ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread. WSU vs. FSU

Holy fck, timeout? Really?

You've known you would go for two since... and you still can't get your shit together?

And then that shit play call that requires Mateer to do the one thing he can't do?

Reactions: ATACFD
Nice WIN!

-Won by 2 scores on the road

-Held Fresno to half their normal scoring production.

Congratulations to Dickert and the Team!

Go Cougs!

At this point in time in Cougar history, this was a massive win.
We are in uncharted waters now as we will probably be favored the remainder of the season.
Definitely could have won by 21, or lost by 7, but all that matters is the W.

Hey, at least we’re not alone with QBs making bad decisions. Ohio state’s QB just did the worst possible thing on the last play against Oregon and let time run out.

Hey, at least we’re not alone with QBs making bad decisions. Ohio state’s QB just did the worst possible thing on the last play against Oregon and let time run out.
Well shit. Ruined an otherwise almost perfect day. Mutts get slaughtered, USC loses. Cougs pull it out. The Ohio State almost had it. Bad clock management. F the Ducks.

Well shit. Ruined an otherwise almost perfect day. Mutts get slaughtered, USC loses. Cougs pull it out. The Ohio State almost had it. Bad clock management. F the Ducks.
that was brutal.

you have the entire middle to throw to and call a time out and that is goes for the 60 yard sideline pass, twice. then runs (literally) the clock out.

The BIG10 should have been content with UCLA and USC. They are soft as butter and have been irrelevant for the last 20 years. Adding Oregon and Washington is going to be a big headache when they have to travel there...

Reactions: Cougini5591

WSU rallies past Fresno State on Ethan O’Connor’s pick-six​

Greg WoodsOct. 12, 2024 at 7:54 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
FRESNO, Calif. – Facing a Washington State offense that couldn’t move the ball, and holding onto a narrow lead, Fresno State gave the Cougars a gift.

Ethan O’Connor happily accepted, jumping on an errant throw in the flat and running back a 60-yard pick-six to give WSU a 25-17 win over the Bulldogs on Saturday in front of 41,031 at Valley Children’s Stadium.

Prior to that play, the Cougars (5-1) had totaled 26 yards of offense in the second half. They watched a 13-7 halftime lead turn into a 17-16 deficit. And yet, the Bulldogs (3-3) weren’t done giving.

FSU return man Jalen Moss made a costly mistake, pinning his team on its own 1-yard line on the ensuing kickoff.

WSU quickly forced a three-and-out and drove down the field for a field goal to take a 25-17 lead with under two minutes left.

Fresno drove into WSU territory, but ran out of time trying to force overtime.

WSU will head home with a win and plenty to work on. The Cougars scored on their first two possessions and then their offense went silent.

Quarterback John Mateer completed 17 of 34 attempts for 172 yards and carried the ball 18 times for 46 yards. He had an interception and a lost fumble in Fresno State territory, while being sacked three times.

The Cougars were outgained 338-295 and totaled just 66 yards in the second half.

The win will negate any bad feeling for the Cougars, however. WSU will return to Gesa Field next week to play Hawaii for its homecoming game. A win and WSU will be bowl eligible.

Last edited:
They lost that game, we didn’t win it. It was ugly. Mateer lacks all the pizzazz he had the first 3 games. They’ve figured him out or BSJC broke him. His accuracy and decision making was awful.

I thought our D was gassed and we would lose the entire half like the collapse last game. But after the pick 6 they they looked strong. I’m thinking it’s not conditioning but motivation. They seemed too easily cowed. But then again, at the end they eased up on the blitz and maybe playing base is our strength. 🤷‍♂️

We were at the game. Definitely a bad day for Mateer and some terrible play calling. Good turnout by Coug fans.

For the most part, Fresno State fans were good to talk to. We had one douchebag FSU fan come into our section late with his WSU girlfriend and he acted like a fuggin’ tool. His sorry ass left after the flop at the one yard line.

Their stadium sucks and would have been the worst venue I’d ever seen except they had a bunch of food trucks and alcohol sales tents scattered around the perimeter of the stadium. That was actually kind of cool. They sold a LOT of beer at that place.

Energy level was pretty meh for the FSU crowd but they did get a little loud after the Coug section got rowdy. Glad we made the trip.

We were at the game. Definitely a bad day for Mateer and some terrible play calling. Good turnout by Coug fans.

For the most part, Fresno State fans were good to talk to. We had one douchebag FSU fan come into our section late with his WSU girlfriend and he acted like a fuggin’ tool. His sorry ass left after the flop at the one yard line.

Their stadium sucks and would have been the worst venue I’d ever seen except they had a bunch of food trucks and alcohol sales tents scattered around the perimeter of the stadium. That was actually kind of cool. They sold a LOT of beer at that place.

Energy level was pretty meh for the FSU crowd but they did get a little loud after the Coug section got rowdy. Glad we made the trip.
Was that you playing the air drums with the Seahawk hat? 😁

They lost that game, we didn’t win it. It was ugly. Mateer lacks all the pizzazz he had the first 3 games. They’ve figured him out or BSJC broke him. His accuracy and decision making was awful.

I thought our D was gassed and we would lose the entire half like the collapse last game. But after the pick 6 they they looked strong. I’m thinking it’s not conditioning but motivation. They seemed too easily cowed. But then again, at the end they eased up on the blitz and maybe playing base is our strength. 🤷‍♂️
Really sorry they didn't live up to you expectations.
its Mateer's 6th game as a starter. Compare his first 6 games to any previous Cougar QB in terms of difficulty of schedule and results. He is doing fine.
The defense held Fresno State to 17 points at home. Not exactly sure what you consider acceptable.

They weren’t his.

27 year old OCs don’t have their own schemes.
If Arbuckle doesn’t get his shit together Dickert needs to fire him at the end of the season. That was a F’n mess for the second week in a row. Parker could have had 200 yards rushing and he got what 11 carries? Mateer is not a drop back passer. He’s an RPO/PA QB. Why are over half his passes with zero play action or RPO? I have no idea what he’s doing or thinking. We should have won this game by 4TDs.

If Arbuckle doesn’t get his shit together Dickert needs to fire him at the end of the season. That was a F’n mess for the second week in a row. Parker could have had 200 yards rushing and he got what 11 carries? Mateer is not a drop back passer. He’s an RPO/PA QB. Why are over half his passes with zero play action or RPO? I have no idea what he’s doing or thinking. We should have won this game by 4TDs.
Gotta admit that it feels that Arbuckle is floundering. A win is a win and all that, but I don’t think anyone watches our team and thinks that the offense is playing well right now.

What in the world is going on in those coaching offices? How do we progressively get worse every October? Arbuckle has 3 plays. 9 route, A-gap with Parker, qb draw. Schmedding plays our two decent corners 9 yards off WRs. We rush 2 or 4 for 85% of the game and get pressure finally in the 4th with blitzes. I can’t figure out what we’re doing? Starting to hop off the Dickert vetting process for his coordinators. This is just weak. Our offense has gradually lost all identity over 3 weeks. Presumably, we are being outcoached again once we get into meat of our conference and teams have a couple weeks of film. It’s getting really old.

Gotta admit that it feels that Arbuckle is floundering. A win is a win and all that, but I don’t think anyone watches our team and thinks that the offense is playing well right now.
Mateer is far from a polished QB but he’s got some strengths that a good OC could capitalize on. Arbuckle is doing him no favors. This line can run block, let the run game be Mateers friend. He likes being out on the edge use play action to get him there. It looked most of the night like we were drawing shit up in the dirt. Absolutely awful and 90% of that is on Arbuckle.

its Mateer's 6th game as a starter. Compare his first 6 games to any previous Cougar QB in terms of difficulty of schedule and results. He is doing fine.
The defense held Fresno State to 17 points at home. Not exactly sure what you consider acceptable.

Do you think they lived up to their own expectations? Do you think Dickfore is gonna turn on the film today and say “yeah, this was as good as we could expect.”

A 48% passer compared to other WSU passers in their first 6 games? Sit down and shut the fck up with that horse shit.

A 48% passer gets benched. He doesn’t even get to finish the game under Leach.

Holy tap dancing Moses. What won’t you make excuses for?

Lol I bet you get big mad at me though. Not a 48% passer, not bad coaching, big mad at me for saying you’re standards are non existent.

Reactions: ATACFD
What in the world is going on in those coaching offices? How do we progressively get worse every October? Arbuckle has 3 plays. 9 route, A-gap with Parker, qb draw. Schmedding plays our two decent corners 9 yards off WRs. We rush 2 or 4 for 85% of the game and get pressure finally in the 4th with blitzes. I can’t figure out what we’re doing? Starting to hop off the Dickert vetting process for his coordinators. This is just weak. Our offense has gradually lost all identity over 3 weeks. Presumably, we are being outcoached again once we get into meat of our conference and teams have a couple weeks of film. It’s getting really old.

Imagine you’re COCoug… You’re working the fries at McDonald’s…. The next year you get bumped up. Awesome right! You’re now the manager of the store. And a year later you get ownership of the store! Hell yeah! Even better. Then 2 years later the CEO gets fired. You get the job! You’re now the CEO of the company! Fck yeah!

Is it possible that COCoug goes from fries to manager to owner to CEO in short order and does an amazing job? Yes it is. Is it likely? Nope. Way too much knowledge missing. Way too little experience. Easily tons of other more qualified candidates too. The leap is just too great to overcome.

Jake Dickfore ….

2018 asst at Wyoming
2019 DC at Wyoming
2020 DC at WSU
2021 interim HC at WSU
2022 HC at WSU

Coaching safeties to $2,700,000 head coach inside 5 years?

You’re wondering what’s going on in the offices. Lemme tell you, the staff is wondering too. They are not 5-1 because of the staff. They are 5-1 in spite of the staff AND the weakest schedule in 50 years at WSU.

48% passer. Holy fck!

Do you think they lived up to their own expectations? Do you think Dickfore is gonna turn on the film today and say “yeah, this was as good as we could expect.”

A 48% passer compared to other WSU passers in their first 6 games? Sit down and shut the fck up with that horse shit.

A 48% passer gets benched. He doesn’t even get to finish the game under Leach.

Holy tap dancing Moses. What won’t you make excuses for?

Lol I bet you get big mad at me though. Not a 48% passer, not bad coaching, big mad at me for saying you’re standards are non existent.
48% is inexcusable for a starting qb,

Wow. That's a pretty bold challenge considering every other QB had a P5 schedule, but just off the top of my head : Gordo? Minshew?

Downright terrible. Should be benched. Both qb and OC.
You refer to Leach didn't he lose to Portland State and Eastern ? Wasn't he slightly over .500...

Yes bench Mateer... and Rosenbach in 87, as he had 13 TD's and 24 picks and probably five picks for TD's

Do you bench these two Qb's... Stats are season ending. 11 td's and 11 picks and 18 TD's and 13 picks?

People wanted to get rid of Ward, now he is a Heisman finalist. Emmet Brown is having a nice season at San Jose...

If this was the Pac 12 , coukd WSU beat UCLA, UW, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, Utah,CU, OSU and even USC?

Fresno is a solid team at home...

UW was 12-0 and had numerous ugly games... Stanford, ASU (had game won), WSU just off the top of my head. So a win is a win. Yes they need to clean stuff up. I saw Fa'amoe start to really play well and open stuff up for Parker, and Parker will see the film and see he probably had two holes which would have given him a chance at 6.

On defense Keith Brown starting to make plays .

Back in the old days when we used the JC for our receivers you could almost book it, it took those transfer the first five games to learn how to put on their jocks . Then from game six on they took off. I think there are a couple of players that will start playing like they belong .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT