ADVERTISEMENT

Surprises from the game (not criticisms)

grahamcoug

All Conference
Nov 26, 2013
Graham
1- Gordon's accuracy (I assumed he would be good, but he was great last night)
2- Guburd has a cannon for an arm, particularly on that TD throw to Bell
3- Brennan Jackson and Travion Brown played a lot, and it wasn't just during garbage time.
They both are on a special team and played throughout the game, playing extensively
during the 2nd half.
4- We played 3 quarterbacks!
5- How little McDougal rotated in for Missiona in the 1st half
6- The way Leach breaks in backup offensive linemen, bringing them in one at a time and
combining them with 3 or 4 other starters. Example- Kingston came in, and teamed with
Valencia, Lucas, Watson, and Mauigoa. Next, it was Mayginnes teaming with some of the
starters, then Beresford.
7- There is always some walk on who plays! #99 Nicholas Sheetz was playing by the start of
the 4th quarter.

3- Brennan Jackson and Travion Brown played a lot, and it wasn't just during garbage time.
They both are on a special team and played throughout the game, playing extensively
during the 2nd half.
6- The way Leach breaks in backup offensive linemen, bringing them in one at a time and
combining them with 3 or 4 other starters. Example- Kingston came in, and teamed with
Valencia, Lucas, Watson, and Mauigoa. Next, it was Mayginnes teaming with some of the
7- There is always some walk on who plays! #99 Nicholas Sheetz was playing by the start of
the 4th quarter.
Just curious—do you think leach does the OL subbing or coach Miller? Seems like Leach generally stays out of the assistant coaches decisions, but maybe he’s more involved than I think.

7. I thought Sheetz was on scholarship. He was a late addition to the 2019 class, recruited by Phelps.

Good for him. WSU was his only Power 5 offer, at least what's on his recruiting profile. Who knows if he plays all season but he was on the field in his first college game.

I like the new rule letting kids play 4 games before declaring a redshirt or not.

Just curious—do you think leach does the OL subbing or coach Miller? Seems like Leach generally stays out of the assistant coaches decisions, but maybe he’s more involved than I think.
Good question. I always assumed Leach is more involved with the offensive side and stays out of the way of the defensive side. Now I am not sure.

Good question. I always assumed Leach is more involved with the offensive side and stays out of the way of the defensive side. Now I am not sure.
My guess is Leach sits down with each position coach beforehand and goes over the position coaches plan regarding who may get a few reps. Especially before a game such as that, where it's anticipated there will an opportunity for subs.

With respect to point #5.
I thought that McDougal was going to be the main man and maybe he will be before the year is out. What's interesting is that he is number 3 on the depth chart which shows the Cougs do have some quality at the NT position and that you can't just show up and expect star status. Didn't WSU have a guy leave the team in the last year or two when he didn't become "the guy". (Lolohea??).
You earn your time with CML team.

Gubrud looked good too, but Gordon seemed to have a little quicker more compact release

leach made the statement that he has final say of who plays on the defensive side of the ball, hes changed up from what he used to do-I think its a good thing

the 4th quarter.
2) It’s been well documented....

Arm Strength

Gordon > Guburd

7) Kid is from South Carolina & the possible “sleeper” of last years recruitment.

Reactions: random soul
during the 2nd half.
the 4th quarter.

My surprises were more conference than the Cougs, but it does coincidence with some thoughts about the Cougs.

1) How does WSU’ have two QB’ that would be in the top of QBs in the conference in terms of ranking and Utah continues to recruit kids who have a tough time throwing . Gage G for his own good probably should have transferred to Oregon State and he would be the third best QB at worse in the conference .

2) Along that same thought how does Cal , UCLA , OSU have no answers at the QB position.

3) Teams reflect their coaching beliefs . Utah has a tough d every year and get good corner play . Our defense needs to get elite corner play to become truly elite. They need a cb that can shut down their opponents best wr, take something away if you will.

4) Brown can play.

5) T Harris made a Reggie Bush move on the sideline on the score . He makes this offense really impossible to stop.

2) Along that same thought how does Cal , UCLA , OSU have no answers at the QB position.

It would be interesting to see if Beau Baldwin at Cal, even tried to recruit Gage to Cal this year despite him bringing him to Cheney years ago.

My surprises were more conference than the Cougs, but it does coincidence with some thoughts about the Cougs.

Beaver fans I've spoken with think Jake Luton is a very good QB and that Nebraska transfer Tristan Gebbia is a good backup and eventual starter after Luton graduates. QB is the least of OSU's problems. That defense is really bad.

Glad Cougar

5) T Harris made a Reggie Bush move on the sideline on the score . He makes this offense really impossible to stop.

We'll see if this assertion holds true vs the smartest man in the universe.
(Hint: Last name rhymes with "fake".)

Was anyone else surprised that AG didn't scramble more and get some yards rushing? I thought he showed real toughness standing in the pocket, but doesn't quite have the "time to move out" sense that Minshew showed which resulted in very few sacks last year (along with our very good O line, of course). A little concerned he is going to take an injury on a sack because of this.

Was anyone else surprised that AG didn't scramble more and get some yards rushing? I thought he showed real toughness standing in the pocket, but doesn't quite have the "time to move out" sense that Minshew showed which resulted in very few sacks last year (along with our very good O line, of course). A little concerned he is going to take an injury on a sack because of this.

The one time he saw the rush coming he got about a yard. The second time they got pressure he got sacked.

He was 22/23 throwing, so kind of hard to say he should have ran more.

I also noticed that the few times that he threw on the move, he was off target. It is something to watch going forward. If it is an issue and not just a first game problem, teams will begin to scheme to move him.

Only time and more games will tell. Pretty hard to find much fault with Gordons start. Strong arm, quick release, accurate. Also, that little quick side arm completion on his second pass was a veteran play. Still, it is all about consistency.

Reactions: wazzubruce
Thanks for the clarification about Sheetz, I remember that now. Also, there was a #22 who played on defense in the 3rd and 4th quarter. I couldn't catch his name, and he wasn't listed on the participation report. The roster says he is Mathew Danbridge. Did any one else notice him playing? Thanks.

Last edited:
While I admit that Gordon's accuracy % is pretty darned impressive, I will also note that I'd expect no less with no pass rush and slow db's on the other side.

Same for next week.

I like the soft opening as a chance to work out the bugs and get some good film review of assignments, performance, etc.

Let's see how Houston does at disrupting things. His accuracy in that game will be a more true indicator.

I liked Gordon's last second side arm fling out to Borghi in the flat after going through all his progressions. Silvels has a redshirt year. I wonder if they are gonna bulk him up and play him at d end. We are so stacked at wr I would move Donovan Ollie to linebacker.

I liked Gordon's last second side arm fling out to Borghi in the flat after going through all his progressions. Silvels has a redshirt year. I wonder if they are gonna bulk him up and play him at d end. We are so stacked at wr I would move Donovan Ollie to linebacker.
Ollie had a good fall camp at receiver and we lose Winston and Patmon after this year. Ollie and Brandon Gray seem poised to compete at the Z next season.

I agree. Ollie is just so big. Our depth at lb is just so much weaker than we, and we have that big stud wr coming in next year. I was super high on the lb from Hawaii based on his film, hopefully he will make a push next year.

While I admit that Gordon's accuracy % is pretty darned impressive, I will also note that I'd expect no less with no pass rush and slow db's on the other side.

Same for next week.

I like the soft opening as a chance to work out the bugs and get some good film review of assignments, performance, etc.

Let's see how Houston does at disrupting things. His accuracy in that game will be a more true indicator.

If UH had issues with OUs wrs, theyll have issues with WSUs wrs too. Maybe moreso.

Reactions: mikalalas
AG has one helluva quick release.

Watching him is like trap shooting. You yell "PULL" and before the p is completely out of yer yap the clay bird's flying.

Reactions: mikalalas

Same for next week.

If Alabama's Tua, doesnt do as good at NMSU, isnt as accurate at NMSU next week, as Gordon was last week at NMSU, does that still mean that dont know if Gordon was good or not until Houston?

No.

22 completions, out of 23 attempts, what Gordon did is so freaking hard, even against air in practice, TNF, THUR NIGHT FOOTBALL, ETC.

In fact its so hard to do that Tua will probably only go about 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 completions out of 21 attempts, or about a 63% to 75% completion percentage in 1 half.

Last edited:
Our WR group is strong, but do you even know who OU's receivers are?

Yep OU's are all 4 star and up type guys, no doubt the most talent loaded part of that team. People need to tap the brakes thinking OU's success in that game against UH necessarily means anything for WSU. IMO Borghi will be a much more key part for that game than the receivers unless Gordon can suddenly start running like Hurts.

It is not Leach's style but that is one game where it might be nice to roll Gage out for a few series to give them a QB run option as something to worry about.

AG has one helluva quick release.

Watching him is like trap shooting. You yell "PULL" and before the p is completely out of yer yap the clay bird's flying.
Quickest release since Gesser. I just hope he isn't as adept at getting hit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT