ADVERTISEMENT

Leach interview - link

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
He certainly doesn’t go out of his way to confirm or deny anything. WSU is the job he is right now.

coach speak for "im not addressing any other job, im working here and coaching here". I don't take anything away from that.

Reactions: metprof
coach speak for "im not addressing any other job, im working here and coaching here". I don't take anything away from that.

I do, but I don’t begrudge Leach for it. He lets it be known that he is open to all offers.

Does anyone know if the agreement in principle on an extension for Leach that was previously announced has progressed to the point of a signed contract extension? Leach is a master contract negotiator so I wouldn’t be surprised if he managed to get more money or other concessions before signing. At least I hope that’s all he’s up to. His leaving right now would be a disaster for Coug athletics.

It appears to me the only chance Chun has to meet his optimistic revenue projections is continued high performance in football. Basketball doesn’t seem to be in a position to contribute much. The 2 or 3 year drop off in football performance and attendance/revenue that would come with a new coach would almost certainly cost Chun his job and leave Coug athletics as a financial disaster area.

I don’t think he’s leaving this year, or any year necessarily, but he clearly likes to keep all of his business channels open. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that either.

Reactions: SDCoug
Does anyone know if the agreement in principle on an extension for Leach that was previously announced has progressed to the point of a signed contract extension? Leach is a master contract negotiator so I wouldn’t be surprised if he managed to get more money or other concessions before signing. At least I hope that’s all he’s up to. His leaving right now would be a disaster for Coug athletics.

It appears to me the only chance Chun has to meet his optimistic revenue projections is continued high performance in football. Basketball doesn’t seem to be in a position to contribute much. The 2 or 3 year drop off in football performance and attendance/revenue that would come with a new coach would almost certainly cost Chun his job and leave Coug athletics as a financial disaster area.

I dont think there would be drop off at all unless Chun hired poorly.

Reactions: mikalalas

No signature is required. It's the automatic rollover that adds a year to his contract unless either side opts out. It was PR more than substance.

If he's looking for concessions, it's probably for an increase for the assistants.

I think the formula for continued winning when Leach leaves or retires is to keep the air raid going and hire a coach/OC within his coaching tree. Those guys usually wouldn't have a huge buyout. Lincoln Riley type hire.

Putting a big buyout on Leach makes sense, as you can see from these searches it is a major deterrent.

I was in Beasely the night he said it. I think we were both drunk at the time.
I was there as well. I was so pissed when he left.

Funny how time heals wounds. I’m still mad when I think about it. But I tend not to think about it much anymore and generally feel proud that he was our coach.

Can’t help but wonder if we put up another nine, or even ten wins in 1989 if he stayed. Rosey was tight with him and maybe he stays as well if coach came back.

Funny how time heals wounds. I’m still mad when I think about it. But I tend not to think about it much anymore and generally feel proud that he was our coach.

Can’t help but wonder if we put up another nine, or even ten wins in 1989 if he stayed. Rosey was tight with him and maybe he stays as well if coach came back.
Rosie wasn't attending class, wouldnt have been eligible. He was on the Senator Blutarsky academic progress track.
If Walden had taken Wyoming gig after 1985 season, Erickson's WL record at WSU by the time Jankovich replaced Jimmy Johnson wouldnt have been good enough to land the Miami gig.
Comversely if Walden had lingered on into 1987 season, he would've been fired. His act got really stale by 1986.

Rosey wasn't academically eligible for the next year. At least that's what he told me the very same night as we were knocking back beers at Rustys.

Edited...Sorry FnuLnu, didn't see your post

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT