ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo sports say salary is

He was only making $600,000 at Hawaii. Jackpot in Pullman! I was hoping to get someone like him for less and have the savings go into assistants pool. Maybe we'll look back someday and say it was a great investment.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
I wouldn't have gone over $2.5M in this case.

2.5 M wouldn't land a sitting HC. Rolovich could have turned us down in favor of a slight raise at Hawaii and with another good year at Hawaii he'd get a bigger payday next year. The market is what the market is.

If no big fish chipped in to send Ernie bye bye (meaning he is getting his full 2020 salary) and with Smith's salary, that means in 2020 the men's basketball head coach position will cost WSU more than the football coach position (since Leach's positive buyout hits the 2020 books).

Basketball aint drawing flies (WL record and Pac12 Network televising every home game)

2.5 M wouldn't land a sitting HC. Rolovich could have turned us down in favor of a slight raise at Hawaii and with another good year at Hawaii he'd get a bigger payday next year. The market is what the market is.

I mean, $3M in the P12, according to this, would put him 7th highest paid coach in the conference....I think $2.5M would've been fair in this case, but what do I know?

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Chun wouldn’t have paid him $3mill if he didn’t feel he was a $3mill coach.

hope Chun is giving him a raise and rolling him over this time next year.
$3 mil was what everyone thought the new HC would get.

Its kinda bullsh!t the way that the system is structured now.

He has won zero P12 games - that warrants 12 position in the P12 salary. That being said, build in a TON of incentives that would easily pay him commensurate with his win total. If we're brave enough to bet on him, shouldn't he be brave enough to bet on himself? Its not like 12th in the P12 is chump change (what, $2MM?).

He has won zero P12 games - that warrants 12 position in the P12 salary. That being said, build in a TON of incentives that would easily pay him commensurate with his win total. If we're brave enough to bet on him, shouldn't he be brave enough to bet on himself? Its not like 12th in the P12 is chump change (what, $2MM?).
He might be 12th in 2 years. Have you seen how fast these contracts are jumping? In the unlikely event that we win 10+ games next year and he’s already getting a raise he will probably be 9th or 10th by then. This is the market it is what it is.

He might be 12th in 2 years. Have you seen how fast these contracts are jumping? In the unlikely event that we win 10+ games next year and he’s already getting a raise he will probably be 9th or 10th by then. This is the market it is what it is.
I fully expect Chun to keep his pay competitive with how the team is performing and somewhere mid-P12. You should expect that too.

I fully expect Chun to keep his pay competitive with how the team is performing and somewhere mid-P12. You should expect that too.
I do. But that’s not the way these contracts work. He’s in the first year of his deal, and sounds like becoming highly sought after. Let’s assume every school has their guy under a 4 year contract, 12 schools, that means on average at least 3 contracts were turning over each year...most likely going up..meaning our guy just slipped to 10th or so.

In his eyes if he’s a PAC-12 coach he should be paid PAC-12 money. And he’s not coming unless he is...confident he will just cash in on the next opportunity next year.

you don’t have to like it but that’s reality.

I do. But that’s not the way these contracts work. He’s in the first year of his deal, and sounds like becoming highly sought after. Let’s assume every school has their guy under a 4 year contract, 12 schools, that means on average at least 3 contracts were turning over each year...most likely going up..meaning our guy just slipped to 10th or so.

In his eyes if he’s a PAC-12 coach he should be paid PAC-12 money. And he’s not coming unless he is...confident he will just cash in on the next opportunity next year.

What strawman are you arguing? No one said to not pay P12 salary. I specifically said to pay P12 salary, and to keep it competitive.

I said I wish coach contracts were more incentive based. It makes sense across the board and would be beneficial to all except the ultra-rich schools who don't mind paying $10MM/ yr. Same Base salary across the board + incentives based on wins and post season performance.

If WSU wants to be seen as a P5 school, they have to act like one and pay the going rate. I think this is a message that Chun is sending.

He was 2–1 in PAC 12 last year.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT