ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread. WSU vs. FSU

Imagine you’re COCoug… You’re working the fries at McDonald’s…. The next year you get bumped up. Awesome right! You’re now the manager of the store. And a year later you get ownership of the store! Hell yeah! Even better. Then 2 years later the CEO gets fired. You get the job! You’re now the CEO of the company! Fck yeah!

Is it possible that COCoug goes from fries to manager to owner to CEO in short order and does an amazing job? Yes it is. Is it likely? Nope. Way too much knowledge missing. Way too little experience. Easily tons of other more qualified candidates too. The leap is just too great to overcome.

Jake Dickfore ….

2018 asst at Wyoming
2019 DC at Wyoming
2020 DC at WSU
2021 interim HC at WSU
2022 HC at WSU

Coaching safeties to $2,700,000 head coach inside 5 years?

You’re wondering what’s going on in the offices. Lemme tell you, the staff is wondering too. They are not 5-1 because of the staff. They are 5-1 in spite of the staff AND the weakest schedule in 50 years at WSU.

48% passer. Holy fck!

I know that you are a coaching god who would do amazing things at WSU, but here is Fresno State's home record in the past four seasons (prior to our game):

2021: 5-1
2022: 5-1
2023: 5-1
2024: 2-0

They have a lot of mediocre opponents buried in those home records...but they are a tough team to beat at home. There are obviously a lot of issues that we need to figure out, but your disrespectful attitude towards Dickert is hilariously pathetic. I'm not happy with Arbuckle and Mateer looked terrible yesterday but your insecurities with regards to Dickert make you look kind of stupid.

Texas Tech is 5-1 and on top of the Big 12. Boise State is 5-1 and on track to be in the college football playoff. Washington is 4-3 and knocked off Michigan. San Jose State is 4-2 (although losing to CSU is a bad sign). Fresno State is 3-3. Outside of our games, our FBS opponents are a combined 20-6. We have not played a creampuff schedule so far and you are an idiot for implying that it is.

Has the Church of the Right Way shown up to condemn anyone speaking against 48% completions??? I bet they have. lol

48% is inexcusable for a starting qb,
It’s excusable if you are playing at Alabama and you’re getting your dick planted in the dirt every snap by NFL caliber players. It’s inexcusable when you are playing Fresno State and you have 5 seconds to throw. Mateer was aweful and so was Arbuckle. I’ve seen what Mateer CAN do, he’s very limited on drop back make reads and throw receivers open on time. Generally he can’t do it. But you can still run an offense against college defenses that puts up 30+ a game with his skill set. Massive fail the last two games by Arbuckle. He should be on the hot seat, I don’t give a shit that they are 5-1.

You refer to Leach didn't he lose to Portland State and Eastern ? Wasn't he slightly over .500...

Yes bench Mateer... and Rosenbach in 87, as he had 13 TD's and 24 picks and probably five picks for TD's

Do you bench these two Qb's... Stats are season ending. 11 td's and 11 picks and 18 TD's and 13 picks?

People wanted to get rid of Ward, now he is a Heisman finalist. Emmet Brown is having a nice season at San Jose...

If this was the Pac 12 , coukd WSU beat UCLA, UW, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, Utah,CU, OSU and even USC?

Fresno is a solid team at home...

UW was 12-0 and had numerous ugly games... Stanford, ASU (had game won), WSU just off the top of my head. So a win is a win. Yes they need to clean stuff up. I saw Fa'amoe start to really play well and open stuff up for Parker, and Parker will see the film and see he probably had two holes which would have given him a chance at 6.

On defense Keith Brown starting to make plays .

Back in the old days when we used the JC for our receivers you could almost book it, it took those transfer the first five games to learn how to put on their jocks . Then from game six on they took off. I think there are a couple of players that will start playing like they belong .
Benching Mateer is extreme. There’s zero chance you bench a QB on a 5-1 team especially with what he’s capable of with competent game planning and play calling. But, time for him to come back to earth. He’s not a QB right now he’s an athlete that can make a good throw on one read sometimes. The Heisman talk was ridiculous.

As fur Arbyckle he’s not going anywhere mid season either, but Dickert better be lighting his ass up and putting him on notice. He has been hot garbage two straight games. Understand your personnel and design a game plan that plays to their strengths. That’s a coordinators job. He’s failing miserably right now. And I’d argue other than a brief stretch he failed with Ward too.

Reactions: ATACFD
I heard listening to Post Game last night Dickert is now 20-17 as WSU head coach.

I’m curious, historians. Has there ever been a head football coach win 20 games at WSU faster than Jake Dickert??
I love Dickert. And I give him a lot of credit for this. Particularly under the circumstances he took over the team and righted the ship.

He deserves a ton of credit for this team being 5-1. Boise State was disappointing but that’s one of the tougher road games in CFB that was going to be a long shot to win.

But good coaches need to make tough decisions. If Arbuckle continues to struggle at his job it’s going to cost us games. I trust Dickert is putting him on notice. He needs to figure it out or a new OC needs to be brought in after this season.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Benching Mateer is extreme. There’s zero chance you bench a QB on a 5-1 team especially with what he’s capable of with competent game planning and play calling. But, time for him to come back to earth. He’s not a QB right now he’s an athlete that can make a good throw on one read sometimes. The Heisman talk was ridiculous.

As fur Arbyckle he’s not going anywhere mid season either, but Dickert better be lighting his ass up and putting him on notice. He has been hot garbage two straight games. Understand your personnel and design a game plan that plays to their strengths. That’s a coordinators job. He’s failing miserably right now. And I’d argue other than a brief stretch he failed with Ward too.
Mateer is fine. But yes our playcalling sucks. We continue to run the ball up the gut (RB's and Mateer) even though they are stacking the box. Isn't that when you are supposed to run plays to the outside? Have we yet to run a little Mateer/Parker option around end? How about rollout/sprint out passes with a pulling lineman and the RB leading?

IMHO opinion Mateer looks great on many throws, mostly looks like shit when he tosses it long into coverage. We are still dropping some balls. Maybe he's fastballing it in too hard on some of the short passes. Wish he would quit with the sidearm delivery. 18-46 rushing. Take out the 3 sacks for what - 50 yards - and he was pretty good. but sacks or no sacks, your QB should not have as many or more carries that the rest of the team combined.

Janikowski was a bright spot. 2/2 on FG's and a 51-yard punting average? I think he is out of his funk.

DB's go torched all game, but the 2 int's made up for it. Should have been 3 if not for that dipshit roughing the passer call. You can't lower your head on the QB ever, especially not after he has thrown the ball.

You will not improve or advance your football program by embracing excuses, refusing to be honest about performances or refusing to hold coaches and players accountable for poor performances.

Don’t believe me? Alabama is transitioning right now from those things to not having those things. Saban was not an easy man to work with or for. He refused to embrace excuses. He demanded honesty and accountability. He has a fist full of rings and his players had $1,000,000,000 in NFL contracts this season.

Go ahead, hate me for saying 48% completion isn’t good enough. Shame me for pointing out that Dickfore said they won in spite of his coaching after the San Jose game. I don’t care.

Reactions: ATACFD
Did you get to see the game yesterday?

Because it sounds like you had to work again and didn’t get to see the game.

You have just as much knowledge about what it was like to work”with” or “for” Saban as I do

Last edited:
You will not improve or advance your football program by embracing excuses, refusing to be honest about performances or refusing to hold coaches and players accountable for poor performances.

Don’t believe me? Alabama is transitioning right now from those things to not having those things. Saban was not an easy man to work with or for. He refused to embrace excuses. He demanded honesty and accountability. He has a fist full of rings and his players had $1,000,000,000 in NFL contracts this season.

Go ahead, hate me for saying 48% completion isn’t good enough. Shame me for pointing out that Dickfore said they won in spite of his coaching after the San Jose game. I don’t care.
I think that comparing Dickert and WSU to Saban and Alabama is pretty relevant. Apples to apples.

• Haha
Reactions: Coug90
Do you think they lived up to their own expectations? Do you think Dickfore is gonna turn on the film today and say “yeah, this was as good as we could expect.”

A 48% passer compared to other WSU passers in their first 6 games? Sit down and shut the fck up with that horse shit.

A 48% passer gets benched. He doesn’t even get to finish the game under Leach.

Holy tap dancing Moses. What won’t you make excuses for?

Lol I bet you get big mad at me though. Not a 48% passer, not bad coaching, big mad at me for saying your standards are non existent.
Remember last year when you wanted Ward benched? I do. The best players play.

Mateer is the new mencke, goof athlete weak qb

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Imagine you’re COCoug… You’re working the fries at McDonald’s…. The next year you get bumped up. Awesome right! You’re now the manager of the store. And a year later you get ownership of the store! Hell yeah! Even better. Then 2 years later the CEO gets fired. You get the job! You’re now the CEO of the company! Fck yeah!

Is it possible that COCoug goes from fries to manager to owner to CEO in short order and does an amazing job? Yes it is. Is it likely? Nope. Way too much knowledge missing. Way too little experience. Easily tons of other more qualified candidates too. The leap is just too great to overcome.

Jake Dickfore ….

2018 asst at Wyoming
2019 DC at Wyoming
2020 DC at WSU
2021 interim HC at WSU
2022 HC at WSU

You’re wondering what’s going on in the offices. Lemme tell you, the staff is wondering too. They are not 5-1 because of the staff. They are 5-1 in spite of the staff AND the weakest schedule in 50 years at WSU.

48% passer. Holy fck!
You’re still moping the floors and emptying the grease, right?

Mateer is the new mencke, goof athlete weak qb
How many games did Paul Mencke, a walk-on from Spokane, start at QB for WSU? That’s right, zero.

Some of you Mateer haters are having a tuff-time showing your 5-1 QB a little respect for what he Does bring to the table.

How many games did Paul Mencke, a walk-on from Spokane, start at QB for WSU? That’s right, zero.

Some of you Mateer haters are having a tuff-time showing your 5-1 QB a little respect for what he Does bring to the table.
Um, actually that is not accurate at all. Mencke started 3 games in 1998. He was a walk-on, but I assume he received a scholarship at some point. Can't find confirmation of that.

Well, your comparisons suck. Look up Mencke’s stats, wins and overall play. Not really any comparison. Mateer is a much better QB and athlete.
Mateer's stats so far:

89/153, 1429 yards. 58.2%, 9.3 yds per attempt. 13 TD, 5 ints. 77 carries, 453 yards, 5.9 YPC. 5 TD's. Rushing includes -112 yards on his 13 sacks. Still leading the team in attempts and yards. Without the sacks he's averaging 8.8 YPC.

But yeah he sucks and deserves all the criticism that we can muster.

Jake Dickfore ….

2018 asst at Wyoming
2019 DC at Wyoming
2020 DC at WSU
2021 interim HC at WSU
2022 HC at WSU

48% passer. Holy fck!
You don’t seem jealous. Not at all. Zero percent. None whatsoever.

Go ahead, hate me for saying 48% completion isn’t good enough.
I don't hate you. Its classic Cougar "fan" psychology worrying that an 8 point win on the road wasn't aesthetically pleasing. For decades Cougar fans have consoled themselves with loss after loss, but telling ourselves we won in some meaningless stat or another. Now we have to listen to griping about wins where we don't dominate in one meaningless stat or another. Either way- nobody else cares.

This may be hard to understand, but there is only one stat that matters, and that is scoring more points than the other team. If you do that, talking about all of this other crap show a real lack of understanding of the game. If we lose, then go ahead. Hope you are sitting down, but it is totally fine with me if we lose every single statistical battle as long as we win, and pass completiong is one of the dumbest of the dumb stats.

And BTW- these first 6 games were as hard as our typical first 6 games in the PAC12. We would normally play 4 non-conference and 2 in conference at this point in time, Playing Portland State, San Jose, Fresno State and Boise State would have been a pretty respectable non-conference schedule, and UW and Texas Tech would have been similar or more difficult than any first 2 games in the PAC12 schedule.

I don't hate you. Its classic Cougar "fan" psychology worrying that an 8 point win on the road wasn't aesthetically pleasing. For decades Cougar fans have consoled themselves with loss after loss, but telling ourselves we won in some meaningless stat or another. Now we have to listen to griping about wins where we don't dominate in one meaningless stat or another. Either way- nobody else cares.

This may be hard to understand, but there is only one stat that matters, and that is scoring more points than the other team. If you do that, talking about all of this other crap show a real lack of understanding of the game. If we lose, then go ahead. Hope you are sitting down, but it is totally fine with me if we lose every single statistical battle as long as we win, and pass completiong is one of the dumbest of the dumb stats.

And BTW- these first 6 games were as hard as our typical first 6 games in the PAC12. We would normally play 4 non-conference and 2 in conference at this point in time, Playing Portland State, San Jose, Fresno State and Boise State would have been a pretty respectable non-conference schedule, and UW and Texas Tech would have been similar or more difficult than any first 2 games in the PAC12 schedule.

It is possible to win and look poorly coached doing it. It isn’t sustainable. Poor coaching will eventually catch up to your program. Burying your head in the sand and ignoring it isn’t how you run a program.

What’s hard for you to understand is that WSU isn’t 5-1 because of the coaching. They are 5-1 in spite of the coaching. That isn’t what you want.

Barely getting past SJSU and having your HC announce on TV after the game he was out coached isn’t what you want.

Getting drubbed by Boise State isn’t what you want.

Barely getting past Fresno State and lucky to do so isn’t a ringing endorsement of your coaching.

Dickfore could easily be 0-3 in Mtn West play. But yeah, winning is all that matters.

It is possible to win and look poorly coached doing it. It isn’t sustainable. Poor coaching will eventually catch up to your program. Burying your head in the sand and ignoring it isn’t how you run a program.

What’s hard for you to understand is that WSU isn’t 5-1 because of the coaching. They are 5-1 in spite of the coaching. That isn’t what you want.

Barely getting past SJSU and having your HC announce on TV after the game he was out coached isn’t what you want.

Barely getting past Fresno State and lucky to do so isn’t a ringing endorsement of your coaching.

Dickfore could easily be 0-3 in Mtn West play. But yeah, winning is all that matters.
Versus losing to Boise Eastern and Portland State .

Simply making a comparison
Not even a close comparison. A better comparison is Jake Locker and Marquis Tui. He is a fastball pitcher that hasnt developed other pitches and may never. However he still makes plays that moves the ball, makes a great play for a first down. Yeah he makes a play like tossing another pic.

But he may be a player you don't judge by completions. Hell how many completions did Falk, Bender, Halliday , Gordon And Minshew have against the Huskies .... sometimes players develop and I hope Mateer does however he may just win in other ways

Disagree a little...

I don't think the coaching was bad against fuw and TexascTech.

But I will always believe coaches need to work and improve just like the players.

I feel like our coaches right now have a really hard time "adjusting" after everyone watches us play our first 4 games.

That and we seem to suck ass defensively on the 1st position of games

Well now - nitpick fact checker here - the Pac-12 played 9 conference games so we would not have had 4 OOC games. Other than that egregious error, I concur with your post. :)

Give it a rest Biggs. You don't like Dickert. You don't like anyone. Jesus Christ could come down and take us to 5-1 and you would be bitching. Posting it 50 f-ing times is plenty.

Disagree a little...

I don't think the coaching was bad against fuw and TexascTech.

But I will always believe coaches need to work and improve just like the players.

I feel like our coaches right now have a really hard time "adjusting" after everyone watches us play our first 4 games.

That and we seem to suck ass defensively on the 1st position of games

Cool. So as long as the coaching is good for 2 of 6, that’s ok? We’ll throw in PSU too to make it 3 of 6. So 50/50 grab bag of what the coaching will be.

Consistency matters. This isn’t middle school football. This is one of the top 100 football jobs in America. Call it a Fortune 100 football job. And 3/6 is ok? How about 2-7 last year in league? How about giving up 702 yards in the Apple Cup? How many red flags do you need to see?

And for those reading this that wonder why 702 yards is such a big deal… This is why… If you have 500 yards of offense, you prob come up with somewhere between 28 and 49 points. Could be some short fields, maybe the other team played bend but don’t break defense… who knows what. But for a certain amount of offense you have a range of points that you prob score. And it creeps up as the yards pile up. 500, 600, 700…. Once you hit 700 yards it wouldn’t surprise me if you scored 63 or even 70 points. 700 yards is demolishing a defense. Your scheme, coaching, play calls, talent is overwhelming. So ask yourself… if Dickfore’s defense gave up 70 to the uw in the Apple Cup, is that ok? Cause the uw barely going over 50 was a gift. That’s why I went off about the uw running up 700. Cause it could have been an epic route. The next time someone drops 70 this year look at the box score. Here’s
one… James Madison 70, North Carolina 50. JMU had 616 yards, UNC had 611.

This year’s schedule was a gift.

Cool. So as long as the coaching is good for 2 of 6, that’s ok? We’ll throw in PSU too to make it 3 of 6. So 50/50 grab bag of what the coaching will be.

Consistency matters. This isn’t middle school football. This is one of the top 100 football jobs in America. Call it a Fortune 100 football job. And 3/6 is ok? How about 2-7 last year in league? How about giving up 702 yards in the Apple Cup? How many red flags do you need to see?

And for those reading this that wonder why 702 yards is such a big deal… This is why… If you have 500 yards of offense, you prob come up with somewhere between 28 and 49 points. Could be some short fields, maybe the other team played bend but don’t break defense… who knows what. But for a certain amount of offense you have a range of points that you prob score. And it creeps up as the yards pile up. 500, 600, 700…. Once you hit 700 yards it wouldn’t surprise me if you scored 63 or even 70 points. 700 yards is demolishing a defense. Your scheme, coaching, play calls, talent is overwhelming. So ask yourself… if Dickfore’s defense gave up 70 to the uw in the Apple Cup, is that ok? Cause the uw barely going over 50 was a gift. That’s why I went off about the uw running up 700. Cause it could have been an epic route. The next time someone drops 70 this year look at the box score. Here’s
one… James Madison 70, North Carolina 50. JMU had 616 yards, UNC had 611.

This year’s schedule was a gift.
Yep....the dude who called the defense in that one game got a big raise to coach at ASU and ASU now leads the Big 12 and he is having success. Brian Ward is well thought of. As to one game vs overall scheme... one year after giving up 700 yards they gave up 24 points and 19 months later they gave up less than 20 to that same team.

Playing Eastern, Portland State, Rutgers, Cal, Arizona , ASU etc was a gift during the Leach years.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
It’s excusable if you are playing at Alabama and you’re getting your dick planted in the dirt every snap by NFL caliber players. It’s inexcusable when you are playing Fresno State and you have 5 seconds to throw. Mateer was aweful and so was Arbuckle. I’ve seen what Mateer CAN do, he’s very limited on drop back make reads and throw receivers open on time. Generally he can’t do it. But you can still run an offense against college defenses that puts up 30+ a game with his skill set. Massive fail the last two games by Arbuckle. He should be on the hot seat, I don’t give a shit that they are 5-1.
arbuckle need to get his play calling act together, the qb draw only works when used soparingly. not as the main rushing attack

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT