ADVERTISEMENT

To each their own

It's like playing chess against a beginner. Here's what Harris said in the very link you posted.

"If the public health professionals, if Dr. Fauci, if the doctors tell us that we should take it, I’ll be the first in line to take it. Absolutely. But if Donald Trump tells us that we should take it, I’m not taking it."

She then proceeded to get the shot on December 28

Right. Because Trump was not using Fauci as his source on the recommendation. Good thinking Krusty brain.

No. I don't accept your counter.

Death would be a good place to start in terms of long term effects, followed by myocarditis, stroke and seizures. Infertility and miscarriages is the next segment. Why all of sudden are these spiking? If asking those types of questions isn't the very essence of science, why trust 'the science'? "The Science" should stand up to ongoing inquiry and criticism.

As for me, I'll never be comfortable with something pushed down my throat with such vigor by the government at such a pace. They lost that blind trust a long time ago.
Before I can really even know where to begin I would like to see your source for these claims. Death, myocarditis and miscarriages are also results of actually contracting COVID. I do know of a much debunked claim of miscarriages spiking by a supposed 366% in Britain. You can read numerous fact checks on that dubious claim from the BBC, Reuters, Politifact, USA today to name a few.

So, what's your source? Natural News? Frontline Doctor's? The Bird group?

Right. Because Trump was not using Fauci as his source on the recommendation. Good thinking Krusty brain.
Cute, except you said this:

The funnier thing you don't mention is your favorite brilliant VP Harris was completely against the jab when Trump was in office...or are you ignoring that just because?

Your link and the quote I highlighted from that very video said no such thing. You simply read into it your preference of interpretation. Please learn to describe things accurately in the future. Taihtsat

Before I can really even know where to begin I would like to see your source for these claims. Death, myocarditis and miscarriages are also results of actually contracting COVID. I do know of a much debunked claim of miscarriages spiking by a supposed 366% in Britain. You can read numerous fact checks on that dubious claim from the BBC, Reuters, Politifact, USA today to name a few.

So, what's your source? Natural News? Frontline Doctor's? The Bird group?

"Fact checkers?"

Wow. You are really a kool-aid drinker if you believe "fact checkers." Politifact? Really? Pfffttt...

Cute, except you said this:

The funnier thing you don't mention is your favorite brilliant VP Harris was completely against the jab when Trump was in office...or are you ignoring that just because?

Your link and the quote I highlighted from that very video said no such thing. You simply read into it your preference of interpretation. Please learn to describe things accurately in the future. Taihtsat
It's absurd to even suggest she would rely on Trump's word only about taking the jab. Of course she wouldn't. It was stupid of her to even suggest that Trump had the final say on this issue.
Think!

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
It's absurd to even suggest she would rely on Trump's word only about taking the jab. Of course she wouldn't. It was stupid of her to even suggest that Trump had the final say on this issue.
Think!
What you keep missing is that she wasn't "completely against the jab while trump was in office", as she clearly expressed. Taihtsat

What you keep missing is that she wasn't "completely against the jab while trump was in office", as she clearly expressed. Taihtsat
No... she was just against it if it in any way made Trump look like he knew what he was doing.

As she clearly expressed.

Word for word.

Let's play fair here. That's what she said.

If you want to go with what she meant... then let's do the same people on both sides.

No... she was just against it if it in any way made Trump look like he knew what he was doing.

Word for word.

If you want to go with what she meant... then let's do the same people on both sides.

Word for word.

I think you need context . You have one person sayjng we need to stick a flashlight up our tailpipe and need to put disinfectant in our system, better put find a way to put in disinfectant in our system . And also promoted horse deworming med and a malaria drug… so I think the greater point is she would take it under the trump administration if doctors came out and said it went through the proper trials .

I think you need context . You have one person sayjng we need to stick a flashlight up our tailpipe and need to put disinfectant in our system, better put find a way to put in disinfectant in our system . And also promoted horse deworming med and a malaria drug… so I think the greater point is she would take it under the trump administration if doctors came out and said it went through the proper trials .
Ed... I love you man. I appreciate your posts. But no way are you serious that Trump was trying to have people drink 409.

I hate this when people mean to say something, but it comes out wrong and get they fried for it. Give them a chance to explain and then look where it actually goes.

We are headed in a horrible direction in a country that has always had different methods of communicating and presentation.

Measure what people say with a certain amount of tolerance and a spoonful of context, meaning, and goal.

What do you think I mean when I say F the fuskies?

Pass the Kool-aid to Ed...

Horse dewormer? Now I know why you do real estate financing instead of...well...never mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: acgcoug

Word for word.

Did you watch the same clip that I did?

What I heard her trying to say was, "If health professionals endorse the vaccine, I'll take it. If they aren't and it's just Donald Trump promoting the vaccine, I won't take it".

In the heat of the moment in the debate, she didn't make it as clear as she could have, but anyone with a shred of objectivity knows that she wasn't saying that she would skip an FDA approved vaccine if it gave Trump a political win.

I'll finish by saying that the video shows why Harris is not as strong of a candidate as the Democrats thought (think?) she was. She was clearly nervous and her answer provided a soundbite to use against her if someone is willing to ignore the rest of her answer.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Ed... I love you man. I appreciate your posts. But no way are you serious that Trump was trying to have people drink 409.

I hate this when people mean to say something, but it comes out wrong and get they fried for it. Give them a chance to explain and then look where it actually goes.

We are headed in a horrible direction in a country that has always had different methods of communicating and presentation.

Measure what people say with a certain amount of tolerance and a spoonful of context, meaning, and goal.

What do you think I mean when I say F the fuskies?
If I can use a couple of phrases that have unfortunately become acceptable ...fake news....alternative facts. '

Here is the problem- the guy who made those comments realized how uneducated they sounded and said he was joking. Even tho he was dead serious and it was clear he was talking about an antibiotic that would help "clean" out the lungs. Yes I knew exactly what he meant and he had a choice to clean it up, but doubled down.

But the guy lies so much if he said the vaccine was ready to go without the medical professionals I would not take it. He flat out lied about covid 19. He told Chris Wallace how serious it was, and how it was in the air, yet because he thought it would hurt his reelection he lied to the people instead of telling us the truth. In doing so it actually cost him the reelection.

He downplayed the disease and thus suggested the horse deworming drug, the anti malaria drug. So being a pathological liar no one should take medical advice from him, thus Harris' point

So no I don't think Trump meant to take a shot of 409 with a Lysol chaser. I knew exactly what he meant. He was given a chance to clean it up and does what he does, lies again and doubles down.

As for the direction of the country...i think we are a bit laid to be tolerant of what people say, don't you? How I take the 409 comment is the least of the problems. We as a country can't even agree on what we are seeing when it looks like police are being overrun at the Capitol. It was a "tour". If what we see on camera can't be taken at value, a woman climbing through a window and is killed trying to gain illegal entrance becomes the martyr, we are lost. And guess what...that is not going to change. Because it has now become ok to have violence if the election doesn't go your way.

So how do you combat it if Trump is elected in 2024? Without proof, Biden claims he won, and that Harris does not count the electoral votes. See two can play that game.

Last edited:
Did you watch the same clip that I did?

What I heard her trying to say was, "If health professionals endorse the vaccine, I'll take it. If they aren't and it's just Donald Trump promoting the vaccine, I won't take it".

In the heat of the moment in the debate, she didn't make it as clear as she could have, but anyone with a shred of objectivity knows that she wasn't saying that she would skip an FDA approved vaccine if it gave Trump a political win.

I'll finish by saying that the video shows why Harris is not as strong of a candidate as the Democrats thought (think?) she was. She was clearly nervous and her answer provided a soundbite to use against her if someone is willing to ignore the rest of her answer.
I can't believe I'm going to do this... *sigh*

Doesn't it strike you as... oh, I don't know... immature, spiteful, ignorant, the list could go on, but I think you get my point... doesn't it strike you that a Presidential candidate/ VP elect would be so concerned about saying anything to be counter-Trump to the point of basically losing the meaning of her statement? The rhetoric turned into "whatever DJT says, I'm the opposite" just to emphasize the fact of being oppositional. It doesn't help that neither her, JB, nor DJT are particularly well spoken and mostly come off as buffoons anyway (yea America!)

I guess my point is, if you can't say what you need to say without resorting to "yeah, well Trump sucks and nanny nanny boo boo" after every statement I have to question your mental state/ capacity as a leader if you can be so easily triggered by a rival.

I am going to post on this thread once, first of all I like Rolo, I thought he was a good hire and a good fit for WSU, the Covid year messed things up for a lot of teams and we only played 4 games, it was a tough situation, but you have to learn to adapt. Things just never seemed the same after that, the easy going, at times humorous coach disappeared, he just had an attitude after that.

There are two comments, One is vax or not vax, which was an issue than, to say the least, and still seems to be an issue with the military, law enforcement and fire fighters, but no one else. Rolo had a choice and he elected to make the wrong one, get a shot that has less than .1% of having any negative impacts on you, and keep your job, or don't take the shot and walk away from 3 million a year. I think most reasonable people would taken the shot under those circumstances. You have to adjust to the times, he didn't

Secondly, as a coach he seemed to have his team prepared, but couldn't seem to make adjustments, and the key at this level is making adjustments. Here are a few facts, I am a numbers guy, it's one way I look at things to help find answers, don't rely on them completely, but they always tell a story.

Rolo coached 11 games.
His record was 5-6
Of those 11 games, he lead 8 at half time, and one win we were down at half. So that is 9 potential wins and he got 5.

1st half scoring under Rolo for the 11 games.

WSU 160, Opponents 117,

And this is where it gets ugly and suggests he couldn't make adjustments
2nd half scoring

WSU 128, Opponents 210

If you can't win the 2nd half, you won't win many ball games. Those 2nd half numbers do not reflect good coaching.

Once again you have to adjust, he didn't seem to.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
If I can use a couple off phrases that have unfortunately become acceptable ...fake news....alternative facts. '

Here is the problem- the guy who made those comments realized how uneducated they sounded and said he was joking. Even tho he was dead serious and it was claer he was talking about an antibiotic that would help "clean" out the lungs. Yes I knew exactly what he meant and he had a choice to clean it up, but doubled down.

But the guy lies so much if he said the vaccine was ready to go without the medical professionals I would not take it. He flat out lied about covid 19. He told Chris Wallace how serious it was, and how it was in the air, yet because he thought it would hurt his reelection he lied to the people instead of telling us the truth. In doing so it actually cost him the reelection.

He downplayed the disease and thus suggested the horse deworming drug, the anti malaria drug. So being a pathological liar no one should take medical advice from him, thus Harris' point

So no I don't think Trump meant to take a shot of 409 with a Lysol chaser. I knew exactly what he meant. He was given a chance to clean it up and does what he does, lies again and doubles down.

As for the direction of the country...i think we are a bit laid to be tolerant of what people say, don't you? How I take the 409 comment is the least of the problems. We as a country can't even agree on what we are seeing when it looks like police are being overrun at the Capitol. It was a "tour". If what we see on camera can't be taken at value, a woman climbing through a window and is killed trying to gain illegal entrance becomes the martyr, we are lost. And guess what...that is not going to change. Because it has now become ok to have violence if the election doesn't go your way.

So how do you combat it if Trump is elected in 2024? Without proof, Biden claims he won, and that Harris does not count the electoral votes. See two can play that game.
ED, you have a sneaky habit of twisting or deliberately misinterpreting things Trump said to either make it sound worse or to actually make it the opposite of what he said. Trump NEVER suggested injecting cleaners, he was asking the "expect" at the news conference if there was any to adapt methods that worked on miscellaneous surfaces so they could be useful on humans. https://www.dailywire.com/news/fact...-themselves-with-disinfectant-or-drink-bleach There is a huge difference in asking if something can be done and suggesting that someone actually go and do something.

Question-if you are so upset at Trump for initially downplaying the seriousness of the virus, are you also irate at Fouci for all his lies to the American people? Things like saying there was no need for people to wear masks when he later said he did it because there wasn't enough masks for the medical professionals.

Reactions: Cougini5591
ED, you have a sneaky habit of twisting or deliberately misinterpreting things Trump said to either make it sound worse or to actually make it the opposite of what he said. Trump NEVER suggested injecting cleaners, he was asking the "expect" at the news conference if there was any to adapt methods that worked on miscellaneous surfaces so they could be useful on humans. https://www.dailywire.com/news/fact...-themselves-with-disinfectant-or-drink-bleach There is a huge difference in asking if something can be done and suggesting that someone actually go and do something.

Question-if you are so upset at Trump for initially downplaying the seriousness of the virus, are you also irate at Fouci for all his lies to the American people? Things like saying there was no need for people to wear masks when he later said he did it because there wasn't enough masks for the medical professionals

Stretch....can I say fake news? How about alternative facts?

I thought I addressed whether or not Orange Jesus (OJ) was serious about the 409 comment. No, I think what he was trying to say was that they need a drug (which became Regeneron) that was an antibiotic that would serve as a method to clean the lungs. I knew exactly what he meant. Now there is a short few, maybe 2000 people who aren't smart enough to know the difference.

He could have easily cleaned that statement up. Easy squeezy...."no I wasn't talking about drinking 409, but rather developing a drug that attacked the virus that was in the lungs". Doesn't seem that hard.

Don't you feel silly defending OJ's statement when supposedly he wasn't serious. He told us that it was a joke, that the fake media sold it as factual. So which one is it? If it is the former, seems to me own it, clarify and move on. But with his ego he can't. He realizes a guy with an Ivy League Education can't sound that simple, or that is what he thinks. So he said he was joking. So you are asking me questions about a joke.

I don't trust OJ cause the guy can't tell the truth. He is a pathological liar. Started day one when he said he had the largest crowd for an inauguration. Yet aerial photos showed different. Is it a big deal to say, "I thought it was, we had a great crowd"? Nope. Perfectly acceptable. Instead, the term alternative facts was invented.

I am not upset triple D lied about covid. I am upset his son and Manafort buddied up to a country that has nukes pointed at us, and now blackmailing Ukraine and NATO with threat of using a nuke. And why? Because they wanted opposition research. And I would be irritated if a dem went to Iraq or Iran for getting dirt on their opponent.

I get upset when there is a "non peaceful" entrance into the Capitol while he watched on TV and didn't do a thing. Not one. That would be like Roosevelt watching the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor for three hours before saying and doing anything.

I get upset when he tries to take away a democracy that worked because his ego was hurt and he is power hungry. I get upset when he has top secret stuff at his home when they aren't supposed to be there.

What I said about lying about the seriousness of covid is it cost him the election. I would expect him to lie about it. That is what OJ does.

In terms of Fauci....prior to this what other infectious disease items have you had issue with him. I think I would answer your question this way....1) I have a friend who has spent his life developing drugs to manage cancer. Before I knew Fauci he told me exactly what to expect with covid. Educated me about the spanish flu, and how it was the morphed second year and that rendition of the spanish flu is the one that killed everyone.

He told me life won't really get back to normal until a vaccine is developed. And that would probably take two years. The fast track was a feather in Trumps cap.

I asked my friend how it was developed so fast. Said easy. First, they know the vaccine is out of your system in 30 days. The affects will be seen in that time frame. Second he told me with his drug takes years to put together trials because not everyone for example has Triple X breast cancer that is in stage two . With covid everyone was a trial candidate.

The other thing he told me is the first covid drug if everyone took it before delta emerged the virus would have not had a place to grow. Granted it was a short window and I fully acknowledge that. But the ORIGINAL trial showed it was effective in stopping the spread of the original covid. But like with cancer it morphed. So they have to look for other means to manage it.,

The last thing my friend said to me when I asked him what happens when Delta (deadly) marries Omicron (you look at someone and it is passed along) and he told me something comforting. These virus' typically burn out, become less and less deadly.

My friend has been spot on. He has met Fauci and has a lot of respect for him.

As to Fauci and his lie....why did he lie...for the betterment of the general public or for personal gain. Yeah in hindsight probably should have said mask up, and let the run on masks affect hospital care.

Fauci lied for what he thought was the good of the people (short term) and OJ lied for his political gain.

And if OJ lied about one thing I could care less but it is a pattern of behavior.

And here is a question for you...asked my Christian sister and she looked at me dumbfounded....and to date when I ask the question no one who supports Trump can give me an answer. I no longer ask people about past behavior...grabby a woman in the Pu$$y, or other things he has done. But rather the following...what is your threshold of his behavior that you will not accept? For my sister while she "opposed" his grabbing, but she likes his policies and that doesn't deter her vote.

My wife's mother grew up in Greece and Italy during WWII. It was fake news what they said about Mussolini. He had great policies for the Italian people, he was a great speaker and very well dressed, and he would never do what people said he did.

Then there is the truth. But he did have great policies....

Can we just agree that both sides deliberately misinterpret statements, seize on sound bites, and twist words for their own purposes, and that none of them can be trusted?

I already made that abundantly clear.

Which makes questioning even more relevant. There is overwhelming greed on both sides of the political spectrum. Big Pharma hedges their bribes/bets to red and blue with equal fervor.

But god forbid we question 'the science'. "The Science" only cares about earnings reports.

I already made that abundantly clear.

Which makes questioning even more relevant. There is overwhelming greed on both sides of the political spectrum. Big Pharma hedges their bribes/bets to red and blue with equal fervor.

But god forbid we question 'the science'. "The Science" only cares about earnings reports.

The point that you and every other anti-vaxxer dodges is this: If the COVID vaccine is a sham that is being promoted by Big Pharma.....why is the entire world taking the vaccine without these huge headlines around the world where hundreds of thousands of people are suffering dire consequences?

Why is the entire world playing along with American politics and pharmaceutical companies?

I saw the perfect example of the stupidity and lies that folks like OAN and Infowars throw out that people like you eat up if it suits your world view. There is a Youtuber named Tyler Hoover who has a Youtube channel titled "Hoovies Garage".....his self-proclaimed dumbest automotive channel on Youtube. He did a video where he towed a very light Model A on an aluminum trailer with a Ford Lightning and it was a disaster. The Ford struggled to make a 65 mile round trip without running out of electricity. He was very critical of the pickup's performance in towing....but said that it was an amazing truck for the 90% of people who don't really tow anything. Alex Jones....dumbass extraordinaire....talks about Hoovies' video on his show and proclaims that he couldn't get the truck over 25 mph while towing....despite Jones showing a portion of the video where you can see the speedometer indicating a speed of 73 mph.

That kind of mindless stupidity, where facts are ignored and soundbites are snipped without regard to context, is the same kind of mindless sh!t that you and others are throwing out there when you talk about evidence. Anyone with a shred of objectivity knows that you are delusional when you talk about "THE SCIENCE" but that doesn't keep you....or idiots like Jones....from repeating it in the hopes that others will begin believing that it's true. Unfortunately, humans are dumb, ignorant beasts when crowd mentality comes into play....and people get duped into believing it.

If you want to see how stupid and ignorant infowars really is....here is a link to Hoovies' response to Jones using his video on infowars:

Flat-

I am NOT anti-vaxx. I've personally had a bunch over the years.

I'm anti COVID mandate. I'm anti-push it down people's throats mere months after the virus was identified. I am PRO-personal choice and decision making when it comes to what goes into one's body. Or, in the case of abortion, what comes out. It's simply not my call on assessing the variables in some other person's health decisions.

And part of that process is being fully informed and questioning data with regards to those decisions.

This shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Flat-

I'm anti COVID mandate. I'm anti-push it down people's throats mere months after the virus was identified. I am PRO-personal choice and decision making when it comes to what goes into one's body. Or, in the case of abortion, what comes out. It's simply not my call on assessing the variables in some other person's health decisions.

And part of that process is being fully informed and questioning data with regards to those decisions.

If this is truly your view, "personal choice," in the middle of a global pandemic, you are in "anti-vaxx" denial. We were fortunate this time around, the death toll was relatively low, in the millions and mostly among the sick and aged, with vaccines having only limited efficacy. But espousing "personal choice" amid a global medical emergency is as dangerously "anti-vaxx" as you can get. It is actual worse than the left wing Marin County folk, I assume you would describe as truly "anti-vaxx." They were simple free loading on the good done by millions of parents who were responsible, community minded, and had their children vaccinated. "Personal choice," in the middle of a global pandemic, is just another way of saying, its all about me, F---- the rest of you.

Reactions: CougEd
Flat-

Actually, I don't have a problem with people that make the personal choice to not get vaccinated. If Rolovich (and my friend in WA) don't want to be "forced" go get vaccinated, I get that. I also believe that the government, universities and businesses have the right to say that if you want to remain employed by, or participate in activities affiliated with them.....you have to comply with the rules. If you don't want to, live with the consequences of your choice.

At the height of the pandemic, when 3,000+ people were dying every day because of COVID.....saying that you had to comply with the mandate if you wanted to participate in certain things was very reasonable. I will say that in our current situation where there are only a few hundred people dying on average....which is statistically similar to the flu.....you throw mandates out the window. It's a matter of looking at things in the right context. I do agree with you that there shouldn't be any mandates in our current health environment.

The point that you and every other anti-vaxxer dodges is this: If the COVID vaccine is a sham that is being promoted by Big Pharma.....why is the entire world taking the vaccine without these huge headlines around the world where hundreds of thousands of people are suffering dire consequences?

Why is the entire world playing along with American politics and pharmaceutical companies?

I saw the perfect example of the stupidity and lies that folks like OAN and Infowars throw out that people like you eat up if it suits your world view. There is a Youtuber named Tyler Hoover who has a Youtube channel titled "Hoovies Garage".....his self-proclaimed dumbest automotive channel on Youtube. He did a video where he towed a very light Model A on an aluminum trailer with a Ford Lightning and it was a disaster. The Ford struggled to make a 65 mile round trip without running out of electricity. He was very critical of the pickup's performance in towing....but said that it was an amazing truck for the 90% of people who don't really tow anything. Alex Jones....dumbass extraordinaire....talks about Hoovies' video on his show and proclaims that he couldn't get the truck over 25 mph while towing....despite Jones showing a portion of the video where you can see the speedometer indicating a speed of 73 mph.

That kind of mindless stupidity, where facts are ignored and soundbites are snipped without regard to context, is the same kind of mindless sh!t that you and others are throwing out there when you talk about evidence. Anyone with a shred of objectivity knows that you are delusional when you talk about "THE SCIENCE" but that doesn't keep you....or idiots like Jones....from repeating it in the hopes that others will begin believing that it's true. Unfortunately, humans are dumb, ignorant beasts when crowd mentality comes into play....and people get duped into believing it.

If you want to see how stupid and ignorant infowars really is....here is a link to Hoovies' response to Jones using his video on infowars:

Electric vehicles with no torque? Obviously Alex hasn't seen 2 1/2 ton Tesla's absolutely crush 850 BHP Dodge Demons in drag races. That is so so stupid, too much torque is an electric car problem, you go through tires like no ones business.

Electric vehicles with no torque? Obviously Alex hasn't seen 2 1/2 ton Tesla's absolutely crush 850 BHP Dodge Demons in drag races. That is so so stupid, too much torque is an electric car problem, you go through tires like no ones business.
I haven't seen this. But generally those that try to bash electric motors don't know the technology. Electric motors have been around and been in use for high torque loads for close to a century. Granted it does depend on the ability of the electric source to provide the current necessary to generate the torque, but that hasn't been a challenge since Li-Ion batteries were invented (especially in short bursts necessary to get going).

But electric motors are generally much more powerful (and efficient) than gas/diesel engines. Diesel locomotives are really diesel-electric. The motors on each axle on a locomotive are up to 1600hp.

The gigantic mining dump trucks use electric motors.

Ships use electric motors. My father served in the Navy as an officer in engineering and the ship he was on, the USS Canopus, burned diesel to generate steam to generate electricity, which powered the motors on the propeller shaft.

Submarines in WWII and nuclear submarines today use electric motors.

The novel thing about Tesla, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, etc, isn't in the motors. That's nothing new. Been around for more than a century. The novelty is in the battery technology, both in charging and managing discharging, especially with respect to heat management and overcharge protection. Remember that the Li-Ion battery only entered the market in 1992 and that the inventors of the Li-Ion battery were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2019. The battery technology is only recently capable of the storage of energy necessary to power such powerful motors with meaningful life.

If this is truly your view, "personal choice," in the middle of a global pandemic, you are in "anti-vaxx" denial. We were fortunate this time around, the death toll was relatively low, in the millions and mostly among the sick and aged, with vaccines having only limited efficacy. But espousing "personal choice" amid a global medical emergency is as dangerously "anti-vaxx" as you can get. It is actual worse than the left wing Marin County folk, I assume you would describe as truly "anti-vaxx." They were simple free loading on the good done by millions of parents who were responsible, community minded, and had their children vaccinated. "Personal choice," in the middle of a global pandemic, is just another way of saying, its all about me, F---- the rest of you.
It cracks me up. When my kids were babies..."hey ED they need there vaccines." And when they went to school or played in sports I had to provide the fact they were vaccinated. It wasn't a "choice", it was mandated.

And the collateral damage from our response wasn't just about covid deaths. It was about getting standard procedures in hospitals. It was about getting appropriate care for our pets. I can attest because of covid and how people were off sick, or how they had a no contact policy we weren't able to get our "Louie" properly diagnosed because we were never face to face with the vet to help give the proper symptoms. It was always relayed over the phone. Needless to say Louie went for his daily hour and a half walk with my wife on January 1 and on the third of January we were told he was terminal and he put down on the 10th.

But many people have stories were covid impacted their lives. Did we put our best foot forward? Nope...and there have been many unintended consequences of our collective behavior.

Reactions: Cougsocal
I was on the peloton on Sat morning flipping through channels. I stopped on the motor channel on a show I hadn't heard of. All Girl Garage. They were test driving a Ford EV mustang. They didn't like it because of the lack of petro sound. They had a guy who has developed a sound system that is tied into the computer and it has sounds of a mustang that come from the rear of the car.

Then they take the EV mustang to the track against another mustang that is gas. The electric mustang literally kicked it backside. Wasn't even close.

I was on the peloton on Sat morning flipping through channels. I stopped on the motor channel on a show I hadn't heard of. All Girl Garage. They were test driving a Ford EV mustang. They didn't like it because of the lack of petro sound. They had a guy who has developed a sound system that is tied into the computer and it has sounds of a mustang that come from the rear of the car.

Then they take the EV mustang to the track against another mustang that is gas. The electric mustang literally kicked it backside. Wasn't even close.
This is of course all true for torque, traction control, etc.

Where these EV's fall short, however, is energy storage. The energy density in a single tank of gasoline or diesel dwarfs the battery capacity of any EV. Gasoline stores about 9500 kWh/L and diesel stores ~10kWh/L. Take a 30 gallon tank of diesel and that is 1MWh of energy on board for about 210lb. A Tesla Model 3 has capacity of ~82kWh and weighs about 1000lb.

Also, take into account "recharge" time. An empty Tesla Model 3, at best, takes from 30min to an hour. At home it could take 8 hours. An empty gas tank takes 10min without any special equipment.

So, clearly for short term trips, or trips with plenty of downtime, EVs have a real advantage. In terms of performance for sure. But for long trips, such as semi trucks, trains, airplanes, ships, etc., the energy density isn't quite there yet.

Where these EV's fall short, however, is energy storage. The energy density in a single tank of gasoline or diesel dwarfs the battery capacity of any EV. Gasoline stores about 9500 kWh/L and diesel stores ~10kWh/L. Take a 30 gallon tank of diesel and that is 1MWh of energy on board for about 210lb. A Tesla Model 3 has capacity of ~82kWh and weighs about 1000lb.

Also, take into account "recharge" time. An empty Tesla Model 3, at best, takes from 30min to an hour. An empty gas tank takes 10min.

So, clearly for short term trips, or trips with plenty of downtime, EVs have a real advantage. In terms of performance for sure. But for long trips, such as semi trucks, trains, airplanes, ships, etc., the energy density isn't quite there yet.
And that's optimal, with a fast charger. If you're plugging it in a standard outlet at home, don't plan on going anywhere for a day.

I'm still waiting for my fusion reactor. George Jetson and Doc Brown told me they're be here by now.

Reactions: Suudy

Also, take into account "recharge" time. An empty Tesla Model 3, at best, takes from 30min to an hour. At home it could take 8 hours. An empty gas tank takes 10min without any special equipment.

Well they will continue to develop the technology . On trains and buses how much can solar panels on top add to the cycle life of the battery? The things they will discover …

Well they will continue to develop the technology . On trains and buses how much can solar panels on top add to the cycle life of the battery? The things they will discover …
Without significant improvement in solar technology, almost nothing. The average panel outputs about 126Wh per square foot. Let's say every car has panels, and say an average length of 10,000ft. Say cars are about 10ft wide. So a total square footage of about 100,000sqft. So perhaps 1.26MWh. Under ideal conditions. Edit: Even with a 10x improvement, that's only 12.6MWh, nowhere close. There needs to be a 100x improvement in solar cell efficiency to get there--and that only works during the day.

A typical train uses about 3000gal of diesel for a 500mi trip (that's right, gallons per mile--and it still moves more freight per gallon burned--other than shipping--than any other transport mechanism). At ~10kWh/L (~38kW/gal), that is 113MWh for a single trip. With solar panels, it would still require an additional 112MWh for the trip. And only 82kWh/1000lbs, you'd have to pull an additional 682 tons in batteries to complete the trip. But that doesn't account for the weight of the batteries, so you have to add more batteries. The train would have to be incredibly long to carry enough energy in batteries to make the trip. And when you get there you have to recharge.

Even if you combined that with batteries (which weigh about 5x more for the same amount of energy), you still can't get an electric train to pull a load 500mi, much less cross country.

Maybe we get there. I don't think we do in our lifetimes. For my part, I don't think batteries are the future. The amount of materials required to create, maintenance, and lifetimes just aren't worth it. Hydrogen seems much more promising to me. It is a much higher density than batteries (though less than hydrocarbons), is much more available, but lacks the environmental impact. The trick there is generation, distribution, and storage.

Edit: But even if battery energy densities increased 10x, there's still the recharge time. IIRC, the average cost of a new diesel-electric locomotive is $2M+. Even if we had an purely electric locomotive that had a capacity of 113MWh and weighed the same as a current locomotive, the charge times would be a huge problem. Railroads run 24/7. The railroads would have huge amounts of capital invested in locomotives sitting there being charged. At a minimum, they'd double their capital costs. Right now, and I think for 30+ years, it just is not cost effective for anyone other than perhaps individuals to switch to EVs.

Last edited:
Without significant improvement in solar technology, almost nothing. The average panel outputs about 126Wh per square foot. Let's say every car has panels, and say an average length of 10,000ft. Say cars are about 10ft wide. So a total square footage of about 100,000sqft. So perhaps 1.26MWh. Under ideal conditions.

A typical train uses about 3000gal of diesel for a 500mi trip (that's right, gallons per mile--and it still moves more freight per gallon burned--other than shipping--than any other transport mechanism). At ~10kWh/L (~38kW/gal), that is 113MWh for a single trip.

Even if you combined that with batteries (which weigh about 5x more for the same amount of energy), you still can't get an electric train to pull a load 500mi, much less cross country.

Maybe we get there. I don't think we do in our lifetimes. For my part, I don't think batteries are the future. The amount of materials required to create, maintenance, and lifetimes just aren't worth it. Hydrogen seems much more promising to me. It is a much higher density than batteries (though less than hydrocarbons), is much more available, but lacks the environmental impact. The trick there is generation, distribution, and storage.
We need a 1960's "space program" urgency to develop some hydrogen/fuel cell option that can be replicated.

We need a 1960's "space program" urgency to develop some hydrogen/fuel cell option that can be replicated.
Economy will drive the urgency. Fuel cell technology has been available since the 1950s, but petroleum & batteries have been comparatively cheap. As overhead and scarcity narrow the cost gap, and manufacturers find ways to make fuel cells profitable, their availability will improve. Maybe our children will see it. I doubt we will.

The technology for the space program existed long before we used it...but the transistor (just one example from the space race) made it more feasible. I suspect that some high level focus on the fuel cell would have similar results.
Economy will drive the urgency. Fuel cell technology has been available since the 1950s, but petroleum & batteries have been comparatively cheap. As overhead and scarcity narrow the cost gap, and manufacturers find ways to make fuel cells profitable, their availability will improve. Maybe our children will see it. I doubt we will.

The technology for the space program existed long before we used it...but the transistor (just one example from the space race) made it more feasible. I suspect that some high level focus on the fuel cell would have similar results.
Ummm, the transistor pre-existed the space race. Invented in 1948. The MOSFET, the basis of 99.9999% of transistors in use today was created in 1959, possibly space race related. Possibly perfected during the space race, but not born of it.

Interesting side note: Walter Brattain, one of the 3 brains (along with Shokley and Bardeen) was a WA boy. Raised in Tonasket, Seattle, and more and went to Whitman. Buried in Pomeroy.

Last edited:
One benefit of the likelihood of greater international disharmony (e.g., with Russia and, especially if it attempts to take Taiwan, the PRC) and increased militarization could be increased investment in military R&D, particularly in space, by the western world. Europe might especially be interested and investing in these ways vastly in excess of what it has done in the past couple decades, particularly in view of energy security concerns. Wars, cold wars, and space races have been great drivers of innovation. Of course, there also are tremendous potential downsides.

Yeah, battery energy storage limitations, combined with diminishing returns due to battery weight, suggests that battery electric probably is not going to be the final solution (unless there is some quantum leap in battery tech). Long term, I'd put money on hydrogen electric, I think the chances are far better that they will come up with some workable inexpensive catalyst based method of hydrogen extraction (super algae), than coming up with game changing battery tech. They have been trying to improve battery performance for more than 125 years. The bottomline is, what metal is lighter than lithium? None. And there the problem lies.

Reactions: Suudy
Ummm, the transistor pre-existed the space race. Invented in 1948. The MOSFET, the basis of 99.9999% of transistors in use today was created in 1959, possibly space race related. Possibly perfected during the space race, but not born of it.

Interesting side note: Walter Brattain, one of the 3 brains (along with Shokley and Bardeen) was a WA boy. Raised in Tonasket, Seattle, and more and went to Whitman. Buried in Pomeroy.
Thanks, Suudy! I only knew that a workable, production capable version came out of the space program. I had no idea from whence it was developed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT