ADVERTISEMENT

Official game thread. Cougs vs. Falcons

Fab remember when someone called you an idiot and you took offense to it. I take the same offense when YOU tell me what I love and don't love, especially when I tell you my EXACT feelings of the subject.

First, my lack of economy for words doesn't have a reflection on my love, like, or dislike of the subject. Second, Wulff is a NAME to me. It could have been Sumlin if he was hired, put in that job with no D 1 head coaching experience. Or it could have been a Jonathan Smith type asst coach put in the situation in 2008. I would have had the same patience, and the same reaction 10 years later if some fired coach came up. Now if Wulff or someone of his ilk came after 2015 I would have a much different patience level and time-line. (for example, it could take Leach another two years to get this team back to nine to 10 wins .

I don't like to talk politics with my dad and older sister. But when I was visiting with them and Fox news came on, I got up and started to move to another room. Then my dad opened the "dialogue door" and said "why don't you like Trump"? And no, I did not keep my mouth shut at that point. But I did not bring up the subject. So no I don't love to talk about Wulff, but will do so when people bring up his name especially when they have gone out of their way to do so.

Finally, the subjects I "love to talk about". Love the Walden veer even though not nearly as efficient as the Air Raid. I am an unabashed Walden lover, even to the point where I have rose colored glasses and fully admit it.

I don't love talk recruiting, meaning current recruits that either just signed, verbaled, or are waiting to sign. Every coach tends to puff up the class, and it isn't until I see them on campus that I personally can offer any sort of opinion, good or bad.

I apologize if I offended you.

And if Sumlin or Smith recruited players like Dahl, Bucanon, Wilson, Paulo, Cooper, Hoffman Ellis, Forzani, Tuel (never started before he was offered) Halliday, I would say they had Mike Price's eye for talent.

Oh man, you were making an ok point, but then included Johnny Forzani for some reason and totally derailed it.

You could have gone with Travis Long there. Or even Toni Pole, or John Fullington, or Dom Williams. Heck, I would have even understood Jake Rodgers or Devonte Booker.

But nope, you went with Johnny Forzani.

Again, you are slightly incorrect. I was very concerned about his recruiting. There is a poster on this board that can recall a phone call when Wulff was hired. Because this was his family business and had D1 coaches in the fam, I fall out asked him, how is Wulff going to recruit and DOES he know what a Pac 10 athlete look like.

I took it one step farther when I had a similar conversation with a client of mine, who had been an OC at numerous what is now power 5 conferences. He looked at me and said Ed, D2 coaches are better talent evaporators. So I had a wait and see attitude.

When the best player on defense at the end of 2008 was the last player recruited in Feb of 2008, it gave me pause to see what else was on that roster. And yes, he did offer some kids that no one would take a whiff at. And he was right. Look no further than Dahl. There was ONE coach coming out of High School that thought he had D 1 potential.

So yeah, their staff had to scratch around and find the diamond in the rough, and he did a good job at that.

A lot of words for someone that is just a NAME. You’d think this NAME was someone unjustly fired and not a guy that went 9-40.

Oh man, you were making an ok point, but then included Johnny Forzani for some reason and totally derailed it.

You could have gone with Travis Long there. Or even Toni Pole, or John Fullington, or Dom Williams. Heck, I would have even understood Jake Rodgers or Devonte Booker.

Jake Rogers started for the Denver Broncos last game. Not really any other point other than that. If a guy cracks a starting NFL lineup at any point, he certainly has potential as a recruit!

And if Sumlin or Smith recruited players like Dahl, Bucanon, Wilson, Paulo, Cooper, Hoffman Ellis, Forzani, Tuel (never started before he was offered) Halliday, I would say they had Mike Price's eye for talent.

Some of those guys had the good fortune of playing for a real coach. Some of them didn’t. The Iron Laws don’t account for player development, just the magic eye for talent.

Bite your tongue. Johnny Forzani was one of the greatest Italian Canadian football players to ever suit up for the Crimson and Gray.

Reactions: Coug90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT