ADVERTISEMENT

JDL

Certainly gives Cooper an opportunity to battle with Guarantano for the no. 1 spot. Maybe even position himself for the job next year. I also think additional reps for Xavier Ward won't be a bad thing.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Not much for spring ball last year. Not much for pre season camp this year. Gave the starting job to a kid that hadnt had so much as a cup of coffee in the program. Didnt give the other kids crap for reps until the 4 game season was almost over. One of the kids leaves. Signs a transfer. Now your starter gets a DUI and is suspended.

Not impressed.

What are they gonna do? Hold JDL out of spring ball? Now where is the offense?

In a time when the program needs consistency and stability, this is a challenge. This is mickey mouse bullshit that P5 programs can’t afford to have happen.

This isn’t high school football JDL. Millions of dollars at stake here. Figure it the f&ck out!

Sit his ass down with a redshirt. No spring ball. See you in the fall on scout team.

Kid got in trouble driving drunk. O.K., pay the fine and do the time. But this brings another thought to mind, where was he drinking and how many others were present? Apparently not at home if he was returning. Is he aware of the pandemic and possible spread among the rest of the team? Not good and with potential ramifications exceeding legal problems.

Kid got in trouble driving drunk. O.K., pay the fine and do the time. But this brings another thought to mind, where was he drinking and how many others were present? Apparently not at home if he was returning. Is he aware of the pandemic and possible spread among the rest of the team? Not good and with potential ramifications exceeding legal problems.
I went to Gambinos in Moscow Saturday night coming back from a basketball tournie. If you think the students are sheltering in place I have a bridge you may be interested in tgat I could sell you.

Reactions: Coug90
I know for his age the DUI laws are different. But something obvious to me is they only did a field sobriety test and then cited him. I was under the impression an actual breathalyzer was needed (done at a police station) for the evidence to carry weight in court. He may have to confessed to having alcohol which might be enough evidence for a DUI for underaged drivers.

I know for his age the DUI laws are different. But something obvious to me is they only did a field sobriety test and then cited him. I was under the impression an actual breathalyzer was needed (done at a police station) for the evidence to carry weight in court. He may have to confessed to having alcohol which might be enough evidence for a DUI for underaged drivers.
Per Theo’s Twitter, he refused the breathalyzer.

Per Theo’s Twitter, he refused the breathalyzer.

Refusing the breathalyzer carries the same punishment as getting popped for a DUI.

Again, don't see this as a bad thing. De Laura wasn't going to start this year regardless and there are more talented options to back up Guarantano. Last thing this program needs is JDL getting 5 years as the starter because he's the experienced option.

I went to Gambinos in Moscow Saturday night coming back from a basketball tournie. If you think the students are sheltering in place I have a bridge you may be interested in tgat I could sell you.

Yup. It’s frustrating to hear about something like this for all the obvious reasons...why do you even need to drive in Pullman, you can walk from one side of campus to the other in 15 min. Pandemic, who you drinking with? You’re supposed to be a leader...at the end of the day he’s still a kid and kids do stupid shit. Always have always will. He’s not helping himself with an experienced transfer already coming in. How he responds will tell the coaches and his teammates (who cares about us) a lot about who he is. Learn from your mistake, take responsibility and your punishment, bust your ass and be a good teammate.

Nope. BAC is the best evidence, but not required.

Was the tourney in Boise ?

Refusing the breathalyzer carries the same punishment as getting popped for a DUI.
Depends which breathalyzer he refused. If it was the field test, no big deal. If he got to the police station and refused there, he just lost his license for a year.

Considering that he’s underage anyway, if field testing showed any impairment, he’s pretty much cooked. But the breathalyzer provides the slam-dunk evidence that’s hard to defend against. Without it, maybe the prosecutor is more willing to come off of the DUI charge and get him with something else.

Regardless...what a dumbass. But then...how many of us did the same thing, whether we got caught or not?

In no way a good thing, but it makes the scenario of Guarantano or Cooper getting a fair shot and running with it, and JdL getting the redshirt he could benefit from anyway, more plausible and more palatable to all concerned.

Regardless...what a dumbass. But then...how many of us did the same thing, whether we got caught or not?

True, but how many of us had the chance to be a starting QB at a D1 school? There has got to be a realization that much more is at stake with these players. Although understanding future consequences does seem to be something 18-22 year olds have trouble with no matter who they are. One thing I learned at my time at WSU is about the age curve and delinquency/crime It's almost biological and crosses all ethnicities and cultures that crime rates rise dramatically in the 16-22 age bracket. The frontal cortex is wired for more risk taking at that time and hasn't fully developed.

Pullman is like a mouse trap designed to entice and catch young drunk drivers. You feel like you are in a tiny town where nothing could happen, but there are cops everywhere, weird intersections, dark streets, stop signs behind branches and shrubs, and a ton of inexperienced drinkers and novice drivers. Not an excuse for JDL, more of a musing that all of us here didn't get one...

WSU, the place where 10 to 15 to 20, 4, FOUR STARS in football, go to either:

Commit crimes, do drugs, fail academically, not pan out, not develop, not get coached up, wash out, get suspended, transfer out, etc.

No spring ball. Redshirt him, make him bust his but to even earn a back up spot, let alone become a starter before he grads, leaves WSU, if he grads, etc.

Seriously if the transfer, Cooper, Ward, were to all get injured, then JDL still Redshirts. Even if it were to kill the season. Send a Message, make a example.

This makes it the Transfer Guarantano or however, whatever the spelling of his name is, makes it the Transfer's job as the favorite to be the starter, his atarting job to lose, unless Cooper does a completely UNEXPECTED HERCULEAN performance and TAKES the starter job from the Transfer

WSU, the place where 10 to 15 to 20, 4, FOUR STARS in football, go to either:

Commit crimes, do drugs, fail academically, not pan out, not develop, not get coached up, wash out, get suspended, transfer out, etc.

No spring ball. Redshirt him, make him bust his but to even earn a back up spot, let alone become a starter before he grads, leaves WSU, if he grads, etc.

Seriously if the transfer, Cooper, Ward, were to all get injured, then JDL still Redshirts. Even if it were to kill the season. Send a Message, make a example.

This makes it the Transfer Guarantano or however, whatever the spelling of his name is, makes it the Transfer's job as the favorite to be the starter, his atarting job to lose, unless Cooper does a completely UNEXPECTED HERCULEAN performance and TAKES the starter job from the Transfer
I think the transfer probably is the favorite already...but he’s a kid who F’d up. So even if he still manages to be the best QB going into next season and has earned his teammates trust back he should be a 4th string redshirt because of one dumb decision? Mind you I already thought he had a lot of developing to do after last year and this isn’t helping his cause but I think the soap box BS is a bit overdone. You say the coach needs an example? I also think it’s important to have examples of kids who weren’t always perfect but grew up and grew into great players and leaders. This isn’t the first time or last that a player is gonna make a dumb mistake.

Yup. It’s frustrating to hear about something like this for all the obvious reasons...why do you even need to drive in Pullman, you can walk from one side of campus to the other in 15 min. Pandemic, who you drinking with? You’re supposed to be a leader...at the end of the day he’s still a kid and kids do stupid shit. Always have always will. He’s not helping himself with an experienced transfer already coming in. How he responds will tell the coaches and his teammates (who cares about us) a lot about who he is. Learn from your mistake, take responsibility and your punishment, bust your ass and be a good teammate.

Its estimated that almost 1/3 of Americans have already had the virus(anti body testing). 100 million. Just not all knew they had it or got tested. It’s probably a statistically safe bet to assume college campuses are WAY over 33% immunity. They’ve been “at it”since August according to my daughter. Frankly, I’d be surprised if a college kids on campus didn’t have it by now. Note nationwide declining cases that are not yet being impacted by vaccinations.

Its estimated that almost 1/3 of Americans have already had the virus(anti body testing). 100 million. Just not all knew they had it or got tested. It’s probably a statistically safe bet to assume college campuses are WAY over 33% immunity. They’ve been “at it”since August according to my daughter. Frankly, I’d be surprised if a college kids on campus didn’t have it by now. Note nationwide declining cases that are not yet being impacted by vaccinations.
Shhhhhh....don't let that news get out!

Pullman is like a mouse trap designed to entice and catch young drunk drivers. You feel like you are in a tiny town where nothing could happen, but there are cops everywhere, weird intersections, dark streets, stop signs behind branches and shrubs, and a ton of inexperienced drinkers and novice drivers. Not an excuse for JDL, more of a musing that all of us here didn't get one...

For all the reasons you listed, Pullman is a tough and dangerous place to drive when one is completely sober.

If the reduced spread was solely due to increased immunity, we’d still be seeing seasonal flu. We’re really not. So either we’ve lucked into the mildest flu season in decades at the perfect moment, or masking and distancing actually does reduce propagation of disease.

Go pollute another thread with covid talk. Holy tap dancing Moses not every ****ing conversation has to be about the flu.

**** off with that shit. Let's talk football.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
Separately, you import these jocks who are PEAKING on testosterone, throw in some booze, and see what happens.

When I was in Pullman, the football guys would walk around in packs of 3+ and just try to force their way into parties, like mean drunks, fighting anyone who wouldn't let them in. There were constant reports, like every other week, of football players crashing parties and being ready to throw down with anyone who had a problem with it. Even when they got in peacefully, it's hard to be ready to rumble and then just turn it off when you gain admission. I'm sure it was the same in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and today.

About 100 million cases. About 500k dead. About a 1/2 of 1% Mortality Rate.

FLU: Mortality Rate: About 1%.

So FLU's Mortality Rate is HIGHER then Covid Mortality rate.

So since FLU Mortality rate is higher, then should lockdown everything to stop FLU.

But hey, its so important to lockdown everything, society, school, College, etc, ESPECIALLY College, where the chance of a College student dying from Covid is so infinitessimally small.

So since FLU Mortality rate is higher, then should lockdown everything to stop FLU.

But hey, its so important to lockdown everything, society, school, College, etc, ESPECIALLY College, where the chance of a College student dying from Covid is so infinitessimally small.
Aaaaand...here we go 🙄

By the way, what you or I or anyone else believes about the severity of it is completely irrelevant to this conversation. Why you say? Because games were already F’ing cancelled because of players testing positive. So there has already been consequences that these guys have lived through (missing a game you prepared for) because they didn’t follow protocols. Death is not the only consequence.

Last edited:

Making up numbers. 27 million cases in the us. 465,000 deaths. Still 1.7%. Death from the flu.... one tenth of one percent.

You’ve got things very backward.
Estimated mortality for flu is around 0.1% annually. That’s based on number of infections. If it was 1% like you say, we’d be looking at a half million dead every year.

Case fatality rate for covid is running at about 1.7% in the US. Estimated infection fatality rate is something less than 0.5%, depending on what assumptions you make.

Either way, covid mortality is higher than flu. I haven’t seen an estimate that shows less than a factor of 2. Even more dramatic this year, since hardly anyone is even getting the flu, much less dying of it.

You’ve got things very backward.
Estimated mortality for flu is around 0.1% annually. That’s based on number of infections. If it was 1% like you say, we’d be looking at a half million dead every year.

Case fatality rate for covid is running at about 1.7% in the US. Estimated infection fatality rate is something less than 0.5%, depending on what assumptions you make.

Either way, covid mortality is higher than flu. I haven’t seen an estimate that shows less than a factor of 2. Even more dramatic this year, since hardly anyone is even getting the flu, much less dying of it.
And Game cancellation (and lifting, position group meetings, spring practice participation, etc) is 100% out when enough players test positive. So if you want to play ball, take the necessary measures and as a leader encourage the same of your teammates.

Making up numbers. 27 million cases in the us. 465,000 deaths. Still 1.7%. Death from the flu.... one tenth of one percent.

Non estimated account is about 20 Mil+ cases and about 450k dead.

That's about a 1.7% Mortality rate.
Thats close enough to the the OFFICIAL 27 MIL cases, 465k dead, etc, you mention.

The 100 mil cases thing is a pretty CREDIBLE ESTIMATION.

There is a lot more then 27 mil cases.

There are a lot of cases that dont get reported. For every 1 case that is known, gets reported, there is about 3,4,5 cases that dont get reported.

That's where that credible about 100 Mil cases is coming from.

And about 500k dead is close enough.

So whether 100 mill cases and 465k dead, or 100 mil cases, and 500k dead, your still looking at about 1/2 of 1% Mortality Rate.

And the FLU being about a 1% Mortality rate is close enough, because you dont go by this year, which is a FLUKE LOW FLU year.

In the semi recent, no so distant past there has been a semi lot of BAD, HIGH Super Flu years with not only lots of cases, but a higher to a lot higher Mortality Rate, then the FLUKE Low Flu year this year, etc.

According to the higher flu cases, mortality rates of the past, and throwing out low flu ywars like this year.

The highest Flu Mortality rate has been about 1/4 to 1/2 to 3/4 to 1% mortality rate an a higher mortality rate then the Covid 100 mil cases, 465k dead, mortality rate.

The Legit, Valid point I was making is that Covid, Flu are comparable, and that Covid Mortality rate has been about equal, and less bad, then the Flu, when the Flu has been at its worst, and that because of that the lockdowns are even more REDICULOUS.

That's a legit point

STICKLERISM FOR EXACT MATH, NUMBERS IS NOT NEEDED.

CREDIBLE APPROXIMATIONS, NUMBERS THAT ARE CLOSE ENOUGH IA GOOD ENOUGH to make a truthful, factual, credible, legit, etc, point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT