ADVERTISEMENT

Why so much gloom and doom re: Apple Cup 2018

What happened to this above? :p

Flat and Ed need to move on. Arguing with a child is pointless. Listening, guys?

That said, this is pretty funny. Our young, innocent pal Tron rants on Walden some more because he "only" went 3-6 in Apple Cup, but CML gets a pass for going 1-5 and Price gets a pass for going 3-11. Because we have been so far behind! Ok, so we weren't behind the mutts in talent back in the late 70's to mid-80's? Now I will take your advice, How, and move on.

Tron's wisdom:
The more you cling to Walden the more you cling to being a loser most of the time with no growth to really compete with the Huskies except for those rare occasional moments.

Leach will be able to beat the Huskies when that talent gap closes. We aren't that far away. The Huskies in recruiting are about as good as they are gonna get in recruiting. We have room for growth, and every year the gap gets closer and closer.

But to show you just how hard that is because we've been so far behind. Jason Gesser never won Apple Cup.

From 1999-2002 Durring one of our best runs. We came up 0-4. I don't rip on Mike Price for that.

well...it took me 30 seconds to type that.

Tron, just a final thought on this thread before I move on. We are going to be starting our #3 QB this year, we lost an OL and DL to the NFL and graduated other depth on both lines. While our receiving corps is deep, it's still relatively unproven (although getting Lewis back helps). We lost 2 of our top 3 running backs. There are a lot of questions this year.

And yet, despite all those concerns, the Vegas oddsmakers are putting the over/under for WSU's regular season at 7.5 wins.

C'mon Flatland, let's look at the bright side. Even this guy hoisted the Apple Cup Trophy one time ...

920x920.jpg

Reactions: Cougatron
In the old days, my generation, we directed our thoughts and wishes of ill will on the UW or some other opponent. Now we have a Cougar fan who hopes for some of his fellow Cougars to die off, the sooner the better? Way too much hate in this thread and on this board. Time for me to take a break.

Glad Cougar
Unfortui
Yes and the people in school in 1981 in 2018 will be buying depends soon shitting their pants just like they allowed WSU to deteriorate under the Walden Wulff standard.

Get out of the way of the younger generation. You all didn’t donate, produced no sustained success, and idolized a guy who didn’t win a single game his last year coaching football.

That’s your generations legacy.

What is the timeline suppose to indicate? Show me on the timeline where it shows Waldens team knocking the uw out of the Rose Bowl. Show me where the timeline gives context. Based on what you said Walden was responsible for Erickson's, Price, Doba Wullf and now Leach's record in the Apple Cup? He was 3-6 in the Apple Cup against a perennial power. A team that played for the conference championship almost every year but one and that team went to the Orange Bowl.

You mentioned Alabama and what would they put up within terms of losing records. What would Alabama do with a coach who is 1-5, three straight blowouts against their rival. Alabama would have fired Leach already, and if they let him stay another year and he loses and goes to 1-7 they would can him the day after the apple cup.

You dont live in reality. When discussing Dline depth you make believe a player not on the roster will be there this fall. You believe a walk on who has never played will be productive.

Let me ask you this...and by no means is the scenario threatening, nor would i ever get in an altercation because of words. But let me ask you the following as I believe the computer makes you braver than you really are. If I left my cell number on this page, promised I would never say a word, would you have the balls to say to me "the program will be better off when you are dead"? I don't think you do.

In terms of donations, you sure about that? If i recall correctly you bragged about not buying tickets and not donating in protest, is that correct? It would shock me if you even had season tickets.

What do you know about the 84 Apple Cup and what do you know about the 95 Mariners?

And yet, despite all those concerns, the Vegas oddsmakers are putting the over/under for WSU's regular season at 7.5 wins.

C'mon Flatland, let's look at the bright side. Even this guy hoisted the Apple Cup Trophy one time ...

If you read my post, I said that I don't think it's likely to happen. I personally see us at 7-5. I just think it's hilarious that Tron picks arbitrary absolutes and than ignores any facts that don't support his world view. Tron says that Walden sucks because his teams only won 46% of their games. If we did have a terrible season, Tron would find a way to blame it on Walden & Wulff just because that's how his weak ass arguments work. I'm pulling for us going to a fourth straight bowl game because I happen to think that Leach really is better than Walden, even though I don't think that Walden was the disaster for WSU that Tron thinks he was.

If you read my post, I said that I don't think it's likely to happen. I personally see us at 7-5. I just think it's hilarious that Tron picks arbitrary absolutes and than ignores any facts that don't support his world view. Tron says that Walden sucks because his teams only won 46% of their games. If we did have a terrible season, Tron would find a way to blame it on Walden & Wulff just because that's how his weak ass arguments work. I'm pulling for us going to a fourth straight bowl game because I happen to think that Leach really is better than Walden, even though I don't think that Walden was the disaster for WSU that Tron thinks he was.

If we have a terrible season it will have NOTHING to do with Wulff and Walden.. thankfully Bill Moos one of the greatest ADs in WSU history and the country got rid of them.

If we have a bad season I am pretty sure it is because of the following:
- We had a tragedy at the QB position and are looking for the next man up who doesn't have any game experience
- We had MASSIVE amount of rotation on coaching staff. A new DC, DB coach, Nickel Coach, OLB Coach and a new special teams, RB coach (moving over to change positions), WR coach.

That is MASSIVE turnover for a program, but that's what happens when you have success for 3 years.

Zimmer was a DC for 4 years and ended up a DB coach in the NFL. And now is a head coach in the NFL. That's what happens when you hire great assistants and have success. They get better jobs, unfortunately.

So you have to replace them and we had to replace A LOT, but the good news is that they all look like fine hires and depending on how fast they get their bearings we should be great.

But if we have a bad season it has nothing to do with Wulff/Walden. I think we will be just fine, but there is a lot of turnover and our single most important position suffered a tragedy, and that unfortunately can hurt our success chances. That's honest. That's the truth.

If we have a terrible season it will have NOTHING to do with Wulff and Walden.. thankfully Bill Moos one of the greatest ADs in WSU history and the country got rid of them.

If we have a bad season I am pretty sure it is because of the following:
- We had a tragedy at the QB position and are looking for the next man up who doesn't have any game experience
- We had MASSIVE amount of rotation on coaching staff. A new DC, DB coach, Nickel Coach, OLB Coach and a new special teams, RB coach (moving over to change positions), WR coach.

That is MASSIVE turnover for a program, but that's what happens when you have success for 3 years.

Zimmer was a DC for 4 years and ended up a DB coach in the NFL. And now is a head coach in the NFL. That's what happens when you hire great assistants and have success. They get better jobs, unfortunately.

So you have to replace them and we had to replace A LOT, but the good news is that they all look like fine hires and depending on how fast they get their bearings we should be great.

But if we have a bad season it has nothing to do with Wulff/Walden. I think we will be just fine, but there is a lot of turnover and our single most important position suffered a tragedy, and that unfortunately can hurt our success chances. That's honest. That's the truth.
Tron... the hiring of Zimmer by the cowboys had nothing to do with him being a great coach . He has 50/50 success. He had 1990 and 1991 and they were representable in 1992. They slipped a little in 93 and once he was gone they had a great defense . He was hired because of his relationship with Dave Campo who he coached with at Weber. And Switzer let Campo hire a db coach... then when switzer started dating Campos wife all hell broke loose in Dallas . No one at the time thought anyone who price hired was a great coach

Tron... the hiring of Zimmer by the cowboys had nothing to do with him being a great coach . He has 50/50 success. He had 1990 and 1991 and they were representable in 1992. They slipped a little in 93 and once he was gone they had a great defense . He was hired because of his relationship with Dave Campo who he coached with at Weber. And Switzer let Campo hire a db coach... then when switzer started dating Campos wife all hell broke loose in Dallas . No one at the time thought anyone who price hired was a great coach

In 1993 Ed the Cougs defense ranked 8th in the nation in total defense and 2nd in rushing defense.
in 1992 they went to the Copper bowl and won.

As always anyone who is truly successful at WSU you try to belittle their achievement.

In 1993 Ed the Cougs defense ranked 8th in the nation in total defense and 2nd in rushing defense.
in 1992 they went to the Copper bowl and won.

As always anyone who is truly successful at WSU you try to belittle their achievement.
Ummm...simply pointing out "The Truth" as you would call it. The truth is Zimmer would not have got the call from the NFL if he didn't know Campo. If Erickson didn't know Sam J he would have never been on the list for Miami. Zimmer back in the day at WSU wasn't seen as the next great coach. He just wasn't.

And this is why you need to look a bit closer. Here are the scores we gave up in 1993 in the era of the huddle. 41 to Michigan, 34 to USC, 46 to UCLA, 40 to Oregon. Then we gave up 14 points to Montana State, 0 to Pacific, 9 to Arizona, 26 to Washington and another 26 to ASU.

Zimmer was a good coach, but he wasn't thought of as NFL material and he didn't have a bunch of schools coming after him. He got his gig solely because of his connection to Dave Campo.

Sorry you some how feel it diminishes his accomplishments as it does not. But back in the day people were much more impressed with Doba.

Ummm...simply pointing out "The Truth" as you would call it. The truth is Zimmer would not have got the call from the NFL if he didn't know Campo. If Erickson didn't know Sam J he would have never been on the list for Miami. Zimmer back in the day at WSU wasn't seen as the next great coach. He just wasn't.

And this is why you need to look a bit closer. Here are the scores we gave up in 1993 in the era of the huddle. 41 to Michigan, 34 to USC, 46 to UCLA, 40 to Oregon. Then we gave up 14 points to Montana State, 0 to Pacific, 9 to Arizona, 26 to Washington and another 26 to ASU.

Zimmer was a good coach, but he wasn't thought of as NFL material and he didn't have a bunch of schools coming after him. He got his gig solely because of his connection to Dave Campo.

Sorry you some how feel it diminishes his accomplishments as it does not. But back in the day people were much more impressed with Doba.

Doba hadn't been a major conference DC yet and nobody knew who he was except from the citadel. He was in fact LB coach under Zimmer and wouldn't have gotten the DC gig had Zimmer not left.

He got the Gig because he was a good coach Ed, AND he also knew Dave Campo. Just like a lot of coaches who get hired, they hire people they not only know, but are also high quality. Campo's career spanned many places... INCLUDING WSU. in 1976. And also Weber State and he hired the BEST coach he knew.

Because THEY BOTH WORKED FOR MIKE PRICE YOU DUMMY. Mike Price was the HC of Weber State Campo also worked for Mike Price as did Zimmer.

If He is going to be the DC he needed to hire a DC he knew he could trust of good quality. And thus he hired a great coach in ZImmer. Maybe a dumb dumb like yourself didn't see it, but he was very accomplished as a DC doing what your lover Walden could never do. Win an actual bowl game for WSU.

Doba hadn't been a major conference DC yet and nobody knew who he was except from the citadel. He was in fact LB coach under Zimmer and wouldn't have gotten the DC gig had Zimmer not left.

He got the Gig because he was a good coach Ed, AND he also knew Dave Campo. Just like a lot of coaches who get hired, they hire people they not only know, but are also high quality. Campo's career spanned many places... INCLUDING WSU. in 1976. And also Weber State and he hired the BEST coach he knew.

Because THEY BOTH WORKED FOR MIKE PRICE YOU DUMMY. Mike Price was the HC of Weber State Campo also worked for Mike Price as did Zimmer.

If He is going to be the DC he needed to hire a DC he knew he could trust of good quality. And thus he hired a great coach in ZImmer. Maybe a dumb dumb like yourself didn't see it, but he was very accomplished as a DC doing what your lover Walden could never do. Win an actual bowl game for WSU.
Good grief Tron. Good job going to wiki. But your numbers and information have to have context.

I said Doba was thought of more highly of than Zimmer. I didn’t say prior to 1993. What you don’t get is many around the cougar community thought price was a dud, a clapping clown . They thought he should be fired. Since you are into research look up 1990 and tell me what you find. Tell me about the player revolt. Like Price, many thought the ENTIRE staff was over their head. As to Zimmer he continued to grow as a coach, but he wasn’t some shining star that programs were after . People didn’t say let’s go after that hot young coach. Grinch right or wrong was a mover . People knew he was going places . Zimmer has the right one contact. But in your research why did you leave out 1989, 1990, and 1991, and why did you leave out the most important stat? Scorning defense . When I say your stats don’t mean squat cause there is context to them. I am glad Zimmer ran with the opportunity. Since you know how well coaches are respected from an era you weren’t even around , tell me all the offers Joe Tiller had and how did he do at WSU ?

But I do have one inportant question. Are you emboldened by your anonymity on this board. You now have said several things I tend to believe you wouldn’t say live . One, “you can’t wait until people of my generation are taking a dirt nap and two you have now called me a dummy and three questioned my donations .

So I have two questions . One if I were to leave my phone number here would you dare say those things live over the phone ? And two, would you like to make a large wager over something you believe you are right on and I have yet to prove you wrong ...but I can . And since you don’t think I donate if I can’t prove my informations is correct I will donate 30000 to the program in the name of Tron...BUT if I win you have to donate it in the name of Eric and Mark . My guess is you will be what Mike Damone called Rat in Fast Time at Ridgemont High ...

Last edited:
Good grief Tron. Good job going to wiki. But your numbers and information have to have context.

I said Doba was thought of more highly of than Zimmer. I didn’t say prior to 1993. What you don’t get is many around the cougar community thought price was a dud, a clapping clown . They thought he should be fired. Since you are into research look up 1990 and tell me what you find. Tell me about the player revolt. Like Price, many thought the ENTIRE staff was over their head. As to Zimmer he continued to grow as a coach, but he wasn’t some shining star that programs were after . People didn’t say let’s go after that hot young coach. Grinch right or wrong was a mover . People knew he was going places . Zimmer has the right one contact. But in your research why did you leave out 1989, 1990, and 1991, and why did you leave out the most important stat? Scorning defense . When I say your stats don’t mean squat cause there is context to them. I am glad Zimmer ran with the opportunity. Since you know how well coaches are respected from an era you weren’t even around , tell me all the offers Joe Tiller had and how did he do at WSU ?

But I do have one inportant question. Are you emboldened by your anonymity on this board. You now have said several things I tend to believe you wouldn’t say live . One, “you can’t wait until people of my generation are taking a dirt nap and two you have now called me a dummy and three questioned my donations .

So I have two questions . One if I were to leave my phone number here would you dare say those things live over the phone ? And two, would you like to make a large wager over something you believe you are right on and I have yet to prove you wrong ...but I can . And since you don’t think I donate if I can’t prove my informations is correct I will donate 30000 to the program in the name of Tron...BUT if I win you have to donate it in the name of Eric and Mark . My guess is you will be what Mike Damone called Rat in Fast Time at Ridgemont High ...

Stats are fact Ed. it is the result, and the result has no emotions or perceptions attached to it. It is just the result.

I am not emboldened by anything, not by anonymity, not by being right, by absolutely nothing. When you see the words that are typed here and they are harsh and blunt it is specifically because of your willingness to remain intransigent in the face of facts that contradict your assertions. I look at all factors when I evaluate something and ask myself some very important questions. Why is it this way? What are the reasons behind it being this way? What are the historical results? Are there similar instances upon which I can draw a comparative sample. That is analysis Ed. That's how analysis works.

You on the other hand come in with a line of thinking that is. Focused only on your own perceptions, completely devoid of comparative analysis, play entirely to your own personal bias, and lack any objective thought.

When you make statements like "Jim Walden was the best coach we ever had", that is something that is factually inaccurate through analysis. Jim Walden's performance only lives in your own head of that caliber. When analyzed the actual performance, over his career, it is clear that he is not, but save from your "fond memories" you refuse to accept that reality. You cling to your perception in spite of the actual historical facts, and then make excuses to try and justify your warped perception.

When you make statements like "the 2014 class was a disaster" it is very clear that the class was not a disaster because it produced several players that contributed immensely to the success of the program over the past 3 years. If the class was a total disaster, then there would be no contributions of that kind, nor any success after that class. That would be a "total disaster", but that is not the case, and when presented with information that shows not only the number of players that had success, but also the number of players who can possibly reach the apex of contributing from a 25 player class in conjunctions with other players from 25 player classes you refuse to accept it as fact. Your mind is made up, you went with your emotional evaluation instead of an analytical one, and so despite contrary information provide you are stuck living in your own warped and skewed view point.

It is okay to be wrong Ed. That's how you learn. Nothing bad happens to you if you are wrong about your perceptions. Your perceptions just become better. But if you refuse to learn, then guess what. You will always be wrong, and that's kind of the problem, that despite being proven wrong you never give yourself the opportunity to reevaluate and recalibrate your viewpoints so they can be right with a sharp perception.

In the end you end up doing yourself a disservice as a fan because instead of absolutely being thrilled and enjoying the success we are having today you are bitterly clinging to your preconceived notions.

When you look at the history of WSU having sustained sucess is NOT the history of the program, and that is something that all fans SHOULD want. So if you want to do something you have never done before, then you have to do things differently than you have done in the past, and that may be hard for some people that cling to old ideas and preconceived notions.

Mike Price for as great as he was as a coach, followed a boom bust model for success. He was excellent in the 4 year cycle for success building a team up from youth till they were upperclassmen... (then getting that breakout year) and then having to do it all over again.

The problem with such a model is that well you have a lot of down years in between the great ones. Towards the end of his tenure he figured out how to make it more sustainable and thus the consecutive winning seasons, which was great. Wish we had kept him but it is what it is and we tried to maintain that success with Doba.

The problem was Doba wasn't nearly as good as Price at maintaining the success, and the program slid backwards towards medicority with no real success. Just consistent medicority.

Doba went (after the 10 year season)
5-7
4-6
6-6
5-7

There was no elevation, just a complete flatline of medicority, and for WSU as a program that hurt.

But when WSU was looking to make a return to elevation we went backwards with Wulff, and Walden was a part of pushing for that. His way of thinking is not conducive to long term success, he's never accomplished that anywhere he has been in his career.

the result is 9-40 and for 4 years when WSU needed to take the next step forward we took a step back.

Then Leach enters who had to turn around the program but had his work cut out for him. The drop from Doba and the pitfall from Wulff left the program with an entire generation never seeing WSU be winners, no recruiting pedigree, and just a few smattering of decent players (Buchanon, Long, Williams, etc.) despite the lies of a "magic eye for talent".

The initial revamping of the program and rewiring it for success would be difficult, but Leach delivered in his second season, and despite the bowl game slipping away it was clear that Leach could do things quickly, again there was a setback but then a surge forward in 2015 just like in Price's year 4, but this time it was sustainable. 2016 a winning season, 2017 a winning season, and now WSU is starting to reap the benefits of consistent success.

Is there room for improvement? Absolutely, but the most important thing for the program is the building of consistent sustained success. Upgrading talent, upgrading facilities, upgrading, coaching staff. That is program building and WSU has ALWAYS needed that.

Price was there at the end of his career establishing it, but obviously he left, but here we are again, but this time a school didn't poach our HC (despite the likely possibility of it happening, we lucked out that Tennesse is a tire fire, and now we can enjoy that building process longer).

Walden, Wulff, Doba should not be celebrated for their medicority. You can remember that occasional game they did something well, but that isn't what WSU should be about. It should be about building and sustained success. This includes critiques of Mike Price's boom/bust cyle. The boom is good, the bust is not, but the final years were excellent.

Leach is doing something currently for WSU that is exceptionally important for the long standing health of the program, and that should be VERY excited, and should be celebrated. Will he be the "greatest WSU coach" of all time... probably not, but he will be remembered for laying the foundation for that person to arrive if he keeps going. The foundation is something that WSU has never really had, and now that it is being laid it is a very exciting time, and yet you cling to your preconceived bitter ideas, and honestly that does nothing positive for WSU or yourself. It will only leave you being left behind.

Oh, look, a weenie-wagging contest! Just for diversity's sake, you should include Loil. Btw, I had no idea Money Tree paid that well, or is this money left over from your days cashing in on the deregulatory mess that led to the 2008 crash?
Finally, who are "eric and mark"? Did you just give away the real names of posters here? Wait! You've done this twice before! hahahah

Stats are fact Ed. it is the result, and the result has no emotions or perceptions attached to it. It is just the result.

I am not emboldened by anything, not by anonymity, not by being right, by absolutely nothing. When you see the words that are typed here and they are harsh and blunt it is specifically because of your willingness to remain intransigent in the face of facts that contradict your assertions. I look at all factors when I evaluate something and ask myself some very important questions. Why is it this way? What are the reasons behind it being this way? What are the historical results? Are there similar instances upon which I can draw a comparative sample. That is analysis Ed. That's how analysis works.

You on the other hand come in with a line of thinking that is. Focused only on your own perceptions, completely devoid of comparative analysis, play entirely to your own personal bias, and lack any objective thought.

When you make statements like "Jim Walden was the best coach we ever had", that is something that is factually inaccurate through analysis. Jim Walden's performance only lives in your own head of that caliber. When analyzed the actual performance, over his career, it is clear that he is not, but save from your "fond memories" you refuse to accept that reality. You cling to your perception in spite of the actual historical facts, and then make excuses to try and justify your warped perception.

When you make statements like "the 2014 class was a disaster" it is very clear that the class was not a disaster because it produced several players that contributed immensely to the success of the program over the past 3 years. If the class was a total disaster, then there would be no contributions of that kind, nor any success after that class. That would be a "total disaster", but that is not the case, and when presented with information that shows not only the number of players that had success, but also the number of players who can possibly reach the apex of contributing from a 25 player class in conjunctions with other players from 25 player classes you refuse to accept it as fact. Your mind is made up, you went with your emotional evaluation instead of an analytical one, and so despite contrary information provide you are stuck living in your own warped and skewed view point.

It is okay to be wrong Ed. That's how you learn. Nothing bad happens to you if you are wrong about your perceptions. Your perceptions just become better. But if you refuse to learn, then guess what. You will always be wrong, and that's kind of the problem, that despite being proven wrong you never give yourself the opportunity to reevaluate and recalibrate your viewpoints so they can be right with a sharp perception.

In the end you end up doing yourself a disservice as a fan because instead of absolutely being thrilled and enjoying the success we are having today you are bitterly clinging to your preconceived notions.

When you look at the history of WSU having sustained sucess is NOT the history of the program, and that is something that all fans SHOULD want. So if you want to do something you have never done before, then you have to do things differently than you have done in the past, and that may be hard for some people that cling to old ideas and preconceived notions.

Mike Price for as great as he was as a coach, followed a boom bust model for success. He was excellent in the 4 year cycle for success building a team up from youth till they were upperclassmen... (then getting that breakout year) and then having to do it all over again.

The problem with such a model is that well you have a lot of down years in between the great ones. Towards the end of his tenure he figured out how to make it more sustainable and thus the consecutive winning seasons, which was great. Wish we had kept him but it is what it is and we tried to maintain that success with Doba.

The problem was Doba wasn't nearly as good as Price at maintaining the success, and the program slid backwards towards medicority with no real success. Just consistent medicority.

Doba went (after the 10 year season)
5-7
4-6
6-6
5-7

There was no elevation, just a complete flatline of medicority, and for WSU as a program that hurt.

But when WSU was looking to make a return to elevation we went backwards with Wulff, and Walden was a part of pushing for that. His way of thinking is not conducive to long term success, he's never accomplished that anywhere he has been in his career.

the result is 9-40 and for 4 years when WSU needed to take the next step forward we took a step back.

Then Leach enters who had to turn around the program but had his work cut out for him. The drop from Doba and the pitfall from Wulff left the program with an entire generation never seeing WSU be winners, no recruiting pedigree, and just a few smattering of decent players (Buchanon, Long, Williams, etc.) despite the lies of a "magic eye for talent".

The initial revamping of the program and rewiring it for success would be difficult, but Leach delivered in his second season, and despite the bowl game slipping away it was clear that Leach could do things quickly, again there was a setback but then a surge forward in 2015 just like in Price's year 4, but this time it was sustainable. 2016 a winning season, 2017 a winning season, and now WSU is starting to reap the benefits of consistent success.

Is there room for improvement? Absolutely, but the most important thing for the program is the building of consistent sustained success. Upgrading talent, upgrading facilities, upgrading, coaching staff. That is program building and WSU has ALWAYS needed that.

Price was there at the end of his career establishing it, but obviously he left, but here we are again, but this time a school didn't poach our HC (despite the likely possibility of it happening, we lucked out that Tennesse is a tire fire, and now we can enjoy that building process longer).

Walden, Wulff, Doba should not be celebrated for their medicority. You can remember that occasional game they did something well, but that isn't what WSU should be about. It should be about building and sustained success. This includes critiques of Mike Price's boom/bust cyle. The boom is good, the bust is not, but the final years were excellent.

Leach is doing something currently for WSU that is exceptionally important for the long standing health of the program, and that should be VERY excited, and should be celebrated. Will he be the "greatest WSU coach" of all time... probably not, but he will be remembered for laying the foundation for that person to arrive if he keeps going. The foundation is something that WSU has never really had, and now that it is being laid it is a very exciting time, and yet you cling to your preconceived bitter ideas, and honestly that does nothing positive for WSU or yourself. It will only leave you being left behind.

Tron so much to unpack. First, your post tells me exactly "who" you are. I do crack up when you tell me what and how I should enjoy Cougar football. Just so you know, I have always enjoyed Cougar football. 3-7-1 or 7-3-1. (that is why I donated more during the Wulff, not less). I have very much enjoyed the last 6 years, and although we are still floating around .500 I would enjoy it if we were at a .600 clip or .400 clip.

Did I have an out of body experience and say Walden was the best ever? I don't recall writing that. Just so I am am clear, Walden was GREAT FOR WSU. He came at a time when someone didn't see WSU as a stepping stone. (funny btw you mentioned how good Sherrill was despite only winning three games...numbers don't lie, remember?) Walden was a good coach. He had his flaws, but he was what WSU NEEDED at that time. Kind of like the Mariners needed the run in 1995 to stay in Seattle. No amount of numbers you try and dig up will ever explain that worth. I am glad we aren't in the WAC. Do you get how close that was to a reality?

Waldens record mirrored that of the program. But he did win games against the UW at their dominance and most games were competitive. Which was the point of this four page discussion on the Apple Cup.

I suppose I have a loser mentality in terms of expectation. I expect from the program proportionately what the fans and administration put into it. Why would I EXPECT 8/10 wins when we have a 3/5 wins a year budget and support. What Price, Walden and Leach have done is nothing short of outstanding.

In terms of Leach building something for the next guy you are fooling yourself on several fronts. Mike Leach is building WSU with his name, take away his name and what do you have? Mike Leach is the football program. Without him you have a program with the smallest stadium in the Pac 12, and my guess is the least amount of bodies on a game to game basis in the Pac 12 (not paid attendance). Maybe Cal has worse game day attendance. We don't have an indoor practice facility and it is clear the hatchet is coming out. The next coach at WSU isn't going to get paid "going wages". They may pay up to 2 mil a year. And that may be a stretch depending how deep the cuts will be.

What did Leach build at Tech, what did Kelly build at Oregon? The next guys never had their success. The next guy very unlikely to have Leach's success. We saw that with Doba once he took over for Price. There is only one Price, only one Kelly and only one Leach.

Oh, look, a weenie-wagging contest! Just for diversity's sake, you should include Loil. Btw, I had no idea Money Tree paid that well, or is this money left over from your days cashing in on the deregulatory mess that led to the 2008 crash?
Finally, who are "eric and mark"? Did you just give away the real names of posters here? Wait! You've done this twice before! hahahah

Nope...no measuring....simply trying to put the much needed money into the Cougs piggy bank.

Hmmm...not sure how I would have cashed in on the deregulatory mess. But I am sure you would have a vivid imagination.

Oh giving away the names of posters---- even when you have posted both first and last names on this site, and you still haven't told us why. Seems pretty weird.

First names are pretty benign. And when you were stalking and you posted the first name of a fellow coworker (you get how weird that is, right) and you name the company I work for is a bit different than saying--Joe for example. Or even Joe who works for the Bank. There are tons of Joe's around. Joe by itself doesn't mean crap.BTW only you would feel the need to give people a fake name.

But you get everything has context. You get why you keep getting posts deleted..correct? See if I said Carolyn from Texas, doesn't mean much. Or if I would say free Willy from the state of Washington, or Nanook, or Future, it really doesn't mean much.

Again, you are the one who went dumpster diving, picked out an innocent party thinking posting her name and where she worked was somehow cute. Just clarified who you are, that is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT