ADVERTISEMENT

Most anticipated position/player next season?

being a defense guy, I can’t wait to see what that wrecking ball McDougle can do on the DL. What player or position has you all excited for next year?
I just want to see that guy in uniform. If he gets on the field I’m ecstatic.

Of course whoever starts at QB

#3...a wild card...the long snapper. Looking forward to place kicks not being an adventure.

1.) Let's see what Claeys and Phelps do with some bigger bodies.
2.) Will we go with a true MLB? Do we have one if so?
3.) How does our RT look after being switched to LT?
4.) Of course, QB, but it is a mark of CML's amazing QB track record that this is only the 4th most interesting thing for me to see....

1.) Let's see what Claeys and Phelps do with some bigger bodies.
2.) Will we go with a true MLB? Do we have one if so?
3.) How does our RT look after being switched to LT?
4.) Of course, QB, but it is a mark of CML's amazing QB track record that this is only the 4th most interesting thing for me to see....

1) are those present/ ready to play?
2) We do not have one, unless someone is getting converted.
3) Hopefully not too big of an adjustment as far as technique.
4) Those QBs only photos combined with GM winning the spot doesn't instill in me a ton of optimism in getting another record setting qb. You'd think that somewhere in that mix of what... 7 qbs there would be one with the swagger, moxie, talent, and leadership to take the reins next year, without having to go the grad transfer route again.

Bryce Beekman

6-2 200lbs JUCO Safety from Louisiana

It’ll be Nice to have a bigger body back there roaming.
If he’s a true 200 gotta think he will be a solid 215 by the fall. That’s Deonne Buchanon as a senior sized safety.

If he’s a true 200 gotta think he will be a solid 215 by the fall. That’s Deonne Buchanon as a senior sized safety.
If he can keep his speed at that weight, it’d be pretty awesome to have an enforcer wreaking havoc on receivers in the backfield.

All the above. It’s been only two days since cougar football ended and i’m already looking forward to next season.

Reactions: 79COUG
being a defense guy, I can’t wait to see what that wrecking ball McDougle can do on the DL. What player or position has you all excited for next year?

I’m also interested to see what Roderick Fisher can do with his elite track speed with more time in the system. Will the Cougs have a true deep threat?

Reactions: Coug1990 and 79COUG
I’m also interested to see what Roderick Fisher can do with his elite track speed with more time in the system. Will the Cougs have a true deep threat?

Me too, and hopefully he can push Tay Martin. I like Martin, but he needs to hit the weights hard this off season to help improve his consistency. Also, Patmon needs targeted far more. We are still ridiculously loaded at WR going into next year, so the ball will probably be distributed all over the place again. Regardless, I still think they need to make it a priority to get the ball into Patmon's hands more...good things always seem to happen when they do.

Excited to see Mcdougle, and I think some of the other young guys on the DL will be bigger, stronger, and ready to go as well. So looking forward to seeing them as well.

CB/DB bodies coming in are really going to push the competition and depth, and it's nice to see some size back there.

I'm still kind of concerned about LB play, as Kurt mentioned, size and speed at those positions have been a weakness for us at times the last few years.

QB will be an interesting crap shoot. I really think we will need to step up our run game next year for our current crop of QB's to be successful. I just don't seen any of them having the same savvy intangibles like Minshew had.

On defense, it has to be McDougle, Hobbs, Crowder, Willie Taylor, Dominick Silvels, Tyrese Ross, Halid Djibril, and all the JC defensive backs. Of course, someone has to replace Peyton's experience (physically, he's replaceable but his knowledge of the game often offset his lack of speed). I'm excited to see if Oguayo and Woods can take it up a notch. Oguayo is cut beyond belief, and with better interior play could become a superstar.
On offense, the QB position is a no brainer, but I'm interested to see if Noah Osur-Myers is going to be fully recovered and where he fits in considering both Ryan and Watson return at guard. Is he going to get a medical redshirt? Jouvensly Bazil and his 10.42 speed at running back could break the back of a lot of defenses tired of chasing Williams and Borghi around.
Andre Dillard must be replaced, but who is the guy?
Back to quarterback: I posted on the premium board that we can't afford to return to a statuesque type of QB, that Minshew's escability and his quick release were big factors in the offense's success. Let's face it. Defenses will continue clogging up the passing lanes by dropping eight into coverage. A running QB and quick throws make it harder for defenders to react. But who is going to step up?
Finally, the WRs cannot rest on their laurels. We're going to find out rather quickly if they've done their off-season work. Martin must get stronger and more explosive to fight the jams on the outside (he often was eliminated in the offense the last half of the season). Will Brandon Gray, Kassidy Woods, and Rodrick Fisher emerge? Will Calvin Jackson, Jamire Calvin, Renard Bell, Travell Harris, and Easop Winston progress or take a step back?

Yaki, those are most of the questions. Maybe by the end of spring ball we will have some of the answers.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Finally, the WRs cannot rest on their laurels. We're going to find out rather quickly if they've done their off-season work. Martin must get stronger and more explosive to fight the jams on the outside (he often was eliminated in the offense the last half of the season). Will Brandon Gray, Kassidy Woods, and Rodrick Fisher emerge? Will Calvin Jackson, Jamire Calvin, Renard Bell, Travell Harris, and Easop Winston progress or take a step back?

Agree completely. Both Tay Martin and Jamire Calvin will have to work hard this offseason to keep their reps. My fear with Martin is that he doesn’t like to get hit. Getting stronger will help, but we need him to be a reliable target over the middle. Calvin needs to work on the dropsies. This offense has missed a reliable possession receiver since Cracraft left. Calvin can always get open on the drag routes and quick outs, but his hands are a question mark.

Tremendous depth though. You have think we’ll have a solid 2-deep rotation.

On defense, it has to be McDougle, Hobbs, Crowder, Willie Taylor, Dominick Silvels, Tyrese Ross, Halid Djibril, and all the JC defensive backs. Of course, someone has to replace Peyton's experience (physically, he's replaceable but his knowledge of the game often offset his lack of speed). I'm excited to see if Oguayo and Woods can take it up a notch. Oguayo is cut beyond belief, and with better interior play could become a superstar.
On offense, the QB position is a no brainer, but I'm interested to see if Noah Osur-Myers is going to be fully recovered and where he fits in considering both Ryan and Watson return at guard. Is he going to get a medical redshirt? Jouvensly Bazil and his 10.42 speed at running back could break the back of a lot of defenses tired of chasing Williams and Borghi around.
Andre Dillard must be replaced, but who is the guy?
Back to quarterback: I posted on the premium board that we can't afford to return to a statuesque type of QB, that Minshew's escability and his quick release were big factors in the offense's success. Let's face it. Defenses will continue clogging up the passing lanes by dropping eight into coverage. A running QB and quick throws make it harder for defenders to react. But who is going to step up?
We have so many bigger bodies outside that I wonder if Jackson would be better off taking Sweet's spot in the slot rotation. What a group that would be. Jamire Calvin would be the slow one

Cade Beresford. Can't wait to see that guy on the field, whether that be next year or the following.

offense: QB is not worrying to me at all. A number of promising backups and I have trust in CML's selection of Minshew's successor. The next guy may not be Minshewesque but more than merely serviceable. WRs should be fine and with increased experience would logically be even better than this year. Dillard's graduation is a problem on the O-line but perhaps not a large one. I expect Lucas to move to LT and then we have a fair number of possible replacements available for his vacated position.

Defense: Unlike our anxiety prior to this season regarding the interior D-line, I think that McDougle and others will fill the D-line nicely and reduce opponent's slamming us between the tackles with such effect. Certainly could use more depth but I suspect that we will be O.K. Lots of DBs coming back with experience and a considerable number of new recruits slotted into that area of defense. My main concern defensively is the loss of Pelluer and who is going to replace his leadership and consistency at middle LB.

ST: Need a new LS but supposedly the new commit sounds promising. Otherwise we are set.

I do not see any loss that cannot be dealt with effectively by available replacements and would be surprised if we do not have another stellar season next Fall.

offense: QB is not worrying to me at all. A number of promising backups and I have trust in CML's selection of Minshew's successor. The next guy may not be Minshewesque but more than merely serviceable. WRs should be fine and with increased experience would logically be even better than this year. Dillard's graduation is a problem on the O-line but perhaps not a large one. I expect Lucas to move to LT and then we have a fair number of possible replacements available for his vacated position.

Defense: Unlike our anxiety prior to this season regarding the interior D-line, I think that McDougle and others will fill the D-line nicely and reduce opponent's slamming us between the tackles with such effect. Certainly could use more depth but I suspect that we will be O.K. Lots of DBs coming back with experience and a considerable number of new recruits slotted into that area of defense. My main concern defensively is the loss of Pelluer and who is going to replace his leadership and consistency at middle LB.

ST: Need a new LS but supposedly the new commit sounds promising. Otherwise we are set.

I do not see any loss that cannot be dealt with effectively by available replacements and would be surprised if we do not have another stellar season next Fall.

Crowder developed physically throughout this season alone. I saw him on the field in August, and he's changed considerably since then. I won't be surprised to see Hobbs at 295 plus this spring or summer, and Aiolupotea-pei is probably going to tip the scales at 280, 285. The best d-lines at WSU involved a solid rotation (ask Rien Long; he benefited from one).

Reactions: kayak15
Crowder developed physically throughout this season alone. I saw him on the field in August, and he's changed considerably since then. I won't be surprised to see Hobbs at 295 plus this spring or summer, and Aiolupotea-pei is probably going to tip the scales at 280, 285. The best d-lines at WSU involved a solid rotation (ask Rien Long; he benefited from one).
Thanks, Yaki. Nice to hear your report on Crowder. I hope and expect that you will be proven correct about others on the line. Claeys is not stupid and surely knows about the need for more heft there. Undoubtedly he, Leach and others on the defensive side of the staff will be paying close attention to workouts this Winter and Spring to ensure that this develops as desired. Continue on the Speed D path while adding as much size, athleticism and strength as possible without impairing the needed quickness required to succeed in this pass-happy conference.

Thanks, Yaki. Nice to hear your report on Crowder. I hope and expect that you will be proven correct about others on the line. Claeys is not stupid and surely knows about the need for more heft there. Undoubtedly he, Leach and others on the defensive side of the staff will be paying close attention to workouts this Winter and Spring to ensure that this develops as desired.

And I hope we're not finished recruiting for the interior d-line positions. No one had a clue about McDougle coming in, so the coaches might be playing things close to the vest. Remember: solid d-tackles are perhaps one of the most coveted athletes.

And I hope we're not finished recruiting for the interior d-line positions. No one had a clue about McDougle coming in, so the coaches might be playing things close to the vest. Remember: solid d-tackles are perhaps one of the most coveted athletes.

Would imagine that you are correct in your first two sentences. As far as the last one, no "perhaps" about it. What do you want to see in a football player? Size, strength, athleticism, quickness, work ethic and more. A DT or NT needs all to one extent or another. Good ones are a rare breed. Other positions can be deficient in some of those traits without affecting their performance. Just not needed as much or at all. The QB spot gets all the recruiting attention and hype from the fans and media. I'm certainly no expert but I strongly suspect that there are about as many top notch QBs in high school as there are top notch interior D-linemen. And one only needs one recruit at that position each year. DTs/NTs, a recruiting class needs at least two or more. The Alabamas and Clemsons of the football world can load up with three or more, leaving lesser ranked teams holding an empty bag and picking up lesser prospects with the hope that they develop. That is why I said there is no "perhaps". I believe that big D-linemen are even more desired and thus pursued than the more publicized positions. Might be wrong but I don't think so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT