and Arizona shooting 50% from the line . That puts us in thick of tourney . I think with the right seeding WSU has the depth to win Pac 12 . But I think they need to be opposite side as usc

It is a shame no one can watch it live. Two, I wish we had three do overs . We would be in tourney . Uw, osu, and Arizona shooting 50% from the line . That puts us in thick of tourney . I think with the right seeding WSU has the depth to win Pac 12 . But I think they need to be opposite side as usc

I think we have a good shot at the CBI this year, which would give a young team a couple more games against solid competition. Up to five of them, which pays dividends down the road.

I think we have a good shot at the CBI this year, which would give a young team a couple more games against solid competition. Up to five of them, which pays dividends down the road.

e, I agree...but don't count us out in the league tourney. If we have everybody available, and play as well as we are capable of playing, we can beat any team in the league on a neutral court.

I'll add that it was interesting, watching Jaki play point guard. I think he ought to be on the court when we are getting pressed; a press breaker benefits when we have a tall ball handler.

Agree. That is what drives me nuts about this team at times. Too much one player focus and not enough team on the offensive side. Williams pressed a little late but seemed to let the game come back to him

If WSU wins 1 more Pac 12 regular season game out of the 2 remaining, that would be 15 wins, 10 loss record, and 7,8 wins in conference.

If in addition to that, WSU wins 1,2 Pac 12 Tourny games, WSU would be about 16,17 wins.

I can easily see WSU finishing with 16,17,18 wins and 17 at average.

A 17 wins, 18 wins and 10,11 loss record easily gets WSU a NIT berth.

14,15,16 wins, in a Covid Shortened season, 25,26 games season like this one, is CBI.

16,17,18 wins, is. NIT.

18,19,20 wins is NCAA.

Stanford, with their already 14,15 wins is a NCAA Bubble team.

If Stanford wins its final 2(Which they probably will), they would have about 17 wins.

If Stanford is a NCAA bubble team at 17,18 wins, then surely WSU is a NIT team at 16,17,18 wins.

WSU only getting either a CBI invite, or nothing, at 16,17,18 wins, instead of getting a NIT invite, would be a SNUB.

So WSU is likely getting 16,17,18 wins, and a NIT, instead of 14,15,16 wins and a CBI/Nothing.

Agree. That is what drives me nuts about this team at times. Too much one player focus and not enough team on the offensive side. Williams pressed a little late but seemed to let the game come back to him

Yaki, is that you? Haven't seen you around in a while...

Overall, I don't have a problem with taking advantage of your best player. There was a stretch during the overtimes where it was becoming a liability. When the opposing team is willing to sell out and double team your best player every time the ball is near him, you have to be aware of that and do something else.

Again, I'm impressed at the level of play by Williams despite the fact that he was running his tail off. Also, Smith was a great hire and I really like the direction of our program.

Perception can be a strange thing, while you perceived that the Cougs were standing around watching Noah, Andrej Jakimovski dished out 9 assists for the second straight game, team season highs, and we had as many or more assists vs. Cal and Stanford than in any other games this season, go figure.

For comparison, Arizona leads the league with 15.6 assists per game, we topped that in both games.

Perception can be a strange thing, while you perceived that the Cougs were standing around watching Noah, Andrej Jakimovski dished out 9 assists for the second straight game, team season highs, and we had as many or more assists vs. Cal and Stanford than in any other games this season, go figure.

For comparison, Arizona leads the league with 15.6 assists per game, we topped that in both games.

What I saw was an offensive game plan that cleared out the middle, because we generate our outside shots by penetrating, then dishing out when the D collapses on the guy who penetrated. Noah was the hot guy, so he got the majority of the dishes, or passes off the dish. My only fault with Noah yesterday (and he will learn) is that he permitted himself to penetrate too deep before dishing too many times, because by that point he was surrounded by at least 2 and sometimes 3 guys...and had no way to pass out, unless it was a blind pass. And he actually threw at least 2 blind passes that I saw. Most of the rest of the guys penetrated and dished reasonably well; didn't see many of them force shots at the rim. Speaking of the rim, we missed an incredible number of put-backs. That might also be a record, and if you want to look at weird stats, that one might be worth a glance if you could find it. Or take the time to count them. We must have had to go back on D without scoring on a put back at least 10 times...maybe more. That was also a reason why the game was so close, despite Noah's hot shooting.

What I saw was an offensive game plan that cleared out the middle, because we generate our outside shots by penetrating, then dishing out when the D collapses on the guy who penetrated. Noah was the hot guy, so he got the majority of the dishes, or passes off the dish. My only fault with Noah yesterday (and he will learn) is that he permitted himself to penetrate too deep before dishing too many times, because by that point he was surrounded by at least 2 and sometimes 3 guys...and had no way to pass out, unless it was a blind pass. And he actually threw at least 2 blind passes that I saw. Most of the rest of the guys penetrated and dished reasonably well; didn't see many of them force shots at the rim. Speaking of the rim, we missed an incredible number of put-backs. That might also be a record, and if you want to look at weird stats, that one might be worth a glance if you could find it. Or take the time to count them. We must have had to go back on D without scoring on a put back at least 10 times...maybe more. That was also a reason why the game was so close, despite Noah's hot shooting.

When our bigs learn to make the easy baskets in the paint with consistency, I see far fewer close games. Long 6'10" x 2, 6'8" x 2, 6'5-6" X 4 and throw in a 7'1" guy, like it or not this team is built for lunch pail in the paint work.

When our bigs learn to make the easy baskets in the paint with consistency, I see far fewer close games. Long 6'10" x 2, 6'8" x 2, 6'5-6" X 4 and throw in a 7'1" guy, like it or not this team is built for lunch pail in the paint work.

Like it or not, hopefully Coach Smith spends some time analyzing what Gonzaga does with their bigs. It's not old school 1970's camp on the block stuff/force a pass into the post (which unfortunately, they did against the UW resulting in way too many turnovers - kids today haven't been brought up to make the entry pass properly).

GU steps Timme out all the time as a 3-ball threat. He makes his living down low but drawing the other team's big guys out of their comfort zone. Really opens up the cutters for easy buckets.

I can easily see Efe surpassing what Rui did for GU. Way more advanced in his game and equally if not more athletic.

I was specifically talking about the overtime offense. BTW, if you haven’t seen the postgame locker room video.....enjoy the link below:

Locker Room Postgame
Well, I think you are asking a lot from a short handed team, late in the season, to play offense in OT like they did during the first 20 minutes. They didn't stand around on defense.

Like it or not, hopefully Coach Smith spends some time analyzing what Gonzaga does with their bigs. It's not old school 1970's camp on the block stuff/force a pass into the post (which unfortunately, they did against the UW resulting in way too many turnovers - kids today haven't been brought up to make the entry pass properly).

GU steps Timme out all the time as a 3-ball threat. He makes his living down low but drawing the other team's big guys out of their comfort zone. Really opens up the cutters for easy buckets.

I can easily see Efe surpassing what Rui did for GU. Way more advanced in his game and equally if not more athletic.
Efe missed something like 20 straight 3s before he hit the 3 in triple overtime. But every time he shoots I think it‘s going in. Really nice stroke plus he’s a great FT shooter so definitely see them stretching the floor out with him. Jackson is going to be good down low (10 boards yesterday) as well. The future looks bright.

Preaching to the choirs here. One of the big things I really like about coach Smith is his willing to adapt his line up and game plans to personnel. Against the UW a short, 4 guard team, the call is to play big, but we couldn't execute because, as you point out, kid these days don't know who the hell Pete Newell is. So there will be bumps in the road. But it does show his coaching flexibility. While I love the Bennetts, and what they did here, they coached a system, come hell or high water. People forget that Aron Baynes scored 19 pts in his first game as a Coug. Instead of scratching their chin, and think about how best to incorporate this athletic man mountain, they insisted leave the paint, and be a screen setter at the top of the key (also ignoring his top of the key shooting range), because that is what big men do in Bennett system, there was virtually no room for personnel adaptation.

There is a lot to be said about doing one thing, and doing it well, but that one thing does not need to be the same thing every year.

If WSU wins 1 more Pac 12 regular season game out of the 2 remaining, that would be 15 wins, 10 loss record, and 7,8 wins in conference.

If in addition to that, WSU wins 1,2 Pac 12 Tourny games, WSU would be about 16,17 wins.

I can easily see WSU finishing with 16,17,18 wins and 17 at average.

A 17 wins, 18 wins and 10,11 loss record easily gets WSU a NIT berth.

14,15,16 wins, in a Covid Shortened season, 25,26 games season like this one, is CBI.

16,17,18 wins, is. NIT.

18,19,20 wins is NCAA.

Stanford, with their already 14,15 wins is a NCAA Bubble team.

If Stanford wins its final 2(Which they probably will), they would have about 17 wins.

If Stanford is a NCAA bubble team at 17,18 wins, then surely WSU is a NIT team at 16,17,18 wins.

WSU only getting either a CBI invite, or nothing, at 16,17,18 wins, instead of getting a NIT invite, would be a SNUB.

So WSU is likely getting 16,17,18 wins, and a NIT, instead of 14,15,16 wins and a CBI/Nothing.
Unfortunately this year, the NIT is reportedly cutting back to just 16 teams, not the usual 32. In the past, conference champions that don't make the NCAA tournament are automatically seeded in the NIT. That could make it really hard for WSU to get into that tournament, but still possible with a strong finish and conference tournament. I also wonder if the trickle down effect will make it more difficult to make the CBI (other teams normally headed for the NIT may have the CBI as their only option.)

Interestingly, the NCAA is also considering holding the NIT in Indiana, just like the NCAA tournament, so that any team in the NCAA tournament that can't play its game due to COVID can be replaced by an NIT team "called up" under those circumstances....much like a player in the minor leagues is called up to the MLB when someone goes on the DL. Whatever happens, it just isn't going to be your normal season.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT