ADVERTISEMENT

Our 2018 QB situation...

Coug95man2

Hall Of Fame
Dec 7, 2011
I thought we had a decent chance at the Coeur d'Alene kid, Colson Yankoff but he's recently verballed to Ewe (which I find odd with another kid already entrenched and committed but whatever. That's another thread for another day). So that leaves us with 3 known options at this time:

Matthew Tago 2star QB out of Quartz Hill CA (He's listed as QB but looking at his hudl, he's a scrapper and I'm gonna guess he's more RB than anything else).
Cammon Cooper 3star QB out of Lehi UT
Brevin White 4star QB out of Lancaster CA This Rivals link doesn't have his Hudl so here it is: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4200658/brevin-white

First Tago... As far as QB position is concerned, he has an odd technique. He almost uses his whole upper body to finish the throw. But he gets the ball down field. Not a lot of zip. But he's a scrapper, like I said above. Which leads me to his running. He isn't afraid of putting his head down and clanking helmets. Good vision, it seems. Not a lot of "moves" but has the attitude.

Cooper: I find it interesting that the 3star kid has more offers than the 4star kid... It happens a lot but it seems kinda like the obligatory hot babe that's lonely because everyone is afraid to ask her to dance. Meh, whatever, just interesting. I'll be honest, I like a kid with a bit more "bulk", not so skinny, and the Cooper kid is taller AND heavier than the 4star kid. Cooper also seems to have the ability to run around a bit more. Could also be a result of the Oline at his school and it was/is a survive or die situation... But like him. Decent arm, not the quickest release but solid. His best asset is his ability to get out of trouble, it seems. Accurate, at least from the film.

But White has an arm! At times he appears to just "flick" it out there and it's a lob out 30 yards. Then his release seems quite quick. He has a "touch" to his throws. He runs but doesn't appear to be as comfortable with it... Overall, I wouldn't mind either QB (Tago I don't think REALLY is a QB recruit) for different reasons. Very accurate.

Anyways, just fun, off-season fodder.

Thanks for the info. Always enjoy your speculations.

My impression of CML is that he prefers a guy who is accurate over a guy with range. He prefers a kid who can glance at the field and assess the coverage over a kid with good mobility. And he values work ethic over almost anything else. Of course, he would like to have all of those things, but it looks like the stuff I mentioned is primary in his assessment of HS QB's.

A kid who wants to come to Pullman is another thing high on the list. As John Wooden used to say, eager is more important than willing.

As for Yankoff, you should never underestimate little Peter's assets when it comes to recruiting. And in looking at how he recruited at BSU and how he currently recruits at UW, it is crystal clear that he is willing to tell a kid who is backed up behind one or more well entrenched others that they have a realistic chance to start. It may be pure horse feathers, but lil' Peter does not seem to be bothered by kids who find out different and transfer out of the program later. Just keep that pipeline filled, baby!

Maybe they see Tago projecting as a LB like Dotson and Rogers?
There is a segment of his Hudl with him as such. I just didn't see him there. He did well at the position but his running seemed inspired, almost. LB is possible, though. Personally, I just don't see the QB.

There is a segment of his Hudl with him as such. I just didn't see him there. He did well at the position but his running seemed inspired, almost. LB is possible, though. Personally, I just don't see the QB.
White and Cooper look like good to very good prospects.

With Yankoff, it sounded like he knew us well and liked the staff but simply wasn't interested in WSU. He might be like Falk and just believe he will rise above whatever's around him. From the sounds of the Bothell kid if I had to bet my money is on Yankoff.

White and Cooper look like good to very good prospects.

With Yankoff, it sounded like he knew us well and liked the staff but simply wasn't interested in WSU. He might be like Falk and just believe he will rise above whatever's around him. From the sounds of the Bothell kid if I had to bet my money is on Yankoff.
So that everyone is in the loop, Ewe already has a 4star QB committed by the name of Jacob Sirmon out of Bothell. Interesting note, it's been openly said that Jacob has been going in to the Ewe and watching film with Coach Petey... how that isn't an NCAA violation, I'm not sure.

Anyways, why would you put your money of Yankoff over Sirmon?

So that everyone is in the loop, Ewe already has a 4star QB committed by the name of Jacob Sirmon out of Bothell. Interesting note, it's been openly said that Jacob has been going in to the Ewe and watching film with Coach Petey... how that isn't an NCAA violation, I'm not sure.

Anyways, why would you put your money of Yankoff over Sirmon?

Admittedly I haven't looked at uw's depth chart, but Little Peter must have trouble brewing if he's taking two QBs. Also unusual in this day and age for two highly rated guys to commit to the same place. We'll see who leaves.

• Anyways, why would you put your money of Yankoff over Sirmon?
Sirmon can take as many unofficial visits as he wants to so pretty good idea if you can swing it. Just a feeling on Yankoff. I could be totally wrong.

Sirmon can take as many unofficial visits as he wants to so pretty good idea if you can swing it. Just a feeling on Yankoff. I could be totally wrong.

The NCAA will never limit unofficial visits, because it's the one clear advantage the so-called power programs (USC, UCLA, UW) have in the major population centers that are their backyards. So long as Peterson isn't providing benefits while they visit (the cash-filled coffee cups and lurking female beauties notwithstanding), he can be as sleazy as he wants to be.

The NCAA will never limit unofficial visits, because it's the one clear advantage the so-called power programs (USC, UCLA, UW) have in the major population centers that are their backyards. So long as Peterson isn't providing benefits while they visit (the cash-filled coffee cups and lurking female beauties notwithstanding), he can be as sleazy as he wants to be.
I get what you and Ferris are saying... but to watch film with the head coach? To basically get "coaching"... isn't that a "benefit"? Obviously not like what you outlined but someone out there with more knowledge of the rules...
Think about this scenario. Peterson has been doing all this coaching with this kid. And now the kid de-commits and goes to another school in the PAC. Talk about a wealth of knowledge... at least I'd think so. You'd be able to really get some info on tendencies, the "what-if's"... stuff like that.

I get what you and Ferris are saying... but to watch film with the head coach? To basically get "coaching"... isn't that a "benefit"? Obviously not like what you outlined but someone out there with more knowledge of the rules...
Think about this scenario. Peterson has been doing all this coaching with this kid. And now the kid de-commits and goes to another school in the PAC. Talk about a wealth of knowledge... at least I'd think so. You'd be able to really get some info on tendencies, the "what-if's"... stuff like that.

On second thought, there might be some kind of limit on unofficial visits in which there is one-on-one contact with coaches...

It's an unfair competitive advantage. Can any kid show up and get coached?

Point of information- female beauties do not lurk. They pretty much put everything out in the open.

How is it unfair?

Well, he's essentially started coaching a kid before he's on the roster. Wouldn't it be nice if every school could have their QB recruits show up for film sessions before they sign a LOI???

If the kid were on campus for a camp, fine. But just showing up at the office? No way.

Well, he's essentially started coaching a kid before he's on the roster. Wouldn't it be nice if every school could have their QB recruits show up for film sessions before they sign a LOI???

If the kid were on campus for a camp, fine. But just showing up at the office? No way.

Every school can do that. Seems fair.

Fair for schools with local recruits. Think Nebraska would be down for that? How about Bill Snyder at Kansas State? Or Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona.... Seems like something Rick Neuheisal would do to press the rules.

Fair for schools with local recruits. Think Nebraska would be down for that? How about Bill Snyder at Kansas State? Or Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona.... Seems like something Rick Neuheisal would do to press the rules.

All of those schools have local recruits.

It's an unfair competitive advantage. Can any kid show up and get coached?

I'm not sure if they can be coached (this might violate the so-called "try out" rule) but the NCAA says kids can visit a school as many times as they wish, as long as it's at his/her or the family's expense. They can, however, receive three complimentary tickets to school events. They can talk with a coach as often as they wish if it's outside a "dead period."
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-unofficial-visit

I'm not sure if they can be coached (this might violate the so-called "try out" rule) but the NCAA says kids can visit a school as many times as they wish, as long as it's at his/her or the family's expense. They can, however, receive three complimentary tickets to school events. They can talk with a coach as often as they wish if it's outside a "dead period."
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-unofficial-visit
i would think that studying film goes beyond talking with a coach

i would think that studying film goes beyond talking with a coach
This goes to my point... It seems this sets a precedent. The ways to progress this, if studying film with the head coach is OK (thus being "coached", not just talking to a coach), is just about the imagination and how to re-define words and actions.

What stops this kid from showing up "after practice" to throw the ball around with WR's, as an example? Just throwing the ball around with his new found "friends", right?

I'm still not sure about the rules and I'm not sure how I stand on this because this seems to be a VERY gray area, IMHO. But my knee-jerk reaction is this smells fishy. It's turning into semantics, not the "intent" of the rule. Just seems like NCAA has worked hard to separate the recruits from the schools, until they have signed their NLI and are enrolled. This behavior seems to break that "separation", a bit.

What do signees have to do with it?

P.S. 57 since 2003

It should tell you that at 4 in state kids per class that having kids over to your offices to get coached up really isn't an option.

How many kids has SC or UCLA taken from SoCal since 2003??? Think it's 57 or less?

It should tell you that at 4 in state kids per class that having kids over to your offices to get coached up really isn't an option.

How many kids has SC or UCLA taken from SoCal since 2003??? Think it's 57 or less?

Remember, that's signees only, no doubt they recruited more in the state. If it's > 1 it's an option and if they feel they are disadvantaged by it they can recruit more locally.

Remember, that's signees only, no doubt they recruited more in the state. If it's > 1 it's an option and if they feel they are disadvantaged by it they can recruit more locally.

So you're saying there are more than 4 BCS level kids to recruit out of Nebraksa or Kansas every year? Disagree.

At what point is the line drawn in college football recruiting? To write that another school with less talent isn't prohibited from doing the same thing is stupid. It's a convenient way of minimizing the advantage of the school with more local talent to recruit and it's ability to develop relationships with that player.

There's a reason there are limits on official campus visits and dead periods on contact. It's so one school doesn't gain an unfair advantage over another.

Looks to me like the uw is cheating again. All that $$$, still has to cheat to win.

So you're saying there are more than 4 BCS level kids to recruit out of Nebraksa or Kansas every year? Disagree.

At what point is the line drawn in college football recruiting? To write that another school with less talent isn't prohibited from doing the same thing is stupid. It's a convenient way of minimizing the advantage of the school with more local talent to recruit and it's ability to develop relationships with that player.

There's a reason there are limits on official campus visits and dead periods on contact. It's so one school doesn't gain an unfair advantage over another.

Looks to me like the uw is cheating again. All that $$$, still has to cheat to win.

Disagree if you wish. Numbers say otherwise. State of Kansas alone has had 30 signed in the last two years.

You and Biggs are arguing with a "dawgie" who came onto the scene here shortly after "chinookpirate" aka nooknuts was banned for the third time.
Ah, banned and last posted after LOI 2016'.....middle Febuary. MD starts March 1st 2016'. Nice catch. He's much nicer when he no longer has to pretend. ;)

Reactions: Coug95man2
Huh? There are one million plus within 50 miles of the ewe. The entire population of Whitman County is about 60,000. Subtract Pullman (AKA Wazzu) and you are left with 30,000. Seems fair? Your logic is approaching the level of your suggestion of Michelle for university president. Biggs is spot on. It comes down to greater access to recruits. The ewe has a significant advantage here but one that can only be described as "fair" while accompanied with a grin, a wink and a chuckle.

Not overly familiar with NCAA regulations but providing personal coaching to a recruit outside of a camp environment sounds questionable.

Huh? There are one million plus within 50 miles of the ewe. The entire population of Whitman County is about 60,000. Subtract Pullman (AKA Wazzu) and you are left with 30,000. Seems fair? Your logic is approaching the level of your suggestion of Michelle for university president. Biggs is spot on. It comes down to greater access to recruits. The ewe has a significant advantage here but one that can only be described as "fair" while accompanied with a grin, a wink and a chuckle.

Not overly familiar with NCAA regulations but providing personal coaching to a recruit outside of a camp environment sounds questionable.

Moonmutt = nooknuts. The only question is when does she go off her meds?

The rule on unofficial visits applies to all and is fair in that sense. I thought the appeal of WSU was their plucky, underdog mentality. You no likey pick a different school to root for in a more populous area, or with a larger endowment or with better facilities or better academics or better coaching or any other dimension that makes it "unfair".

The rule on unofficial visits applies to all and is fair in that sense. I thought the appeal of WSU was their plucky, underdog mentality. You no likey pick a different school to root for in a more populous area, or with a larger endowment or with better facilities or better academics or better coaching or any other dimension that makes it "unfair".
You'll think it's fair until, in a couple years, a 5 star QB from the LA area verbally commits to you guys. Then out of no where, 1 week before NLI day, he decommits from Ewe and commits to USC. You later find out, he's been visiting his friend, who happens to coach the USC football team, in the film room to break down what he would do, IF he were to be QB at USC...

We all know verbal commits mean nothing... The precedent this kind of action sets is dangerous and will open it up to things like above... Just "hangin' out"... it just an "un-official" visit... hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Reactions: BiggsCoug
And on a slightly different note, I'm hearing GREAT things about Anthony Gordon, our JC QB recruit from last year. I hear he is truly putting the screws to Hillinski and shining on the practice field. Sounds like the QB position is truly a competition for reps in the 2 seat.
For those that don't even know who he is, here is his bio:
ANTHONY GORDON

I also don't think Rivals has done anything on him, so I'm linking a CougCenter article. Hope that's OK:
http://www.cougcenter.com/2016/5/31...qb-anthony-gordon-late-addition-to-2016-class

I thought we had a decent chance at the Coeur d'Alene kid, Colson Yankoff but he's recently verballed to Ewe (which I find odd with another kid already entrenched and committed but whatever. That's another thread for another day). So that leaves us with 3 known options at this time:

Matthew Tago 2star QB out of Quartz Hill CA (He's listed as QB but looking at his hudl, he's a scrapper and I'm gonna guess he's more RB than anything else).
Cammon Cooper 3star QB out of Lehi UT
Brevin White 4star QB out of Lancaster CA This Rivals link doesn't have his Hudl so here it is: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4200658/brevin-white

First Tago... As far as QB position is concerned, he has an odd technique. He almost uses his whole upper body to finish the throw. But he gets the ball down field. Not a lot of zip. But he's a scrapper, like I said above. Which leads me to his running. He isn't afraid of putting his head down and clanking helmets. Good vision, it seems. Not a lot of "moves" but has the attitude.

Cooper: I find it interesting that the 3star kid has more offers than the 4star kid... It happens a lot but it seems kinda like the obligatory hot babe that's lonely because everyone is afraid to ask her to dance. Meh, whatever, just interesting. I'll be honest, I like a kid with a bit more "bulk", not so skinny, and the Cooper kid is taller AND heavier than the 4star kid. Cooper also seems to have the ability to run around a bit more. Could also be a result of the Oline at his school and it was/is a survive or die situation... But like him. Decent arm, not the quickest release but solid. His best asset is his ability to get out of trouble, it seems. Accurate, at least from the film.

But White has an arm! At times he appears to just "flick" it out there and it's a lob out 30 yards. Then his release seems quite quick. He has a "touch" to his throws. He runs but doesn't appear to be as comfortable with it... Overall, I wouldn't mind either QB (Tago I don't think REALLY is a QB recruit) for different reasons. Very accurate.

Anyways, just fun, off-season fodder.
And on a note regarding Cammon Cooper, he has been invited to the Elite11 Finals competition camp. This is a big deal...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT