ADVERTISEMENT

vs Santa Clara

That is true. Santa Clara has a lot of size. Will be a big step-up in competition. Good to start getting ready for Pac play.

Should be a big step up in competition especially for the bigs. I would be happy with Mikalas’s prediction

Cut the halftime lead in half to 8. Jones, Jakimovski, and Wells carrying the load with 7, 7, and 5. Rice in some foul trouble w/ 3. Now 4 fouls on Rice.

I didn't realize this was an early game. Just turn it on and were down by 9. We not shooting well?

The SILVER LINING is that WSU played ok defense, rebounded ok, didn't have a lot of turnovers, and were ok on turnovers, passed ok, shot ok from Freethrow line, etc.

The problems:

1. WSU shot about 20%

2. Santa Clara was shooting about 49%, no matter how tough the shot was

3. Smith didn't call timeout until Santa Clara went on a 21-1 run, and got a 16,17,18 point lead.

He should have called the timeout sooner. Good teams, coaches call timeouts sooner, earlier to stay closer to opposition, and to slow down opponent momentum.

4. Had semi quasi semi sorta semi bad shot selection.

5. Didn't have injured Yesufu, who might have been able to provide veteran leadership, better ball handling, decision making, and that might have stabilized, calmed down the team, etc.

WSU played good enough to win, and deserved to win. WSU just had the 1 game a season, etc, that shot EXTREMELY, HORRIBLY BAD, COULDN'T HIT OCEAN IF AIMED AT IT, ETC.

It was 17-12 us and I believe SCU ended the half on a 27-6 run. Defense was much better in the 2nd half and we started to move better on offense. We cut it to 8 a few times, just couldn't get much closer before Rice went off toward the end of the game.

We are missing Yesefu's potential. Jakimovski looked better in the 2nd half, but is struggling to make shot. I like what Houinsou gives us, but as Don MacLean said you have to take some 3s. He did hit 1 today, but wasn't willing to take many when he was unguarded.

Missed WAY too many lay ups/5-10 ft close shots. Some calls and non calls were head scratchers. SC is a good team and expected a close tough game

Atrocious first half and overall 3 point shooting sunk us. Winning is really tough when you shoot 22.5% from the field in the first half and 28.5% from 3 for the game. SCU was playing good D but not that good.

Reactions: mikalalas
We have seen some positive play from this team and from individual players so far this year but against terrible teams. We have lost the only two games we’ve played against any kind of competition. We all have seen this scenario play out before. Win a few games against sub par teams and everyone gets excited and starts thinking we might be better than we really are.

We have seen some positive play from this team and from individual players so far this year but against terrible teams. We have lost the only two games we’ve played against any kind of competition. We all have seen this scenario play out before. Win a few games against sub par teams and everyone gets excited and starts thinking we might be better than we really are.
Jaki is becoming a liability

Rhode Island, and PSU were good wins, and almost beat, and should have beat and would have beat #17 MSU on a neutral court , if MSU HADN'T MIRACULOUSLY THROWN UP ABOUT 3,4,5,6 DESPERATION HEAVES THAT MIRACULOUSLY WENT IN, BANKED IN, and if WSU had not shot about 50% from Freethrow line.

Rhode Island has beaten 1,2 pretty good teams, they are currently about Quad 2, Quad 1.5 with a ok chance to be Quad 1 by tournament time at end of season.

PSU is a pretty good team with a good record and 1 good win, and are Quad 2 Quad 1.5, with a ok chance to be Quad 1, win their conference's NCAA tournament bids.

And like I said WSU played good enough to win as far as good rebounding, defense, ok on turnovers, etc, it's just that they shot about 20% from the field, and about 28% from 3.

Doesn't matter how awesomely good you play in all the other measurable statistical categories, as if you shoot only about 20% from field, etc, your going to lose.

If WSU had Shot about, around 40% from the field, instead of 20%, THEY WOULD HAVE WON.

WSU had its 1,2,etc, BAD SHOOTING NIGHTS, WHERE CANT HIT THE OCEAN IF A GUN PUT TO YOUR HEAD, AND YOU AIM CAREFULLY, PER SEASON.

There is no shame in WSU losing to Santa Clara.

Santa Clara has beaten some pretty darn good teams including OREGON.

I'd rather WSU have a EXTREMELY BAD SHOOTING NIGHT AGAINST A SANTA CLARA AND LOSE, THEN TO HAVE THAT BAD SHOOTING NIGHT AGAINST EWU INSTEAD, AND LOSE TO EWU.

Also like I said before, WSU has 9, NINE NEW REPLACEMENT PIECES, AND THAT THERE WOULD BE GAMES THEY WOULD LOSE THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE WON, BECAUSE IT TAKES TIME TO JELL, DEVELOP CHEMISTRY, PLAY TOGETHER, ETC.

Assuming WSU beats BSU, and goes 9-2 in noncon, where about 5 teams out of the 11 teams is pretty good, where MSU, Rhode Island, PSU, Santa Clara, BSU, those 5 teams are good, where only lose 2 out of those 5 good teams.

That's pretty decent, ok, good.

I think WSU finished 9-2 in Noncon, and 9-11, 10-10, 11-9, 12-8 in conference, tied for 4th at best, 5th, 6th, 7th in conference at worst, wins 18,19,20,21 wins by tournament time, wins 1 or 2 PAC 12 tournament games, for 19,20,21,22 wins by NCAA, NIT tournament time, NIT elite 8, NCAA bubble in, 2nd round finish.

I think that's likely, realistic, and pretty good for 9, NINE NEW REPLACEMENTS.

Jaki is becoming a liability

Only because his 3 point shooting has gone bad.

He has provided good leadership, defense, has drived to the the basket, created his own shot, finished, scored at rim about 2,3,4 times this season, has rebounded ok, taken charges, played ok defense.

Problem is his nonstop missed 3's is killing WSU. He needs to get his 3 point shot back and make them.

I don't know why he is missing his 3 pointers. He has been(IN THE PAST), is supposed to be a pretty good 3 point shooter.

Also keep in mind that WSU has been without a INJURED YESUFU.

WSU could have used Yesufu's leadership, good perimeter defense, taking charges, steals, assist, calm, stabilizing influence, he probably would have shot better then 20% from field, 28% from 3.

When your playing against a good Santa Clara team that BEAT OREGON, you don't want to be without Yesufu.

“Rhode Island has beaten 1,2 pretty good teams, they are currently about Quad 2, Quad 1.5 with a ok chance to be Quad 1 by tournament time at end of season.”

Not sure why you think Rhode Island is a good win? They are below 500 and currently one of the worst teams in D-1basketball (245) they are so deep into the quad 4 hole they can’t even see quad 3 much less quad 2 or the made up quad 1.5.

5 minutes worth of reading and you could get a better understanding of the quad system.

Jake is in a shooting funk but he is far from a liability.
Teams like the Cougs can’t have multiple guys go ice cold from 3. Tough for us to beat anyone with a pulse. Shooting isn’t about effort like defense and rebounding, it can come and go. When you shoot that poorly you just need to flush it and regroup.

Reactions: mikalalas
In games that start before noon, the Cougars are 0-2. In games that start later, they are undefeated. If they don't play any more early games, they win the National Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT