ADVERTISEMENT

WSU @ ASU GAME THREAD

Originally posted by froropmkr72:
Jeez, forgot it was 10am. Thanks Chip.
It's an early one.

In other news, another special teams disaster gives them the ball close to FG range.

Even though ST is once again a disaster, I'm shocked at how well the D is doing on the first 2 outings.

That may be the first time all year that the defense, faced with adversity of another unit's doing, actually responded positively.

Seems that one difference with Falk is we're getting more long balls (which he throws really well, and are amazing when they work) but we're not getting as many chain-moving short passes.

Also, tiny tailbacks strike again. Some on here defend the hell out of them because they work hard and their stats are inflated by making hay with the few carries they get, but we have nobody who can make them pay when they start sitting on routes.

Where the hell did this defense come from?

For those who aren't watching, we have been dominating the LOS, doing bangup in the secondary, and have sacked TK at least twice.

Amazing.

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:
Falk's pocket prescence is impressive.
Agreed. Our OL still has some serious work to do, but it is nice for him that he gets a serviceable OL to begin his career. Connor and Tuel both inherited a row of turnstiles that turned them into injured, nervous, happy footed QBs.

Tyler Baker is really looking like a stud today.

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:
Falk's pocket prescence is impressive.
He's embracing the "Cool Hand" role. It's very early but TOP and execution is quietly effective. TD Cougs! This is really enjoyable.

HILARIOUS: the ASU fickle fans are turning on their community college....another 3 and out!!

4 sacks already. When was the last time that happened this early. Love the 4 man front with Palachio's hand on the ground. Crap- int just thrown.

Oops.

Bad decision by Falk to throw a high jump ball into coverage where the DB gets to set his feet and go up for the snag. And the D goes RIGHT back onto the field.

Took Connor a few years to learn that so I might be getting greedy, but I hope we don't see much of that next year.

This defense, my GAWD!!

Well, there's the downside of bringing pressure. Picked that one up big time for a huge gain.

Let's hope that's not the end of the blitz effectiveness, and therefore our D's effectiveness.

Rough play there by Falk, but receivers will appreciate the "let us make a play" mentality. Really looking good so far. The DL is blowing up ASU's line, and the DB's still won't look for a ball, but without Strong, the Devils seem short of receivers.

Charleston White just got headbutted into his own end zone by DJ Foster for a TD. Kind of an embarrassing effort there from a kid I really like.

Can't say I care for having to use 3rd and 4th downs on short goal line situations.

But I CAN say I care for the fact that we're still scoring on them...

let me state the obvious: the longer the cougs show they belong, the tighter the devils will get....

Originally posted by chipdouglas:
Isaiah Myers and River Cracraft just doing yeoman's work already.
Absolutely love this receiving corps. The 2nd and 3rd effort by Myers on that last drive, Cracraft making a big catch, the outstanding catch by Baker earlier in the game, Morrow hanging on to the ball on that big hit (about to break Broussard's record for most catches in a season by a RB) and Mayle being Mayle.

Glad Cougar

I enjoyed how Falk made ASU defense pay for not respecting his ability to sneak in the ball on the first TD. Made them look dumb. Very smart play by Falk.

devils go 3 and out AGAIN, they are 0 for FIVE on 3rd downs!
roll.r191677.gif

Given Graham's mercurial temperament, if they get down 21-7 at home I would love that

And of course, on the Morrow catch, the ASU safety leads into a H2H- no flag.

Punting unit not having a GREAT day today--the botched snap/catch/kick, and then the extra steps the punter is taking, and risking the block.

We've also really got to work on punt returns. We're giving up an average of 20 yards by letting every single punt bounce. Got to have a guy with hands who can at least call fair catch on the 35 instead of letting it roll to the 5.

ASU is really playing sloppy on all levels. OL, QB, receivers, defense, penalties, etc.

Falk with some really amazing pocket presence and mobility. He just got away with an incompletion--if that's Connor, it's a sack and a loss of 10.

One of the bad things about Falk is time management: he's played the equivalent of 2 games now (?) and has already had maybe 4 delays of game, or DoGs that Leach saved with TOs.

Aaaand there is the defense regressing to its mean, giving up big plays, returning to poor tackling etc.

Almost didn't recognize them for a minute.

Welp.

Miscues by ST and one LF interception has given them 14 points.

Defense having some embarrassing moments, but they've really only given up 7 while the offense has scored 21.

Originally posted by chipdouglas:
Aaaand there is the defense regressing to its mean, giving up big plays, returning to poor tackling etc.

Almost didn't recognize them for a minute.
Man, what a quick turnaround that was. WSU is going to have to win TOP in order to have a chance in the second half. Also- some D adjustments needed and I'm not holding my breath until that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT